Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

V, when it gets hot down there you need to come up here and ride... especially if you like hills.

The road around Lake Tahoe is partially closed for road work, but there are lots of other places to go. And we're at least 10-15 degrees cooler than Sac.

Yes your notes do get read even if we do not post comments!

Your doing great!
    tina

Week 11 - I hate shopping!

My clothing situation has become a real problem. All of my size tens are falling off of me. I’ve lost ten pounds since March and five percent body fat.I ordered some size eights from Eddie Bauer last week. I was so excited when they arrived, couldn’t wait to get home and try them on. Alas, they were too big! Apparently super-sized Americans still want to pretend they are little and clothing manufacturers are happy to oblige. Bear in mind, I was a size 8 in junior high and a size 10 in high school. My wedding dress was a size 14. If size 8 is now too big, what am I? a 6?

We took the size eights back to the Eddie Bauer Outlet store on Saturday. I tried on some sixes and found some that fit, but I didn’t really like the style. We went off to the Gap Outlet. I couldn’t find anything that fit properly at the Gap, which was fine since I didn’t really like any of the styles anyway. From there we went to the Anne Taylor outlet. Here I discovered I am a Petite, Curvy 4? What? Yeah, I am lean, but I am NOT a size 4! The only pants they had in this cut were really ugly. I did try them on. They did fit, but white flat-fronted pants with tiny gold chains at the waist is not a look I’m into.

We gave up and went to lunch at Baja Fresh. This was the best part of our day. Our local Baja Fresh has closed and I really like their shrimp tacos.

On the way home we were near the Anne Taylor Loft that has opened locally, so we decided to give it a try. Loft seems to be a younger, “fresher” version of Anne Taylor - slightly less tailored look, a lot more trendy. In this store I am a size 6, Julie cut. I think Julie means curvy. Whatever. I did find three bottoms that fit and that I liked. Good grief, all I want is to look decent at work.

Nothing really new on the training front to report, just more biking , running, yoga and weight lifting.

Check out the details on our participation in Race Across America.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

You are absolutely correct about the sizing. I buy most of my clothes at the Loft and my size keeps getting smaller and smaller, despite the fact that I am the same size! It makes it hard to shop on line.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    You are absolutely correct about the sizing. I buy most of my clothes at the Loft and my size keeps getting smaller and smaller, despite the fact that I am the same size! It makes it hard to shop on line.
    I wish women's clothes were sized like men's. A guy can go into any store, grab a pair of pants that are sized by waist and length and know they'll fit. I have clothes ranging from size 6-12 in my closet that all fit. feh

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Yeah, I am lean, but I am NOT a size 4!
    Veronica - I know what you mean! I am 4 pounds lighter than I was when I was 25 (15 year ago. ack!) I was a size 8 then. Now? My newly purchased size 6 jeans and shorts are already getting big on me, and I just got two pairs of jeans which claim to be size 4s.

I keep saying the same thing - I am NOT a size 4. Except these days, apparently I am.

It's no wonder that we at TE always hear complaints about how cycling clothing "runs small". While the whole world has been vanity sizing like crazy, cycling apparel has actually been relatively stable in it's sizing over the years (with some exceptions of course). I'm a good solid medium in many brands (sometimes a small in jerseys, depending on the brand) which fits with my mental image of me as "really a size 8".

When I was in college, I worked for American Eagle Outfitters for 2.5 years. The very smallest size we carried was a size 4, and that was for teeny weeny people. We usually only received one item in a size 4 in a given style. These days I see lots of size 0 & 2's on store shelves, which is nuts.

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

I've tried to explain this sizing thing to people and they don't get it, glad to hear it from others, I am sometimes a O, yep, zero, as in NO SIZE??? and I am not that small, I am what I consider a totally healthy weight of 135, for 5" 6, so I don't know WHO they are dressing

Yep, I once asked the manager at the Loft how could it be that I have gone from a size 4/6 to a 0 or 00 in the last five years when I am the same size. She got kind of mad and didn't know how to answer me. When I was in high school, I weighed about the same as I do now and I wore a size 7 for years after that and in college.
    I can't believe American women are that vain. I mean, our population is getting heavier and they think their size is going down?

I guess the bright side is that now that they're down to zero, it'll have to stop. Right??? Right??? Or will we have negative sizes next year?

It's not like it's new, though. I've read that "misses" sizes got their name because they used to be what "juniors" are now. An average 12 year old girl would wear a misses size 12, etc. Adult women would wear (duh) "womens."

I guess I've answered my own question about what happens next...
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 06-03-2009 at 03:12 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Week 12 - Then and Now

We’ve been looking through some of our older photos. I thought it would be interesting to do a similar photo shoot.

May 12, 2002

June, 7, 2009

In 2002 we were just getting back into cycling after an eight year hiatus. We did our first organized century in early June that year on our mountain bikes with slick tires. It was America’s Most Beautiful Ride - around Lake Tahoe.

Here I am seven years and several thousand miles later, training for a Half Ironman Triathlon.

Speaking of training, I’m a liitle freaked. My race is in eight weeks. This is the last week of school. Yippee!! But oodles to do as I am changing rooms again. Next week I’ll spend Monday - Thursday taking the first class for my Masters. I think it’s going to be a little intense - 8 hours a day as a student. Early Friday morning we fly to San Diego to hook up with our RAAM team. I KNOW that week is going to be intense. So, I’m a little concerned about how much training I’ll get in the next three weeks. In July we’re spending ten days in Maine and Vermont. While we’re in Vermont we will be riding the Six Gaps . I plan on doing some running those days after riding. But vacation plans don’t always go the way I think they will.

Yet, I’m really looking forward to my various adventures. Sometimes, it’s the journey, not the destination that matters.

TandemHearts.com

This week' s report is here.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Weeks 14 and 15

I was in class week 14, so all I did was my trainer sessions.

I was crewing RAAM week 15. All I did was a few headstands in Indiana and one in Annapolis.

It looks like week 16 isn't going to amount to much. I've got a serious cold with lots of chest congestion.

July 12 is my Olympic distance tri. I'm just going to do it and hope for the best.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

hard

V..you're one hard mama & you'll probably kick a## anyways

You'll do great, V. Just take care of that cold.

I think Urlea just did a tri as she was recovering from a cold and she did very well. Maybe the enforced taper, rest, and chicken soup are the secret to success.

Can't wait to read your race report.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

Week 17 write up is here.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com