Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Best Spin DVDs for Beginner?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello all,

The winter weather approaches here in the Southern Hemisphere. I just got an indoor trainer for my bike and was using it yesterday as the rain fell and 35 knot winds gusted.

What spinning DVD would you suggest to a newbie to improve skills, fitness and strength over the winter without actually killing me. People seem to mention the Spinervals series often, but from the comments, I think they might be too intense for me to start out with.

The Kiwi dollar is in the toilet at the moment, so any sugestions on the cheap would be especially appreciated. Spinervals go for about NZ$70 each, ouch!
    M
    Trying to round my pedal stroke and unround me

http://intrepid101.com

pm

PM sent & you'll be a Coach Troy follower very soon!

The Spinervals tape that I use most often is Team Clydesdale. I think it's the easiest one. It's a good workout and it doesn't kill me.

I need to get Team Clydesdale.

I use Recharge as a regular workout (it's supposed to be recovery). I also really like Zoot Challenge and Uphill Grind. The thing with any Spinervals is to do what you can do. Back off or gear down where you need to. Don't tell Coach Troy, but sometimes I pause for a bit more recovery (or more water).

They're awesome workouts!

CA

ETA: Would love to know where's good to purchase them - I've been buying from Performance (for lack of a better option), but would love to have another source.
    Last edited by Blueberry; 03-11-2009 at 05:10 PM.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Yes, I modify them as needed. I don't think I'm ever in the gear that Troy wants me to be in.

The variable control on my secondhand trainer isn't currently working. I can only get up to 75 rpm or so on my lowest gear and that is working hard! So I can imagine I'd be modifying his instructions significantly.
    M

Another vote for Spinervals. Ride Strong, Recharge and Aerobic Base Builder 6 are probably the easiest. In Aerobic Base Builder 6 he lets you pick the gear to maintain a certain cadence rather than give you the gear.

Can you tell I own too many Spinervals?

Echo several of the Spinerval recommendations. For a beginner, I would stick with the "Fitness Series" DVD (Clydesdales, Sweating Buckets). Recovery&Technique is one of my favorites, too.

Try a Spinervals

The Spinervals DVD's typically cost $29.95 - you can try preview all the workouts online at www.mypypeline.com/coachtroy. The website has a coupon for one free workout. You can rent videos for as low as $1.75 and own them for $7.49. I'd suggest starting with Iron Girl 1.0 - Spinervals with IronGirl which has three, 30 minute indoor cycling workouts (easy, medium, and hard). There's a coach's note video that accompanies this (free).

Coach Troy gave an all day class followed by a spin session for my local triathlon club and he is the best.

In Australia/New Zealand the website is www.spinervals.au

There is a spinerval for Team Iron Girl--or something like that. Three short workouts that are fairly easy. We quickly moved past these, since we were taking a spinning class.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

Thanks everyone. Spinervals it is.
    M

Sweating buckets is a good, not-too-hard Spinerval video.

Auckland...Honolulu... now San Diego.... where next ?!?
    Keep an eye on TRade me

Where abouts are you ?
    People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things - Sir Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by MillieNZ View Post
    Keep an eye on TRade me

Where abouts are you ?
    Yeah, had a look, but no Spinervals on TradeMe at the moment. I got my SUB Zero 2 and my Tacx magnetic trainer there. I'm in Auckland as well.
    M

Ok - going against the curve here. I have several Spinervals AND CTS training dvds and I reach for the CTS over and over.

Spinervals is a little too focused on gearing for my taste whereas CTS is focused on effort, technique and cadence cadence cadence.

I love worrying more about perceived effort and my form than I do what gear I'm in. Plus - controlling my cadence translates (for me at least) to better riding out on the road.

CTS has some new workout dvds with 3 workouts to a single dvd and I love them.

Trust me - you'll need the towel under the bike.

my .02

T.