Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question on Bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm looking for a commute bike that I'm hoping will double as an overnight touring bike occasionally. We have some great destinations that are around 40-60 miles away and would make romantic weekend getaways for DH and myself. But as DH is not really a cyclist, I'll be carrying everything. I was considering the Surly Cross Check - I've been coveting one for a long time - but one of my VP's tours and he said I should get the Long Haul instead. Should I or can I use the Cross Check to do what I want?
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Cycle! It's Good for the Wattle; it's good for the can!

I've seen people tour on a Cross-Check. I think it's a very versatile option. Go for the Long Haul Trucker if you see yourself carrying 40+ lb of gear on the bike because that's when the long wheelbase will make a difference. If you'll use a trailer for the gear, a long wheelbase is not needed.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

My husband and I recently bought Specialized Tri-Cross bikes for touring and are extremely happy with them. They have all the eyelets for racks and panniers, are relatively lightweight (about 24#) and are very comfortable to ride. They do have dropped handlebars, which I like, and are incredibly comfortable to ride. It would definitely be usable for touring, commuting, and errands!

Thanks Deb! I ordered my Surly today. I'll get it in 4-5 days. I'm excited.
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Cycle! It's Good for the Wattle; it's good for the can!