Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

Good for you on getting back to bike-riding! If anyone here has any problems with the bike they are riding, they should check out www.supersizedcycles.com. The bikes are designed to support heavier people, and comfortably, too.

The company's founder, Joan Denizot, started the company because she had a hard time finding bikes that could support people who weigh more than 225 pounds. So, her bikes are made for big riders who can feel comfortable both riding one of her bikes, and purchasing it, too.

Check out her site. She has bikes and gear for sale, and there is information on there too for new, plus-sized bicyclists.

Great discussion, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Next it sounds like we need to find you another LBS, one that can find you a proper bike fit. The answer to "can I put taller handlebars on my bike?" should never be "I don't know"
    Agreed!

My LBS has been awesome in getting my bike set up and adjusted for me to accommodate my mobility problems due to pretty severe psoriatic arthritis. A good LBS will be able to find a solution!

I'd also look at recumbents... For my next bike, I'll definitely be looking at one just to see if it would better accommodate my 'issues'.

On the 'cross bike recommendation.. I love mine (specialized tricross). I threw on skinny tires to keep up with the faster folks on club rides, but I adore having the ability to go off road.
    Last edited by lo123; 06-25-2009 at 10:38 AM.

Nice bump, even if it is pretty blatant "join the forum and self-promote." Wondering how things are going?

Quote Originally Posted by sscycles View Post
    Good for you on getting back to bike-riding! If anyone here has any problems with the bike they are riding, they should check out www.supersizedcycles.com. The bikes are designed to support heavier people, and comfortably, too.

The company's founder, Joan Denizot, started the company because she had a hard time finding bikes that could support people who weigh more than 225 pounds. So, her bikes are made for big riders who can feel comfortable both riding one of her bikes, and purchasing it, too.

Check out her site. She has bikes and gear for sale, and there is information on there too for new, plus-sized bicyclists.

Great discussion, guys!

I don't have a problem with this post, it does provide useful info. that addresses the questions raised in the thread, even if the poster has a commercial interest in the product she is recommending (and from her username she is not trying to hide that).

Quote Originally Posted by calico View Post
    I am 5'10" and very long-waisted, and every bike I try seems to have me leaning painfully far forward/down. I end up with severe wrist pain very quickly. I asked at several bike shops but they don't seem to know what to suggest. I asked if they can put taller handlebars on a bike to accommodate my tall torso, and they didn't seem to know.

I still have the bike I bought in college, a Nishiki, which was supposedly sized to fit my height but it also causes wrist/hand pain. I even tried wrist wraps to give support to no avail.

My eventual goal is to get comfortable riding to do the 4 mile commute to and from the college each day (all paved roads, gentle hills).

Help! Is there any hope for me?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

I am also overweight and tall. I started riding again in 2007. My hybred Schwinn (bought in 1993) served me pretty well. I promised myself a new bike if I proved to myself that I would keep on riding. This year I bought a new bike a Specialized Dolce', the reason I'm bringing this up is because as a woman's bike I find the fit much better my top tube is 54.8 while the vertical tube is 56 (big difference for me). Someone said in an earlier post that your looking for a bike shop when your buying a bike. I couldn't agree more. I have 3 bikeshops within 12 miles of my house but I drive 45 minutes to go to Clairemont, New Hampshire (I live in VT) for the service I get at that shop. Oh and shorts, I found TE in 2007 because I was looking for plus size bike shorts. I use mountain bike shorts (because of the baggy outer shell), but this is a great place to find your size.

Just my 2 cents,

Robin

PS I'm riding my first 50 in 20 years tomorrow ... wish me luck

Good luck Robin! Way to go!
    And welcome to TE!

Quote Originally Posted by robinmarylong View Post
    PS I'm riding my first 50 in 20 years tomorrow ... wish me luck
    Good luck, and many many more.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte