Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Gatorade - how long in the fridge?

To disable ads, please log-in.

How long is an open bottle of Gatorade good, if you've had it in the refrigerator?

I have a 64-oz bottle, about 2/3 full, that I opened it last fall. It's been in the fridge this whole time. It looks and smells okay. Does this stuff go bad?

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    No offense, but some people would question whether it ever was 'good'.

But seriously....liquid after six months opened in the fridge?- throw it out! Not worth getting sick over.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh, I don't know.
    is there anything swimming in it?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I just threw out an opened but barely used bottle of powerade that was left over from last summer! It smelled fine and looked fine...but I really don't see myself needing that type of hydration again until summer and by then, it'll probably be dangerous!

Actually, it struck me as odd that after 9 months in the fridge with no movement, there was no sediment on the bottom. What kind of drink (other than water) does that?
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Throw it away!!

It might look okay, it might smell okay and it might taste okay. but the potential doctors bill and not to mention great discomfort should you get ill is going to be so much more expensive than a bottle of the drink. The old adage penny wise pound foolish definitly applies.

Just think about the potential cost of the medical bill when you throw it away. That'll make it easier to pour it down the drain.

Smilingcat

http://wardmulroy.com/gatorade/DOCS/...t(9).html#ans6

How long can Gatorade be kept in the refrigerator after it has been opened?

Under normal conditions, Gatorade will stay freshest about one week in a refrigerator after it has been opened.

http://www.gatorade.com/frequently_asked_questions/

Why should I refrigerate Gatorade?

Gatorade tastes best when refrigerated. Additionally, refrigeration is recommended to avoid spoilage. Under normal conditions, Gatorade will stay fresh about 3-5 days in a refrigerator if tightly capped and refrigerated within 24 hours of opening.
    Last edited by michelem; 03-08-2009 at 12:22 AM.

And yet again, here I am to provide contradictory evidence and viewpoint (apparently what I was put on earth for )

I buy the big 64oz bottles of Gatorade and use them to fill my water bottle. Since I don't ride every day, it sometimes takes a few weeks to use one bottle. And, last year, I began the summer with an unopened 64oz'er that was past its pull date. Couldn't stand to throw away that much, so I opened it and used it and am here to tell the tale.

My motto regarding food or drink in the fridge is-- if it doesn't smell funny, it's still ok. But, of course, I don't necessarily advise that anyone follow any of my mottos.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Throw it away. I've had gatorade grow things in the fridge - large blobs of bacteria floating in them. Ick!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    I buy the big 64oz bottles of Gatorade and use them to fill my water bottle. Since I don't ride every day, it sometimes takes a few weeks to use one bottle.
    Yes, last year I used the 64 oz bottles and it would usually take me several weeks to finish them off, and they were fine.

I was expecting the one in the fridge now to have something growing in it*, so I was surprised when it seemed fine.

As for whether gatorade is ever "good," it's what they serve at centuries and other organized rides, so it's what I use. It's just a fast way to get sugar in me during long rides.

* I know, if you're expecting something to be growing in it, then why is it there to begin with? Because I live alone and I don't cook, so there is lots of extra room in my refrigerator. So half-empty bottles of things that don't develop a bad smell tend to sit forgotten in the back.

I didn't notice mine until I went to pour it - just be careful!
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Oh, I don't know.
    is there anything swimming in it?
    Swimming is ok, but when they start to evolve legs you should worry.

Seriously, I'll usually eat or drink anything that looks fine and smells fine, and I have never ever had food poisoning proper. I think the body's natural defences are pretty good at finding bad food, as long as you take the time to check. Have a tiny taste first.

I'll throw away food that smells the slightest bit iffy, even if it "shouldn't" be bad according to the date. If it makes me question my appetite, I shouldn't be eating it.
    Last edited by lph; 03-08-2009 at 08:25 AM.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett