Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stolen goods....

To disable ads, please log-in.

Last night DH had his truck broken into. They took his back pack, which among other things had his wallet (I know...bad, bad, bad to leave in car), his Sidi cycling shoes, prescription meds and IPOD. I know we will never get the ipod, meds or wallet back, but the cycling shoes are really of no use to someone. Most people don't even realize how expensive they are. They will cost about $300 to replace. I went out several times scouring the neighborhood in hopes that someone just chucked them, but no luck so far. I believe whoever did it was just after cash (which they got about $80) because they didn't even try to use any of the credit cards. I have also been periodically checking craigslist in hopes that the person is dumb enough to try and sell them. Anyhow, has anyone recovered stuff that was stolen. Is it any use to go to pawn shops and notify them to be on the look out?

Neither the pawn shops or the scumslime thieves are likely to even know what kind of shoes they are.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Check the emergency room reports. Hopefully they try them out on a hardwood floor and fall over backwards.

Seriously, I'm sorry you were ripped off.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Yah, that would be something if they actually tried the shoes and ended up in the ER. I think the more likely scenario is that they may take the meds and accidentally OD. It really worries me because they are meds that could really be dangerous for a young person who doesn't know what they are taking.

They will just sell everything they can, including the credit cards. Pawn shops would take the shoes, too, even though they might not know exactly what they are. You canceled the credit cards, right?

It really stinks. My husband's truck was broken into in Detroit at night, and they got everything except the bicycles. Laptops, Nintendo DS, my son's favorite cycling jersey. Cops said it was probably all sold before 9 a.m.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Oh no!

I am so sorry to hear someone stole all those things from your vehicle!

There is something about a stranger invading your space and taking your things that feels violating

Was any of it insured?

I'm glad to hear your bikes were spared
    Ana
    2009 Lynskey R230
    Trek Mountain Track 850

sorry to hear. It just amazes me on how people think the can just take what does not belong to them. Like we don't work hard for what we have.

~ JoAnn
    2012 Specialized Amira S-Works
    2012 Vita Elite
    2011 Specialized Dolce Elite (raffle prize) - Riva Road 155
    Ralaigh Tara Mtn Bike

Check Craigslist. There was just a story in our local news about a thief being caught "e-fencing" on that site.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    That's really bad. What a bunch of sorry people. I'll bet they were needing cash to support their meth habit.

We had all credit cards cancelled by 5 am and they didn't even try to use them. That's what makes me think it was kids just looking for cash. I have been checking craigslist daily and will run down to the local pawn shops just to see if they might have the shoes. I even checked some local dumpsters (yuk) to see if they might have tossed the backpack in there. We will wait a week or so before replacing the shoes just to see if they show up.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Will your homeowner's insurance cover this?

We have a higher deductible than the loss, so we won't claim it.

Ugh... I'm so sorry this happened to you! Scum of the earth rip off "artists"... GRRR
    2009 Giant Avail Advanced 1
    2008 Trek FX 7.5 (Commuter)

Baby Blue..retired to new rider: 2006 Giant OCR-C

Seems to be happening more often in our neighborhood. My friend just had her car broken into last weekend at the local Elementary school (about a mile from our house) while playing soccer with her kids. It was the middle of the day and they broke her window while everyone was just a few hundred feet away from the car on the field. The parking lot is on a main road so these guys really had some guts. They had watched her place her purse under the seat and then broke in and stole it and proceeded to charge thousands of dollars on the card and write a bunch of bum checks in a very short period of time.

Good thing is that the local police pulled some guy over a few days later and he was acting suspicious enough to warrant a search of his car which produced one of her stolen cards. The guy was not the one who broke into the car, but started naming names to try and get himself off the hook. Apparently it was part of a crime ring that the police have been tracking. The guy that actually broke in the car is said to be "armed and dangerous". Police said the crime ring produces $30,000 a week!!!

I don't think these are the same guys the broke into DH's car, but it makes me feel better that they caught my friends culprits.

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Ugh. Some people are such slimeballs...sorry this happened to your husband. I had my car broken into at the train station recently so I know how much it stinks. You might try looking on Ebay in addition to the places already mentioned.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830