Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    The problem is every time you pee, sweat, or breathe with your mouth open, you lose potassium amongst other electrolytes. So if you're exercising you're doing at least 2 of the 3 and your body can't replace the electrolytes fast enough to compensate. OTHO: if you're not experiencing any problems like leg cramps or extreme fatigue and are recovering ok, as always, go with what works for you.
    CorsairMac you seem to know many things about the human body ... maybe you can help me with something:
    Recently ... almost every time I go out biking ... my stomach acids invade my esophagus. Is that a major problem ? How do I stop that ?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen
    CorsairMac you seem to know many things about the human body ... maybe you can help me with something:
    Recently ... almost every time I go out biking ... my stomach acids invade my esophagus. Is that a major problem ? How do I stop that ?
    Thanks.
    My first thought would be: what are you eating prior to riding and/or during your ride?
    Also: do you have problems with acid reflux at any other time??

You might try keeping a food diary and see if you can narrow down what is triggering the reponse.
    There are also several nutrionists on the board that might be able to help you better!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

I agree with Corsair... what have you been eating in the previous 12 hours or so...?

Maybe keep a food diary so you can make links (if there are any) between your reflux and food.

Food type is the most logical place to begin...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

As they say: if the problem persists, visit your doctor - there are some pretty effective medications for chronic acid reflux.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Little bit on acid reflux from Cycling News.

I also read some place recently that RAAM riders stay away from acid foods because it makes their mouths sore. Can't remember where I read this.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?...ters10-11#Acid

Acid reflux
    I am 22 years old male who has been cycling for about 7 months. I suffer occasional acid reflux and gastro-irritation post rides, I have seen the doctor, and taken blood samples but there seems to be nothing wrong with my stomach nor liver. I wonder if you know what might have caused it?
    Jason

Pam Hinton replies:
    This would genuinely qualify as a pain in the neck. The only personal experience I have with this phenomenon would be friends who have learned the hard way what and when they can and can't eat prior to high-intensity races like crits. So it might be that a little gastric circumspection on your part will do the trick.

Acid reflux happens when the valve between the esophagus and stomach (the lower esophageal sphincter, LES) is not working properly. Normally, the LES only relaxes when you are swallowing so food can pass from the esophagus to the stomach. When the LES relaxes at other times, stomach acid flows the wrong direction (reflux), irritating the esophagus. Chocolate, peppermint, spearmint, onions and fat cause the LES to relax. Alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, and some medications also cause relaxation of the LES. When the stomach contents exert a lot of pressure on the LES, acid may reflux into the esophagus. Gastric pressure is increased when food stays in the stomach too long (delayed gastric emptying), after eating a large meal, or laying down after eating. Exercise can divert blood flow from the gastrointestinal tract and slow gastric emptying. If you eat too much too close to the time you ride, that last meal may stay in your stomach and cause reflux-especially if, as in the case of the friends I mentioned earlier, your ride happens to be a walk on the hammerin' side. For immediate relief from the burning and irritation post-ride, try taking an over-the-counter antacid. These medications work by directly neutralizing the acid. As for a remedy during the ride, at least one of my friends swears that slamming a Coke helps. Not sure why it would work, but maybe things actually do go better with that stuff.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    My first thought would be: what are you eating prior to riding and/or during your ride?
    Also: do you have problems with acid reflux at any other time??

You might try keeping a food diary and see if you can narrow down what is triggering the reponse.
    There are also several nutrionists on the board that might be able to help you better!
    Well, it kind of happens almost every time I ride ... no matter what I eat.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    For immediate relief from the burning and irritation post-ride, try taking an over-the-counter antacid. These medications work by directly neutralizing the acid. As for a remedy during the ride, at least one of my friends swears that slamming a Coke helps. Not sure why it would work, but maybe things actually do go better with that stuff.[/I]
    Thanks SadieKate for your impressive answer (or quote).
    I don't see how this Coke could help me since that liquid contains acid by itself (???) ... but I will surely try. I did a little research on the net and found that Maalox is a good remedy. Do you know anything about it ?