Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sheets for really fat mattresses

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, ladies, we did a serious bed upgrade here. I've even bought some "deep pocket" sheets ( up to14" they say) and they are a pretty marginal fit. Now what? If we sleep like corpses and don't have sex maybe they'll stay on?

I"m thinking since I am handy (I have 5 sewing machines) I'll just add on to what I have now. Is the only other option seriously expensive sheets?

Doing my best to stimulate the economy...

I.
    Last edited by Irulan; 02-26-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    I"m thinking since I am handy (I have 5 sewing machines) I'll just add on to what I have now. Is the only other option seriously expensive sheets?
    Ok. Do you rotate use of those machines?
    Do what my mamma did, she took fabric sheets and sewed them together. So 1 bed was a patchwork. What the hell..life is short.

I haven't properly thought about your question..and I am an ex-sewer. (yea, French seams, cuffs, etc. Fabric made buttonholes for coats, that tailored stuff.) My tabletop Kenmore with serging stitch features, etc. has been gathering dust since I took up cycling. So I'm impressed by you.

They make some suspender like things to keep your sheets on. But I think maybe just be creative and use one of those 5 machines.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    They make some suspender like things to keep your sheets on. But I think maybe just be creative and use one of those 5 machines.
    They are called sheet garters and they don't work worth a crap, especially on flannels.

My mattress isn't very fat, so I don't have first hand experience on how these sheets work on a really big one, but the nice flannels that I got at Target have elastic all the way around the edge, rather than just at the corners and they don't have any true "pocket" at all no seams - more like a big flannel bag.... They stay put really nicely on our bed and are nice and soft too.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

try sheets from the company store. www.TheCompanyStore.com

my mattress is about 11 inches thick maybe 12 inches. And its a king size. 8)
    I've never been disappointed by their service, quality and price. I like their flannel sheets.

smilingcat
    Last edited by smilingcat; 02-26-2009 at 07:11 PM.

How deep is your mattress? It's pretty easy to find sheets up to 22" just by googling.

I agree those garters don't work. I've been happy with just hitting up Macy's on a sale. They usually have various depth pocket sheets. I love their Hotel Collection towels. It's been worth the splurge.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I think my mattress is 18 inches thick - it's ridiculous. Lands End has sheets that almost fit. Unfortunately they are kind of crisp, in a way that some people must love. Just not me. But they stay on! Tokie

This thing is like 15" huge and fat.
    And really comfy.

Our last one was 9".

My mattress is one of those 15 inchers, and I finally went out and bought deep(er) pocket sheets at Sam's Club. My son recently upgraded his bed so I took the memory foam topper off of it just yesterday and put it on my bed, and those sheets STILL fit! I have to jump up a little to get on the bed. Best of all, they were only about $40 for the set, and they're very fine cotton. I think they're these.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

I've got a big fattie mattress too and I love the deep pocket flannels from Bed Bath, and Beyond. Take a 20% off coupon and get a deal!
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    We found you have to measure and read the labels carefully when sheet shopping....and yes, the deeper the sheets, the more expensive they seem to be. But at least good sheets last for many years, as opposed to cheaper sheets, that's what I've found anyway.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1+ on the Company Store sheets. If you keep an eye on the website you can frequently find a good sale.

Or buy the next size up in sheets.

I have an old-fashioned double bed, but bought a new thicker matress and box springs, so buying standard queen sheets works for me. My problem is that the elastic has given out on the fitted sheet. Yes, I can sew. I HATE mending. I am loath to replace the yards of elastic in the fitted bottom sheet. So I use the garter thingies to help keep the corners tucked.
    Beth

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    DH and I have a running gag, rating hotels by how quickly the sheet corners pop off the mattress. According to our rating system, in the best hotels they stay put, no matter what.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^