Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by bouncybouncy View Post
    Oh Mr Silver...I wish it were that easy! These folks are not teachable...not making excuses!!!
    I get the picture...sounds like you have it under control, but all I'd suggest is taking the approach of saying "let me show you have to do this so next time you won't feel an urgent need to get us out of bed at an early hour..."
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Can't you just say that he's sleeping and you'll have him call when he wakes up? I never wake up anyone in our house unless it's an emergency.

Oh, and whatever happened to "You don't call before 9am or after 9pm"? You just don't make calls to people's homes other than these times unless they are expecting it, or it's a REAL emergency. It seems inconsiderate.
    Last edited by uforgot; 03-15-2009 at 11:05 PM.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Communication! I would tactfully but firmly communicate to them that you are willing to help them with IT but at the same time you are not the 24 hr help desk. Come up with ground rules for "out of business hours" communication.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    Can't you just say that he's sleeping and you'll have him call when he wakes up? I never wake up anyone in our house unless it's an emergency.
    That reminds me of a story. Mr. Sundial the pharmacist has a couple of patients that abuse the emergency after hours phone number. At midnight he received several call from a customer who NEEDED Tylenol and could he deliver it?

I did...the annoying part was I was asleep too!!!
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

Oh, and whatever happened to "You don't call before 9am or after 9pm"? You just don't make calls to people's homes other than these times unless they are expecting it, or it's a REAL emergency. It seems inconsiderate.
    Some people have no boundaries. I used to work at a restauarant, and it got to the point where I never, ever picked up the phone on my day off. "other plans" was not considered acceptable if they actually got you on the line. The solution was, don't pick up the phone. This was before voice mail, called ID and all that.

Nowadays, there's no reason on the planet to answer a call you don't want to take. We don't keep a phone in the bedroom for starters, and I never ever pick it up in the middle of the night. Nowadays with kids in college I get up and check the ID if it rings in the middle of the night, but I don't answer it.

There's voice mail, caller ID, turning the thing off, etc - lots of options besides answering.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Some people have no boundaries. I used to work at a restauarant, and it got to the point where I never, ever picked up the phone on my day off. "other plans" was not considered acceptable if they actually got you on the line. The solution was, don't pick up the phone. This was before voice mail, called ID and all that.

Nowadays, there's no reason on the planet to answer a call you don't want to take. We don't keep a phone in the bedroom for starters, and I never ever pick it up in the middle of the night. Nowadays with kids in college I get up and check the ID if it rings in the middle of the night, but I don't answer it.

There's voice mail, caller ID, turning the thing off, etc - lots of options besides answering.
    Me too! If I don't recognize the number, I figure they can leave a voicemail. I've never been one to talk a lot on the phone. I did, however, receive a 1am call on Saturday from a weird number, and some instinct made me answer and it was my son on a borrowed cell phone who was passing through the Suez Canal on his way to the middle east!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I agree with most you need to set GROUND RULES! No matter what! Caling that early on a weekend is just down right rude!
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    there's no reason on the planet to answer a call you don't want to take.
    I think we all agree here...I do "screen" my calls all the time! Just cause I have a cell phone does NOT mean I am at your beckon call 24/7...most people know this right? I would say common knowledge/etiquette

I just needed a place to vent, it was very early in the morning and could not CALL anyone, I was very tired cause I took the opportunity that I had while hubby was working and stayed up way past my bedtime playing with pictures...

Yes, I choose to keep my phone in my room, we do not have a land line, and I have family that may need to contact me in an emergency!

I merely wanted advice how to approach a boss about boundaries. Less than 2 weeks ago a tree fell on their house...emergency, yeah! But this last Sunday he called a total of 6 times in 5 minutes...for what HE thought was an emergency (computer virus...which it was not) I just wanted some outside views of how to approach a superior with inferior etiquette how to determine a real emergency and how to go about contacting me. Also...alot of times we appreciate a call from them about computer questions...most of the time it is a one line answer and saves IT hubby from hours of "fix-it" work. Another issue: teach boss to leave a detailed voicemail so we can determine if a call back is neccessary!!!

Thanks again for all your input...
    Last edited by bouncybouncy; 03-16-2009 at 07:15 AM.
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

I guess I'm just thinking it's way easier to change what you do, than to try and change what THEY do....