Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Embarassing saddle question

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just got my first bike since college. It is a trek fx and I've had it a little over a month and I am just loving it. I have been using it mostly to run errands usually in the 6-8 miles range. Hubby and I have gone on longer rides on the weekends (10-15). I am overweight and I am having problems with my saddle post slipping down. Today, I went to the library and about halfway home i felt like my knees were coming up to my ears, LOL! I have tried tightening the clamp on the post as much as I can, but I can only tighten it so much and still be able to close the clamp. Any suggestions?
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

There was a thread on seat post slippage recently. The pros use a hose clamp (from the hardware store) as seen here:
    http://www.velonews.com/photo/74584

wow, great idea! I have one in my garage, i'll give it a shot.
    Mary

I had the same problem on my Biancci mt bike, no mater what I did it would slip down.

I took it in to the shop and they replaced the seat post, have not had the problem since.

The odd thing is that the post that was on it was original to the bike. I don't know why it would not fit, but the new one fixed the problem. So, I would suggest if this is a new bike you go back to the bike shop and talk to them.

If you do decide to put the hose clamp on please make note that they put tape under it, to protect the post.

BarbaraAlys

Yeah, I didn't see that it's a new bike- take her back. In the meantime, hose clamp.

You might want to take your bike to a bike shop and ask them the best way to keep the seat up. Plus, they can help determine where the seat should be positioned. A professional bike fit is the optimal choice, but until you start riding more, you probably don't want to invest in that. But you should at least either research yourself about bike fit or ask your LBS for some tips. It can make such a big difference in your riding ability and aches and pains in your body.
    GO RIDE YOUR BIKE!!!

2009 Cannondale Super Six High Modulus / SRAM Red / Selle San Marco Mantra

I had that problem when I weighed 40 lbs heavier. (mountain bike) My husband could clamp it down tight enough, but then I couldn't get it loose if I wanted to change it. What I ended up doing was laying the bike down and using my foot to close the lever. At that level, I could get it open, even if I had to use something to pry it, but it wasn't as tight as my husband could make it.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

I haven't really tried it yet - but i melted some cross country ski wax on my seatpost recently to see if it holds it up... It did work on the trainer and it's hard to get it down in there now.

I had that problem on my carbon post on my cross bike - my LBS put some goop on it and it fixed the problem. It was something that the mechanic had so I don't have the name of it. I think the hose clamp thing sounds good too just be sure to get your seat at the right height to start (bike fit) and tape it off.

...but don't use a hose clamp on a carbon seat post.

I've used athletic or electrical tape to tape around the pole to stop it from sliding down... the electrical tape bunches, but athletic or wound tape works better.

Take it back to the shop! If you're an averagely tall woman then despite being overweight you're probably lighter than a lot of big tall bike-riding guys. There's no way you're the problem here - either the clamp is a pretty crappy one or it's not set up correctly or something. Tell them what's happening and ask them to fix it.

Thanks for all your suggestions! I've put on the hose clamp and it has worked like a charm. I am off to the LBS tomorrow to have them take a look at it.
    Mary