Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Stowe, VT

Stowe, VT

To disable ads, please log-in.

We left Friday for 4 days of x country skiing and snow shoeing. Well, it didn't exactly pan out as planned. The predicted temperature was in the high 40s for Friday and Saturday; we got there Friday at around 1:30 and went out for a short (2.5 mile) snow shoe on the Catamount Trail, behind the Inn at Edson Hill, where we stayed. They have their own ski trails there, but, the snow was mush and not groomed. The snow shoeing was pretty hard for a short one.
    Saturday we got up and after our breakfast, drove to Von Trapp Ski Touring. The snow looked pretty bad, although there were tons of people skiing. We wanted to go to the top of one trail, where there is a cabin that sells food; the guy asked my husband if he had "a strong snow plow?" which freaked him out... the idea of a long down hill with ice and deteriorating conditions didn't seem fun. Our friends didn't care, so we strapped on the shoes and started up.
    Well, let's just say this was the hardest winter activity I have done. Although the trail was not technical, like the one at Northfield Mt., it was steep. 3.5 miles, with 900 ft. ascent. It took us almost 2 hours! Thankfully, the food was great and going down, we cheated and took the ski trail for the last mile (carefully, staying on the side). It was so warm, I zipped the sleeves off of my jacket, no hat, and minimal glove liners on. A total of 5.9 miles.
    Unfortunately, the blister on the back of my heel reappeared and one developed on the other heel. Thankfully, the one on the front of the foot I had from running, wasn't affected. Both of our friends had terrible blisters, too. I am not sure why this happened, my shoes are 6 years old. On the way home, we got all kinds of blister supplies, but the next day no one wanted to do anything. So, we acted like tourists and ate all day. I scored an Ibex vest for half off, a nice shirt, and a Terry cargo cycling skort and Eurohalter for half off, also. That made up for not skiing.
    It was snowing this morning, but not enough to make up for the rutted, icy snow under the dusting, so we didn't ski. We are already making plans for next winter...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Sounded like a steep mountain slope there! But great you all had a good workout on the snowshoes.

I've been to Stowe VT twice, in early fall. I love the area. We biked in the area and around abit for 5 days..it was part of my lst loaded bike tour in my life..many years ago.

I used to X-C ski at the von Trapp area. I wonder if they still have the Viennese Coffee House at the bottom of the hill? They served an amazing Sacher Torte there.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Yes, the Tea House is still there, but it didn't look very busy. There are so many good restaurants in Stowe, with a wide range of cuisine. On the way home we stopped at Lake Champlain Chocolates and Cabot Cheese; I had some super strong hot chocolate, which did my stomach in, after a weekend of eating and wine. We bought some dark chocolate non-pareils, some dark chocolate sauce, and some "seconds" of dark chocolate pieces.

Life is hard sometimes.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl