Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Favorite 50-100 mile loops in the Bay Area

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all - I have been quiet most of the winter, but I am ready to come out of hiding and start riding again (well, I have been riding, but not as much). I'm just curious if anyone has any favorite loops in the Bay Area. Just looking for ride ideas.
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Cycle! It's Good for the Wattle; it's good for the can!

The possibilities for loops like this in Marin/Sonoma are endless. Do you have a Krebs map? You can ride from the city or go start off Lucas Valley Rd. You can include some or all of Mt. Tam, Marshall, Wilson Hill, Chileno Valley Rd., Coleman Valley Rd., Bohemian Hwy.

Honestly there are just too many options and I don't have them all mapped out as individual rides. I usually just do a smorgasbord and decide how I feel. From Mill Valley to Pt Reyes Station and then down Hwy 1, coming back either BoFax or Pantoll is a favorites of ours. That's in the 60 mile range. BoFax adds quite a bit of climbing because you get to do the *ahem* "sisters" on Ridgecrest.

Or From MV up to Nicasio, Cheese factory, Marshall and then down Hwy 1 and either all the way down 1 and over Pantoll of over Olema hill. That's more in the 80 range.

Or go to Nicasio and ride up over Wilson, Chileno Valley, through Freestone, over Coleman Valley Rd then back down over Marshall. That's about 90. Lots of climbing - GREAT loop. 2 bakeries - if you drop into Pt Reyes Station it can be a THREE bakery ride.

Sounds like we should ride.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

I think we SHOULD ride!! I will be joining up on one of the Buddy Rides for the Team in Training. I've been dying to ride with you, Jo and Melissa. I'm just not sure which one yet. :P I'd love to do the one this weekend, but I've been a bad girl and haven't been riding. Need to get my butt in gear...
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Excellent! I'll be great to finally meet you.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

An out and back on Calaveras Road from Sunol is nice, only about 30 miles with a reasonably mild climb. Plus there's Bosco's and the Sunol Cafe at the end of the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    An out and back on Calaveras Road from Sunol is nice, only about 30 miles with a reasonably mild climb. Plus there's Bosco's and the Sunol Cafe at the end of the ride.
    Yep, one of our favorite rides, for all the reasons that Jo mentioned, plus ... the scenery's gorgeous and there's hardly any traffic.

I have some other ideas for loops on andtckrtoo's side of the Bay, but I'll have to post them some other time as duty calls.
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

I'd like to know when those buddy rides are.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Technically, the "TNT buddy rides" are only open to folks registered for a ride with TNT (liability issues). However, our event (Death Ride) is open for registration w/TNT through March 14, so all rides until then are open to others. After that, we'll have to just set up a ride on our own (not that that's a problem!)

Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Well I miss riding with my buds so we NEED to organize something on one of your free weekends.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

And I need all the help I can to get my mileage and hill climbing up to ride the LiveStrong 100 miler.
    Christine

I could do a Marin ride 3/15 (Sunday). The next date I could realistically participate wouldn't be til 5/23. Have to juggle kid and team, etc.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

I've always liked that Ink Grade loop of SadieKate's, which I guess you DR folks did some version of a few weeks ago.

Team Whiner is taking applications for membership, all that's required is enthusiastic whining on a frequent basis. We of course only ride when the weather is good.

Quote Originally Posted by aka_kim View Post
    I've always liked that Ink Grade loop of SadieKate's, which I guess you DR folks did some version of a few weeks ago.
    Yes, we had started out from St. Helena. It was about 40 miles and 2800 ft of climbing. It was very nice out there, apart from all the rain. I could do without the rain...

Here's a map of the route we took:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:%...5&ie=UTF8&z=11

And for more fun we could go up nearby Spring Mountain Road (not!!! ).

What about a Marshall Wall/Bovine Bakery loop from Fairfax or something?
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Anything that goes over to the coast and back are my favorites. Like up Page Mill, down West Alpine, left on Pescadero, the right on Stage Road, left on Highway 1 and up Tunitas Creek, and then down Kings Mountain. Or any the other variations using Old La Honda, or Kings Mountain to get up to Skyline and then use Highway 84 to go down.

Going to San Francisco and back is kinda cool, but not very scenic. Going the opposite way to Santa Cruz along highway 1 is pretty nice. However during these months I generally stay on the east side of the mountains.