Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Chicken Update

Chicken Update

To disable ads, please log-in.

Before the Memorial Day weekend, I posted a thread, asking for tips on adjusting from my Terry Classic, a touring bike, to a new (used) ltd edition Terry racing bike I recently purchased. I got lots of good advice, so thanks to all. Well, wouldn't you know it, I went to my favorite bike store and tried out a Specialized Dolce Elite---the guy at the store made sure the bike fit me, etc. I figured that I couldn't go wrong because the store has a 30 day return policy.
    Of course, I was too chicken to ride it at first. I compared it to my racing bike in terms of size/fit. The toe overlap isn't half as bad on the Dolce and the reach is a smidge over a inch shorter on the Dolce. The Terry--which is a lovely bike w/high end everything--fits me, but it's a racing bike, which I'm not ready to ride, skills-wise.
    Today, I figured that my fear of riding the Dolce was stupid. I'm 42 years old and have had plenty of bone-breaking athletic mishaps which I survived. In addition, my riding skills are pretty solid since I've been riding every day that we don't have rain. So, with slight trepidation, I took her out this morning. I got going bright and early (my favorite time to ride, regardless) at 5:30am before the Lance wannabees, the wobbly beginners, kid-trailer towers and the roller bladers hit the trail. After the first couple miles--down two big hills, one of which is curvy, I was feeling good. The more I rode, the greater my confidence. The bike is wonderful -- much better suspension than my Classic, smoother shifting, etc. I actually find the road bike "posture" more comfortable than being more upright, as there was less pressure on my wrists. What a difference on the downhills I kept my hands on the hoods and the sides of the handlebars. I'm not yet ready for the drops, but that will come with time.
    Of course, I had a little discomfort in the hands/arms from the different riding position. But that's just a temporary thing. I put in 20 miles before deciding to head for home. A big THANKS to everyone who gave me advice, support, and most of all, courage. I now feel like a "real" roadie, now that I'm on a "real roadie" ride. My goal is to ride the Terry racing bike by the end of '05!

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Sounds great! 20 miles on any new bike is a good accomplishment!

mickchick, I'm riding a Terry Classic too. Do you notice a difference in handling, specifically cornering, on your new bike?

Snapdragen--My Classic is a 19"er so I have the smaller front wheel. The Dolce has a regular sized front wheel so I noticed a difference when steering. Kind of like going from a Miata to a "big rig." OK, I'm exaggerating a bit. That, combined with the different hand/body position, make cornering feel different. It might just be that this bike is so much different from my Classic and I need to adjust. At first, it was a bit of work to move the bigger front wheel in corners, know what I mean? The bike didn't feel as agile as my Classic, but then again, it might just be because of the differences I mentioned and the fact that I haven't ridden a true road bike since I was 16. After I got used to the Dolce, I felt like I had good control of the bike, even on the corners. I still love my Classic, though.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Sounds great!

I always use to look at the peeps on road bikes... in all their garb... and think "that looks cool", but I NEVER thought it would be ME!

Then, last year when I decided to start doing triathlons... I was motivated to buy a road bike.

Now, 10 months later... I am one of those weirdos on a road bike... in that crazy gear... and I think it makes me cool! HA!

Mickchick, congrats on the Dolce. I also have one and love it as I have mentioned in many posts. May you have many enjoyable rides!!!

~JoAnn