Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have done 5 triathlons and out of the 5 I have come in last or second or third to last in FOUR of them, overall categories, men and women. In one race I was coming in last and some guy was slowing down, I asked him if he wanted me to run with him, or if I should just pass, he said "nah, go ahead, I'll finish last today". The judges had actually stopped tallying that runners were passing, they said "oh we know you're not gonna cheat". I sort of wish that I could do well, but I also accept my own speed limits. I just feel pretty amazed that I am out there at all, and that I train so much. Just the fact that you train for an HIM already makes you the top in your age category in the WORLD! Most people are NOT doing triathlons, or training more than 3 hours a week, so please be super proud of yourself! You are in a one percent of the world category.

Loved the post Veronica!

I am so sorry there is no Athena division. I must say I CAN feel your disapointment. When we did the biathlon a few weeks ago I felt it was very unfair also - it was divided by relays or m-F but not by age at all. The mixed team who ended up winning it were 2 kids under the age of 20 who were HS varsity state placers in running and swimming. Their ages added to 38 - ours added to 101!
    But like you, I had to reframe my thinking - we dropped 6 minutes off our previous time so it was all good.

AND it sounds like it has really gotten you motivated! Apples instead of Reese's PB cups - you ROCK girl!
    Good luck in maintaining the momentum

I too decided enough was enough and started WW. online. I tried counting the carb/fat/protein but it was a pain and nothing was happening. WW Points work for me so I pretty much eat South Beach style but watch portions by counting points. After stalling since last fall - I dropped 5.5 lbs in 2 weeks! Now I just have 17 to go
    My motivation is I will be able to ride up hills faster and run faster!

Keep up the good work and keep reporting! I love them

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Quote Originally Posted by tribogota View Post
    I have done 5 triathlons and out of the 5 I have come in last or second or third to last in FOUR of them, overall categories, men and women. In one race I was coming in last and some guy was slowing down, I asked him if he wanted me to run with him, or if I should just pass, he said "nah, go ahead, I'll finish last today". The judges had actually stopped tallying that runners were passing, they said "oh we know you're not gonna cheat". I sort of wish that I could do well, but I also accept my own speed limits. I just feel pretty amazed that I am out there at all, and that I train so much. Just the fact that you train for an HIM already makes you the top in your age category in the WORLD! Most people are NOT doing triathlons, or training more than 3 hours a week, so please be super proud of yourself! You are in a one percent of the world category.
    Nice post, tribogota.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I guess I should have put more smiley faces in my post. Yes, it upset me that I can't race Athena. Depressed is too strong of a word. I should have used a word that conveyed mad/sad better.

I guess I wasn't clear enough that I am "making lemonade." Not being able to race Athena has really pushed me to consider my nutrition and that's a good thing.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

trek series....

This is off the trek official website

The TREK is a Race That Fits Every Women’s Comfort and Experience Level.

The Trek Women Triathlon Series will feature an unprecedented seven official race categories including…

Age Groups (separated by five-year increments)
    Mixed Age Group (so women can do the race with family and friends)
    Athena (150 lbs. minimum)
    Women in Uniform (military or government)
    Physically Challenged
    Elite
    Relay
    … as part of a continuing effort to provide the best possible race experience for all women. Selected cities within the Series will also include "youth focused" triathlons.

they still have the athena catagory.... I am not sure what is close to you.
    Tina

Thanks! I'm still looking for a Half Ironman distance tri with an Athena division.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Sorry they don't have an athena division Veronica, that sucks, especially when you have been working so hard towards a goal.

That being said, I've always been confused about the whole athena division thing. Taller women, and/or larger framed women, seem to automatically be athenas simply based on weight, not on body fat or fitness. I always figured it'd be fairer in some ways to have divisions based on body fat % rather than weight itself. Clearly you are in awesome shape and have a lower body fat %age than I do - I'm only 120lbs but still am around 30% fat. I'm just thinking it must be frustrating to the overweight women who are putting themselves out there and racing, but still have to race against really fit, but bigger-framed women.
    Last edited by kelownagirl; 03-29-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: didn't need to quote whole post...
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

I suppose it is easier to use weight, since most people know what they weigh. Not everyone knows their body fat percentage. And how do you measure someone's fitness to put them into categories?

Power to weight ratio favors women who weigh less. I can put out 200 Watts of power (2.9 W/kg) but so can someone who weighs 40 pounds less than me (3.8 W/kg). I know how it affects cycling, I don't know how it affects running, but I'm sure it does.

In any case, my post was a bit tongue in cheek. Where is the icon for that?

I wanted to get people thinking about what they eat, not focus on poor little me not being on the podium...

And I've already lost 3 pounds since Monday. Bring on the eggbeaters, the tuna and the whole wheat enchilada. No, no enchiladas or Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!

Veronica
    Last edited by Veronica; 03-29-2009 at 01:06 PM.

TandemHearts.com

It's good you're taking your diet more seriously. I don't eat a lot of junk, and I know from my experience in giving it up (many years ago) that eventually it tastes like what it is--junk.

I won't eat a Reeses PB Cup anymore. It's sad, because they used to be okay. Now they add chemicals to replace the cocoa butter to make the chocolate cheaper. I don't eat PGPR or TBHQ. Those are real ingredients. TBHQ may be a carcinogenic. Yeah, let's give it to the kids. Good idea.
    Last edited by redrhodie; 03-29-2009 at 03:13 PM.

You have made some interesting points, Veronica. Anything that gets us thinking about nutrition is good, even though I really understand your disappointment at the elimination of the Athena category.
    I think our bodies constantly try to fool us. Mine has adapted so much to my healthy eating (I gave up junk 25 years ago) and exercise, that any time I gain a pound, it takes a long time and a lot of effort to lose it. Cycling doesn't seem to do much for keeping my weight down anymore, though I am sure I would gain if I stopped! I added in the running, but my pace is not fast. It seems to help, but I can't run more than 2-3x a week or other issues start.
    In the past couple of weeks I have seen subtle changes in my body that I don't like. No one else would notice it, but I know that it means I have to do something different. At this point, I am not sure what that is. I can't starve myself. Do I really want to give up the couple of glasses of wine I have each week, or going out to eat? My life already seems very focused on sports/nutrition in the eyes of most people.
    I can't justify the expense of a trainer, since i am not working. My gut tells me that weight training, etc. would work. I do a little and I do yoga, but there are only so many hours in the day.
    Just some random thoughts. Keep us posted!

An Almost Week - Week 3

I almost completed my ambitious training plan this week. I followed it all the way through Thursday morning.

Monday morning I rode my bike in the trainer. I did the video Zoot Challenge. which is one of my favorite videos. It is much easier to get on the bike in the morning when you like the video. In the afternoon I had my trainer session. Monday is leg day and we’re focusing on increasing my muscle endurance. Shawna, my trainer, had the ladder out on the floor and I did many, many reps of fast feet moving in and out of the ladder, fast feet sideways down the ladder, jumping down the ladder on one foot, long jumps down the ladder and goodness knows what else. In between ladder sets it was jog in place with high knees or step ups. What I like about doing endurance work is it tires out my muscles, but it doesn’t leave me really sore.

Tuesday morning I did Yoga for Triathletes and in the afternoon I did a 3.5 mile run. The run was okay. It was hot and it reinforced that I should not eat oatmeal for breakfast on a run day.

Wednesday morning was another yoga session. This time it was Rodney Yee’s Flexibility routine. In the afternoon I did a two mile interval run on the treadmill before doing upper body work with Shawna. This was a great run and I wish I had gotten there early enough to do a longer session. Eggbeaters are a much better breakfast for running on.

Thursday I hooked up with some friends and rode up the south side of Mt Diablo. It was a social ride and I ended up not having enough time to go to the summit and get back home in time for a meeting I had. It was nice to ride with some of my buds though. I got in 28 miles and 2200 feet of climbing.

What did I skip?

Thursday afternoon yoga - I was wiped out after my meeting and decided to think about cooking a real dinner instead. Okay, so honestly Thom barbecued the steak and I cooked the rice.

Friday morning run - I had to finish packing for our whirlwind trip to San Diego to get the tandem. There will be more about that later.

I’ve been doing pretty well with my food intake. It was hard on the trip to eat healthy. It has been two weeks since I have had a Red Bull. I find myself really craving one every now and then. I really wanted one after Tuesday’s run. I made do with OJ mixed with water. Apple slices have become my new chocolate. Maybe I’m a pod person…

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Week 4 - An Off Week

I didn’t do much this week: a couple of biking videos, some yoga and met with my trainer twice. I stuck with my scheduled workouts through Wednesday. Thursday morning I woke up with that tickling in the back of my throat that tells me I’m a getting a cold. Thursday was the last day of school before Spring Break and it was a rainy day - indoor recess - twenty-nine fifth graders cooped up all day, the day before a break. I was pretty wiped out and just ready to veg by the end of the day. I had planned on doing a bike ride outside on Friday, but it was raining and my cold was getting worse. I read three books instead. Saturday I actually had a low grade fever and napping was the order of the day. Sunday was gorgeous and Thom and I went out for a short ride on the tandem. I tried to not work too hard since whenever I did my chest would start rattling. We’re a little rusty as a team, but things smoothed out as the ride went on.

The time off was actually a good thing. I had pulled or strained a muscle in my right leg last week and the down time gave it a chance to heal. I’m on vacation this week. Not having a schedule is nice. I plan to do lots of reading and relaxing.

TandemHearts.com

Week 5 - Weigh In Week

Woo hoo!!! I’ve been working with my new trainer, Shawna, for four weeks now and seriously following her recommended dietary changes. AND IT’S WORKING! In four weeks I’ve lost 5 pounds overall and dropped to 22.5 percent body fat. I’ve actually lost 6 pounds of fat and gained a pound of muscle.

There’s nothing like seeing some results to recharge your batteries and keep you motivated.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Wow V! It sounds like things are really paying off for you. Great job on sticking with it. You are working so hard! Keep it up - -it's inspirational.
    Jes
    Everyone Deserves a Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Woo hoo!!! I’ve been working with my new trainer, Shawna, for four weeks now and seriously following her recommended dietary changes. AND IT’S WORKING! In four weeks I’ve lost 5 pounds overall and dropped to 22.5 percent body fat. I’ve actually lost 6 pounds of fat and gained a pound of muscle.

There’s nothing like seeing some results to recharge your batteries and keep you motivated. Veronica
    Hi Veronica,

I will most likely never do a tri, but I have been reading your story with interest. Based on photos you have posted of yourself, I think we have a similar build. I've been (half-heartedly) attempting to rid myself of some excess fat in hopes that that will help be become a better climber. Hope springs eternal . I am curious about what your trainer recommended you change in your diet. I have yet to find the right combination for myself. Care to share the wisdom?

Thanks.
    Health is the thing that makes you feel like now is the best time of the year--Franklin Pierce Adams