Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

David Zabriskie Robbery

To disable ads, please log-in.

This is so sad. It sounds like someone obviously knew he was going to be gone and took their time cleaning out his house.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5683324

I wonder where he lives and if he had a security system. It does seem strange the neighbors did not notice anything. But then again, it could have happened in the dark of night, or someone he knows was involved so the neighbors didn't think anything of it.

Please keep these items in mind as you are surfing the web in case anything pops up on ebay, craigst list etc.

I truly hope they catch who did this and get DZ his things back. This is just awful.

That REALLY sucks. I have stuff I love, but no medals from the Olympics or grand tours. Talk about irreplaceable!

What a bunch of low lifes. They obviously knew who lived there and that the house would be gone because his wife and baby were in Cali too. The things on that list just made me want to cry and then to steal the cars, too.

I am guessing since they were gone probably left extra keys to the cars at home so he had one less thing to keep up with in his luggage. Thieves are horrible.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

wow! So sad about all of the sentimental stuff! the cars and bikes can be replaced. Tho I would feel like a part of me was missing if my bikes got stolen. But I know pro's don't quite treat their bikes like we do.
    Sigh... what low life's!

I don't know, I saw an article about DZ being pretty attached to his Surly Pugsly. Either way the insecurity of leaving your wife and baby at home or having lost things you cherish. I hope they find the people!
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Burglary, not robbery.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

It's amazing that they were able to get away with that. They would've needed a crew of people and a moving van to get all of that and the cars.

Knowing DZ, he'll be as upset about his Marvel statues as about any of the bikes or awards. What a pain in the a-s-s way to come down after doing so well in the ToC. I feel for him and his wife

And Zen, do semantics really matter in regards to something this lousy?

Edit to add: Velonews has also reported this and they included the following-

"Anyone with any information on this burglary or the location of the items is asked to call the Tips for Cash line at 799-INFO (4636). Please reference case #09-32767."
    Last edited by Kalidurga; 02-24-2009 at 12:42 PM.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    And Zen, do semantics really matter in regards to something this lousy?

Haven't you seen enough of Zen's posts to know the answer is yes.

I am thinking how convenient, steal the cars that probably have bike racks and stash all the things in them since they are both station wagon types, right? That might be one of the reasons to take the cars too?

Of course since these jerks aren't lovers of cycling (likely) they probably just threw the carbon bikes in the back of a pickup with little regard to transport.
    Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Haven't you seen enough of Zen's posts to know the answer is yes.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    The grammar/vocabulary police is on the prowl. Posters beware!

A robbery is much more frightening than a burglary.
    When I read the title of the post I was concerned for his life and limb.
    But a burglary, while still upsetting is not the same Unless heirloom or photos were stolen, most (not all) of those items can be replaced.

I just hope he gets a better security system.

Truly, truly disturbing. Must have taken the thieves a while to empty out the house.

I don't know that I'd ever feel safe in that home again. The burglars are still out there and even if they didn't know before, they now know they robbed a professional cyclist with $$. Often, they come back for more.

I would imagine his wife is a bit freaked out. I wouldn't want to stay there alone when he's over in Europe.

One car recovered, arrest made

Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinckley

Smart, you would think he might at least steal some plates so they didn't figure out immediately it was the stolen car?!
    Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Smart, you would think he might at least steal some plates so they didn't figure out immediately it was the stolen car?!
    Yeah, what's up with that!?! Cars get stolen all the time. But few get the national (and international?) news coverage like this case. The descriptions and license numbers of Dave's two cars have been reported everywhere!!
    Bork Bork, Hork Hork!!