Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Gravel trail with a road bike?

Only a few roads near my house have dedicated bicycle lanes and being a fairly new rider, I'm always looking for more bike friendly routes. I can easily add at least 10 miles to my routine loop--connecting one bicycle-friendly road to another--by traveling about 1.5 miles on a gravel fitness trail. I've used this trail many times before on my hybrid, but never on a road bike. I don't know the trail composition, but it's fairly-fine, packed gravel. Is this a wise move to consider? Thanks for your opinions!

hi, Traveling on gravel with skinny tires is tiresome. You should just try it to see if it's worth it. After 8 miles, my arms and neck were killing me from the vibrations
    and I had to hang on tighter to steer too.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I find it stressfull. With every 'pop' of a chunk of gravel scooting out of the way, I'm afraid it's my tire.
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    We ride on gravel and rocky roads frequently out here in the country. Our tires are 700x28's and 700x25's, all with kevlar type flat belts, and they have no problem at all on very sharp rough stony gravel. Actually, I sort of get a kick out of picking my way through the scary lunar landscape for a mile or two between paved roads to avoid the worst stone 'daggers' that stick up...adds variety. Haven't had a flat from it yet...I've only had flats due to unseen glass shards on smooth paved roads.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think it just depends on how fine the gravel is and how hard packed it is. I've been on some that aren't much different from pavement, on some that have nearly shaken my teeth out, and some that are very scary because the gravel is very loose. It sounds like your trail might be OK--just give it a try.
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

I ride on gravel with 23s. I use slime tubes, so I don't worry too much about flats.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I've done it on 700x23 race tires. I don't really like to do it (it's uncomfortable, unstable, and slow), but sometimes, I've had no choice. If the rocks are small and it's packed well, then that's not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    I find it stressfull. With every 'pop' of a chunk of gravel scooting out of the way, I'm afraid it's my tire.
    Ditto. I don't even like riding over some gravel on the road but you can't dodge rain drops so I just ride over them anyway... I have visions of blown tires and me toppling to the ground

The other day I thought my front tire had gone flat on my commuter but it was just my jacket rubbing in a weird way I was so relieved.
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    Yeah, me too. It does appeal to the mtb'er in me though.

Skinimini, sounds like your ride was a success. Is it your new fav route?
    Last edited by sundial; 03-19-2009 at 07:39 AM.

Oh the joys of Spring!

I guess I'm going to be boring, but I do think it is my new, most favorite route. Did it again today, but added an extra loop on the end, so it put me to 30 miles. Interesting ride though!

Witnessed a huge argument with a young couple, so much so a couple of male joggers stopped to intervene

pot-smoking house painters, hissing geese, one minor fall (I can't get used to these road shoes). The school bus finally convinced me I needed to head home--clicking in and out every 200 yards or so was not fun for my inexperienced, uncoordinated body.

I'm tired, my legs hurt, my back hurts, my hands hurt. . . I am such a winer.

Sooo, I'm doing it again tomorrow!

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    LOL! That make you a 'cross gal.

I'll give it a try!

Thanks, everyone for your advice. I'll certainly give it a try--I think I'll know after a few feet whether it will work or not. My tires are 700 x 23.

It finally stopped raining here in Atlanta, so I intend to make the best of early spring weather. It felt so good to get out yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by skinimini View Post
    Thanks, everyone for your advice. I'll certainly give it a try--I think I'll know after a few feet whether it will work or not. My tires are 700 x 23.

It finally stopped raining here in Atlanta, so I intend to make the best of early spring weather. It felt so good to get out yesterday!
    Give it more than a few feet. give it a couple blocks. the fact is, you can probably do it, the crux is; do you like doing it?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    Give it more than a few feet. give it a couple blocks. the fact is, you can probably do it, the crux is; do you like doing it?
    +1

If you find you do like it (or at least don't mind) and you plan to make a habit of it, it wouldn't hurt to shield the entire bottom half of your frame with some of that nice static-cling plastic like people put on their chain-side chainstays or under motorcycle luggage.

Gravel will put all kinds of chips in your clearcoat, which is not a problem if you ride it as rarely as I do, but over time could get pretty ugly (and possibly even damage a carbon frame).
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by skinimini View Post

Oh! Is it the trail over to Columns Drive? I know lots of folks who do that on road bikes. Won't be a problem at all!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.