Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My sister won a Ruby!

To disable ads, please log-in.

My sister entered a contest and had to write an essay saying why she deserved to win a Ruby Comp ... and she WON IT! Here's the email they sent out to Iron Girl subscribers.

Congratulations to the Winner of the Specialized Designs for Women (D4W) Ruby Comp Bicycle!

And the winner is...

"I'm Tink Cleland. Eight years ago I was in a roll-over accident. I suffered a broken skull, neck and brain damage. I should have died or become a quadriplegic. After learning how to walk again, I decided to become as healthy as possible. I lost 170 pounds, started running and I ran several races including marathons. That turned to triathlons. The 2008 Aflac Iron Girl Lake Las Vegas Triathlon was the most challenging and therefore the most rewarding.

I bought a Specialized Roubaix one week prior to Aflac Iron Girl Lake Las Vegas Triathlon. I'd done several trial hill rides on my old bike, but never on "Wiki," meaning a fast bike. I couldn't believe the difference! I flew! (For me). I could tell I was going to have a great season. I used Wiki for everything and gave away our second car. I gave my old bike to another athlete. Then, my beautiful Wiki was stolen from my locked garage. There were other expensive items that weren't touched, only Wiki. Someone knew her worth. I'd saved for a year to get Wiki! Now I feel immobilized. It's saddened me to the point of not even wanting to run! Now that we're moving I'll feel safe getting a new bike, but see no way of affording a bike for at least another year which means no tri's for 2009. Normally I tell the story of my accident to inspire others to reach beyond their dreams. This time I'm telling it so I can continue to reach beyond my dreams!"

Congratulations to you, Tink! It is time to reach beyond your dreams while riding your new Specialized Ruby Comp Bicycle.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    That is SOOOO cool. I got that e-mail the other day and thought that she really deserved it. Who knew it was someone I sorta knew (but not really). Small world. I hope she loves her bike tremendously. Of course, we'd love to see pictures of her riding her new Ruby once she gets it.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Oh my gosh, she is SOOOOO excited. She was seriously depressed about losing her other bike, to the point of crying if I mentioned a bike ride I did or was about to do. (So I learned not to mention )

I happened to be with her when she was listening to the voice mail telling her she won. She started freaking out, jumping up and down, spinning around, screaming. This went on for some time as she continued to listen to the message. I looked at my mom and said, "Did she just win the lottery?" And it's almost like she DID!

I find it quite hilarious that you actually got the email and already read about this. Small world.

She's been through a heck of a lot that's not even mentioned in her essay, so I'm truly happy for her. It's about time she gets blessed with something great.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

Jiffer, what a wonderful thing that is. She sounds pretty amazing.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Your sister is lucky..in many different ways. May she ride well on the bike!

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Congratulations to your sister! She most certainly deserves a Ruby! I believe because she was so generous she was given much in return.

Congratulations to your sister!!!

~ JoAnn
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

I just wanted to say congratulations. What a story. I hope she is able to do well in her upcoming races.

Red Rock

Wow, congratulations to your sister! That is a great story and I'm glad she won.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

You gotta love it! What could have been an awful year for her is going to be great!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "I never made "Who's Who"- but sure as hell I made "What's That??..."

Man, that is just AWESOME! Best of luck to your sis on the new ride. I'm had some crazy things happen with my health and I tell ya, it really can change your spin on the world and taking your body "for granted". Bike thieves just sux... we had a theft attempt this sumer. ONLY my expensive bike was zero-ed in on. All I can say is... what comes around, goes around. Hope your sis has many safe and happy miles on her fine new bike.

This one almost made me cry. What a sweet story. Nice to see good things happen to good people. I'm happy for you sister.

Wow, that is some story! Congratulations to your sister! It sounds very well deserved.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Congradulations! Is she keeping Ruby in the house, or getting a really good lock? Multiple locks?

Many happy fast miles to her and her new bike!
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by bmccasland View Post
    Congradulations! Is she keeping Ruby in the house, or getting a really good lock? Multiple locks?

Many happy fast miles to her and her new bike!
    Well, they just moved from an apartment to a house. The bike was in a garage at the apartment and it will be in the garage at their house, but they ARE intending to lock the bikes in the garage from now on.

She figured out that it was someone who lives in their old apartment complex. She found pictures of bikes and bike parts on Ebay and it was obvious they were taken in her complex, so it was someone who knew what they were taking and had a plan of what to do with it. It's the only thing they took from the garage. She gave the info to the police, but who knows what will become of it?

Funny how our house was robbed last May and the bikes were one of the few expensive things that were NOT taken. We had at least $16,000 in bikes sitting our garage (brand new retail price). They took electronics (computer, tv, etc) jewelry, my car and a bunch of other misc. stuff, but the bikes, the Taylor guitars and my dh's nice keyboard they left. The police said it was probably because those things are higher end and have serial numbers, which make them more easily traced. My sister's bike, however, was stolen by a "bike person" looking for bikes to steal. He probably sold it in parts.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!