Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Merced Century Sat Feb 28

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone doing this ride? I'm considering it depending on the weather. I did it a few years ago and enjoyed the ride into the Sierra foothills.
    Nancy

Sorry BikeGoddess -- I haven't made it back here since the Amgen, so I didn't see your post.

From what I heard today from the century organizers, it went well. The weather held at slightly overcast & cool but generally nice all day. I raced in the early part of the morning with shorts, a ss base layer, my ss jersey, and arm warmers and was comfy. It got a little warmer in the afternoon for the kids' race, and then started cooling off again by the time the pro men were done around 5pm.

I hope you made it -- didn't see you, but I was busy the rest of the day helping with primes at the announcers' stand. If you didn't, maybe next year, eh? It's gorgeous out there -- awesome scenery for the road race today.

Thanks for thinking of us!
    ~BikeMomma
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Bike Momma- I didn't come after all, but heard from my bike club friends that it was a great ride. I've done this course before which is why I wanted to return. The guys came back from their ride and watched the rest of the crits. I remember doing that last time I was there and really enjoying it! Maybe next year!

How did you do?
    Nancy

Well, as I was sick for much of the first part of February (didn't do anything for about 2.5 weeks), I wasn't in race shape to start with. So, my goal was to just hang on as long as I could. I did so for 24 of the 25 scheduled laps and then my lungs refused to work after that -- I'm not totally sure what happened, perhaps the pollen in the air, but I started wheezing and having problems getting enough oxygen. So, I went from being with the field across the line with 1 to go to about 24 seconds behind in a matter of one lap. But I lasted probably twice as long as I predicted I would, so it was a successful day, anyway.

Later, my kids rode in the PeeWee race and my 7-yr-old was first across the line in his heat. The Nutt family redeemed itself.

Fun -- I love the Merco course. Technical around the Old Courthouse chicane, and somewhat safe, as long as everyone holds their line. No crashes in the Wm4 race again this year (2nd year running), which is excellent. Can't say as much for the other cat's. Some nasty ones this year.

Maybe you can make it down next year for the century. Lots of positive comments from participants.
    ~BikeMomma
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein