Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
    Oh! Is it the trail over to Columns Drive? I know lots of folks who do that on road bikes. Won't be a problem at all!
    I've got a really nice route that I did back in the fall around the Riverside/Heard's Ferry/Northside Drive area. It's got everything-big hills, little hills, no hills and I don't have to get in the car to go. The Interstate North Parkway entrance to the Chattahoochee River NRA is only a couple of miles from my house. Great, close entrance to Columns Drive (flat 2.6 mi paved road with bike lanes that parallels the river).

Great suggestions everyone--It's a sunshiny day, so I think I'll stop talking and head out. I'll let you know how it goes.

There's a ride up there that I do too - it's marked with an arrow and six dots - looks like a guitar head. It loops around N. Side, Riverside, Heard's Ferry - it's a great route, but a few of the marks have been paved over - great new pavement, but no marks on the turns. It's about 30 miles - good stuff, but not much flat.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

I guess I'm the only one that wouldn't recommend it. I have had to ride on gravel, hard packed dirt, with lots of ruts and stones quite a few times, especially in the Berkshires, on my 23cc tires. I really hate it. You have to go really slow and I am constantly worrying that something bad will happen; not a flat, but a crash. Last fall, we did a new route in NH and we didn't realize one of the roads was about 2 miles of dirt. Calling it jarring is not a strong enough word.
    If I wanted to do that kind of riding, I'd take my hybrid or mountain bike...

Just one last tip - make sure your tyres are properly inflated, with the recommended psi in them.
    Riding gravel on under-inflated tyres won't do your rims much good.
    Life is Good!

Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    I find it stressfull. With every 'pop' of a chunk of gravel scooting out of the way, I'm afraid it's my tire.
    Ditto. I don't even like riding over some gravel on the road but you can't dodge rain drops so I just ride over them anyway... I have visions of blown tires and me toppling to the ground

The other day I thought my front tire had gone flat on my commuter but it was just my jacket rubbing in a weird way I was so relieved.
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

No flat tires!

There's a ride up there that I do too - it's marked with an arrow and six dots - looks like a guitar head. It loops around N. Side, Riverside, Heard's Ferry - it's a great route, but a few of the marks have been paved over - great new pavement, but no marks on the turns. It's about 30 miles - good stuff, but not much flat.
    I've never noticed the marks, but then I wasn't really looking for them. I'll look today when I go out. It's probably a very similar route.

So, I had a very nice ride yesterday, about 25 miles including the couple of miles on the gravel trail. If this trail weren't such a convenient access to a good, safe, bike-friendly route, I would avoid it with the road bike. Not bad, I avoided loose gravel, and potholes, a little rough, but getting to the other side was worth it. After all the hills around my house, the flat terrain is a welcome relief--but then I have to get home! Two long, big hills. Really slow going for me but I made it up both with the compact drivetrain. Good for me right?

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by tofu View Post
    I find it stressfull. With every 'pop' of a chunk of gravel scooting out of the way, I'm afraid it's my tire.
    Yeah, me too. It does appeal to the mtb'er in me though.

Skinimini, sounds like your ride was a success. Is it your new fav route?
    Last edited by sundial; 03-19-2009 at 07:39 AM.

Oh the joys of Spring!

I guess I'm going to be boring, but I do think it is my new, most favorite route. Did it again today, but added an extra loop on the end, so it put me to 30 miles. Interesting ride though!

Witnessed a huge argument with a young couple, so much so a couple of male joggers stopped to intervene

pot-smoking house painters, hissing geese, one minor fall (I can't get used to these road shoes). The school bus finally convinced me I needed to head home--clicking in and out every 200 yards or so was not fun for my inexperienced, uncoordinated body.

I'm tired, my legs hurt, my back hurts, my hands hurt. . . I am such a winer.

Sooo, I'm doing it again tomorrow!

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    LOL! That make you a 'cross gal.

You'll have to post or send me a link - sounds like a fun loop!
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

Pedal, I'll map the route and post it.

You'll have to post or send me a link - sounds like a fun loop!
    Here's the link to mapmyride. First time mapping, so it's not perfect (the program added a little on the end through a neighborhood).

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/ga...23757960793023

Quote Originally Posted by skinimini View Post
    Here's the link to mapmyride. First time mapping, so it's not perfect (the program added a little on the end through a neighborhood).

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/ga...23757960793023
    Forget this link. When I went back to check, all sorts of additional points had been added. Way too confusing. When I get this figured out, I'll repost.

We ride the Katy Trail in Missouri on street bikes all the time (700x23). It's small pea gravel. Give it a shot. It will slow you down a bit, and is stressful at first--but just relax. Occasionally some deep gravel can be "loose" but just pedal through. The scenery makes it worth it.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

I rode part of the Katy Trail in MO 2 summers ago on my road bike, pulling my dog in the baby trailer! I might have gone faster if it weren't 102 degrees that August!

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard