Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keen bike sandals or shoes, yah or nay?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I still have toe clips on my bike but I am thinking of getting "real" road petals. I know that I won't like any shoe that is super stiff and I have wide feet. Not super wide though.

The Keen looks kind of like my Crocs, I am addicted to Crocs.

Does anyone have the Keen bike sandals or shoes and could you wear them in a mini-tri? I am doing a mini-tri that has a 3 mile run and I was wondering if I'd have to change shoes. I doubt I'll ever do another tri, I have arthritis in my left ankle so the running part gives me trouble.

Thank you!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I LOVE the Keen cycling sandals for biking. I do tris, and would never consider running in them even for the shortest distance. They are quite heavy, and do not have much give in them at all- and as such would make a terrible shoe to run in. Plus, you can't run in them because of the cleats (even tho the cleats are recessed and are OK to walk in, you sure wouldn't want to run in them). If you want a great sandal for cycling in the summer months, go with the Keens. They are super comfy and great for summer riding.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I'd try the men's if you feet are *at all* wide. I have wide toes, and had to return the women's. I'll probably try the men's this year from REI with by 20% coupon. The women's are quite a bit narrower in the toe than regular keens, and much more so than crocs. And I agree - I don't think I'd want to run in them...
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    I don't know if Keen has improved the foot bed but I had a pair of sandals that was unusually stinky. When I called the company they said they had several complaints about the smelly situation. I used to soak the foot bed in Nature's Miracle to get the smell out. I swore to never buy another pair of Keens.

I'm hoping Merrell will come out with a commuter sandal.

I vote yah. My favorite summer cycling shoes.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    I don't know if Keen has improved the foot bed but I had a pair of sandals that was unusually stinky. When I called the company they said they had several complaints about the smelly situation. I used to soak the foot bed in Nature's Miracle to get the smell out. I swore to never buy another pair of Keens.

I'm hoping Merrell will come out with a commuter sandal.
    Not bike sandals, but my keen zerraports get kinda smelly if I wear 'em every day for a week or two. My other keen sandals don't. Then I just pop them into the washing machine and they're fine afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    I'd try the men's if you feet are *at all* wide. I have wide toes, and had to return the women's. I'll probably try the men's this year from REI with by 20% coupon. The women's are quite a bit narrower in the toe than regular keens, and much more so than crocs. And I agree - I don't think I'd want to run in them...
    I SOOO want to do this, but they don't make the men's sandal in a size small enough for my wide feet. Actually, they didn't in 2008...I haven't checked 2009 yet. Oooh, fingers crossed!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    I SOOO want to do this, but they don't make the men's sandal in a size small enough for my wide feet. Actually, they didn't in 2008...I haven't checked 2009 yet. Oooh, fingers crossed!
    My feet have apparently grown 1/2 size (I discovered with black toes last summer). So...the 7 men's should work for me. I haven't checked either - but I wish you luck
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Love 'em, love 'em...the Keen's, that is! They don't smell. I wear them year round on the bike (wear wool socks in winter). They are definitely narrow in the toes. They are stiff enough and a little bit heavy and I could never run in them! The cleats are recessed but not 100%. Good luck finding the right size. You will not regret this purchase. I also bought mine last year at this time with the 20% coupon. They have a pretty blue color this year for women... they would look really nice with my new touring bike, a Specialized Tri-cross! Nope...I am not buying them!

Nope - smallest they make is a men's 7.

If they would make them in the youth sizing, that would probably work for me. I'd need a 5. In fact, I'm thinking of trying out a few of the youth versions of my favorite shoes since they are significantly cheaper!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I love mine for riding in the summer but wouldn't recommend them if you do a lot of climbing. They are great for touring, commuting and light riding. I rode them through most of Ragbrai last year but found that the sole gives a little if I am sprinting or standing in a climb. I also have the regular sandals and shoes in addition to my bike sandals and love all three.

I own the gray Keen commuter sandle w/spd multi-release cleats and I love them. However, I would not expect them to perform under any type of hard riding/training conditions. I have some weird shape foot fit issues, but my Keens are fine. The toes have breathing moving room in the sandles, vs some of my regular road/mtb shoes that are obviously a solid material.

I love mine for tours, while you can't run in them, you can walk in them.
    I also love mine in the winter! They are perfect for layering any # of socks and waterproof covers. I find them, combined with a sock liner, a wool sock, and sometimes a neoprene water-resistant sock, to be the warmest winter alternative.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

BF and I have the Newport H2 regular sandals and LOVE THEM! We took them to Hawaii in January and pretty much lived in them.
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker