Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

To disable ads, please log-in.

My, my but this has been a fun thread to read! All sorts of opinions are running through my mind.

IvonaDestroi - I could relate to your initial post, angry, tired, stressed to the max. . . not a situation for clear thinking. I too was an art major and final show, portfolio development time etc is not the best time of life. Do you also have to be part of a senior fashion show?

The original post must have been censored because I didn't see the objectional language

Revenge - I tend to agree w/ most on here - it just isn't worth it and comes around to bite you in the *utt.
    However just thinking of creative ways to do it sometimes has a lot of satisfaction w/o ever implementing them.

BTW read "A Poison Tree" by William Blake - one of my favorite poems when I am in revenge mode.

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/a-poison-tree/

Re the fashions - I must say they are interestingly retro. I see them as a combination of punk/grunge/anime/manga.
    I found it interesting that you said "stay in your comfort zone"

I am bringing this up because I am a high school art teacher and am always interested in what is going on in the post-secondary institutions around the country. My students are always asking me what schools I would recommend for them depending on their area of concentration.

So with that being said and taking into consideration that your education has been on pattern development, etc (I TRY to tell my students that it isn't just all fun and games creating interesting designs on paper - but alas they don't believe me.)

I digressed - The question I have is - although your designs are a variation of that specific genre, targeted at a very select audience, does your school push you to develop new, never before been seen lines for a wide range of clientele in diverse situations? (think commuter cyclists - to business casual -to retired women going to "the club". )

What will your portfolio be judged on?

If you don't want to answer publicly that is fine just PM me. I would like to specifically know what school you are going to and your feelings about the education you have received there. Most of my serious students end up going out of state (usually NY or CA) for their education and the more information I have the better I can help them.

Thanks and good luck as you get through these next trying months!

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

I can't help wondering what might have happened if you'd left a note that said something more along the lines of "Congratulations on the very effective u-lock, but you've taken my bike hostage here. Accidents happen. I'm waiting at the coffee shop across the street if you'd like to make it up to me."

You might have gotten a heart-felt apology instead of vandalism to your bike.

Roxy

Please take the mature and civil approach. If you vandalize his bike, he might do something to an innocent's bike, thinking it's yours. What if whatever you do causes an accident? (edit: or causes him to escalate it - on someone ele's bike???) What if he's not the one hurt, but another person is hurt because of YOUR actions? What if he takes it out on MY bike?!?!?!!!

Do you really think your cable was in his lock intentionally? Really. People can get hurt, even if you can't see that far ahead.
    Last edited by Pedal Wench; 03-15-2009 at 10:36 AM.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

mmm...k

I tend to agree with most of the folks, ya know... the anger passes, maybe just by ranting about it, you can let it go now... but if that anger comes back every time you see that bike locked up... maybe you do have to do something.

A few years ago I had a roommate from hell. She was the roommate that ended all other roommates, I'm now happy to pay 200.00 more for a cracker box that is all mine. So we had finally had the huge blow up... so I moved, on my way out the door, I dropped a frozen but quite raw fish behind the stove... I grin with delight every time I think about what happened as that fish slowly unthawed and began to decompose behind that stove... how long did it take her to figure out where that smell was coming from... how much of a pain in the arse it must have been to move that stove and who she had to get to help her move it... It makes me sooooooooo happy!!

So if you just have to do something -- get yourself a can of sardines and give some inconspicuous parts of his bike a nice rub down with the essential oils of the sea.

At the very least, he'll have to give the ol bike a nice wash down -- OR he'll suffer through it until it slowly wears off, but not before developing a complex. Most likely he'll never figure out it was an act of revenge, just this weird thing that happened.

Bike rage is getting to be a common thing. One thing I talk about when teaching the Traffic Skills or Commuter classes is road rage, and how to deal with it when it happens to you or to a riding buddy. I stress keeping your cool, and not letting someone else's irrational anger ruin your ride, or your day. Life's way too short for that sort of foolishness.

A little parable that a fellow LCI share with me a few weeks back has stuck with me, and is probably a good thing to pass on...

The Law of the Garbage Truck
    One day, I hopped into a taxi and took off for the airport. We were driving in the right lane when, suddenly, a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. *My taxi driver slammed the brakes, skidded, and missed the other car by just inches! *The driver of the other car whipped his head around and started yelling at us. *My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. *I mean, he was really friendly. So I asked, "Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!" *This is when my taxi driver taught me what I now call, 'The Law of the Garbage Truck.'
    He explained, "Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it and sometimes they'll dump it on you. *NEVER take it personally. *Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on with the routine life." *Don't take their garbage and spread it to other people at work, at home or on the streets.

And when you wave at folks, use all five fingers, and not just the middle one...

Tom

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by PscyclePath View Post
    He explained, "Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it and sometimes they'll dump it on you. *NEVER take it personally. *Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on with the routine life." *Don't take their garbage and spread it to other people at work, at home or on the streets.
    Good one.

Life is really too short.

I understand you were angry - I would be, too. But I make it at point not to get involved with folks that are vindictive--because it can turn in to a big problem--like "road rage" and I don't want it or need it. Sometimes it's better just to leave it and not act on your feelings.