Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

sensitive women's issue

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sorry if I get a bit graphic, but I don't know how else to explain it. I've been reading lots of posts on women's "soreness" problems. I too am having a problem that I've not yet seen anyone relate to.

I had started out with sit bone problems, but that's all good now. My problem now is rubbing/irritaton in my vulval area. Not my outer, but my inner. I guess I'm a bit larger there than most women. I've tried Chamois Butter before rides, seems ok for short rides, but MTBing for 10-12 mile races I'm all out sore before I get halfway through!!!

It is a bit embarassing to knwo that maybe you are bigger in that area than other women..LOL...I know a new saddle may help but are there any other tricks, suggestions?

Thanks.
    Christine

Quote Originally Posted by Aramei
    It is a bit embarassing to knwo that maybe you are bigger in that area than other women..LOL...I know a new saddle may help but are there any other tricks, suggestions?
    First: everybody's different! That's what makes life interesting!

Second: I thought something similar. I used to get blistered, bruised, even bloodied in my very very tender region. Thought I just "stuck out" and sat on myself. 'Tain't true. First, I learned to sit my bike better, rocking my pelvis back a little to get solidly on my sitbones. But second, I GOT A NEW SADDLE. It made a difference like night and day. No more horrible friction burn!

I had this same vulval irritation/rawness until I changed to a saddle with a cutout several years ago. I would recommend that if you haven't already tried it. There are plenty on the market now that are not too spendy. I love the Terry Butterfly but just got a Performance women's contour for my mountain bike for much less and like it a lot. Here's the link - it's half price right now!

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5211

Good luck!
    Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

A woman specific seat is brilliant... talk to a woman in your LBS because their are several different styles of woman-specific seats based on our pelvis shapes (which come in several types).
    Then make sure angle and position are right (get fitted if you are not sure) and then ride. Hopefully without the discomfort...

LOL... the gap in my seat is marketed as a "love channel" ... someone out there has a sense of humour, I'm sure!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

I'm on my 5th seat in 2 months-it finally came down to the Terry butterfly gelissimo. The staff at TE was wonderful and recommended a couple of different seats to try out and (thank you Susan!) their recommendations were right on. I also adjusted my seat more forward and raised the handlebars a bit higher so that I wasn't reaching so far. (riding a road bike)
    The seat certainly helped but the riding position definately needed to be a tad more upright to get me off the "delicate" area. Still a bit uncomfortable but a heck of a lot better than before. Good luck!
    ~~AG~~

I can relate to this issue ....

After having gone through a number of saddles before discovering that for me the perfect way to pedal by *** around town is from a San Marco Atola. When DH ordered our 7500 FX earlier this year he ordered an Atola along with the bike.

The Atola has the :::doing my best Barry White imitation::: luv channel (what copywriter thought THAT up??) but apparently it works for me.

Good luck finding a new saddle - hope you'll let us know what you find works for you.
    On Yer Bike!

I have the terry butterfly, which I got this year to replace my terry women's liberator gel seat. Both have cut outs in the middle, which definitely helps. The butterfly is a bit harder than the liberator. I just did a century on the butterfly and my a$$ hurt, but that I think is part of sitting on a saddle for 7 hours. But the female bits were ok. The I did 2 ragbrai's on the liberator gel and had no issues. I also use Butt'R, which they sell on this site whenever I do a long ride. It really saves the bits from chaffing, etc.

Hope you find some relief!
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"

Quote Originally Posted by Aramei

Thanks.
    Christine
    First of all, forget the embarrassment! If you can't talk about it here, where can you talk about it? I can't imagine a guy saying, "It's a bit embarrasing to know that maybe you're a bit bigger ..." Right. Anyway.

Definitely try a variety of saddles. Some wonderful LBSes allow you to exchange saddles as long as they're not scuffed; call around and see if you can find a place like this.

My particular problem was getting smooshed "up front" -- if the ride wasn't technical enough (mountain biking) to keep my body moving, I would get pain and numbness in everything near the mons pubis. A new saddle helped a bit, but this year I've noticed that it's gone away. I credit it to my chiro's contribution to my improved posture. When I had my bike fit, they had a lot of things to say about proper biking position that might help ...

Good luck! I strongly believe there's a saddle out there that, combined with proper position, will let you ride without that kind of pain.
    monique

A saddle with a cut out was my saving grace, after suffering for far too long on one without. Despite being a women's design it was just the wrong shape for me totally and the cut out has made the world of difference.

Even with a nice, comfy saddle, any one else notice feeling a little extra tender down there when their period is due? At certain times of the month I seem to notice my saddle more than others.

well, saddle is one thing - I think that's been covered well

but fit and position are quite another!

previously, particularly on the road bike or on long, not terribly steep MTB climbs, I would make a point of doing what I do in yoga and for stretching - keeping my back as straight as possible and bending at my hip flexors....

well, that puts all the weight right on taloola!! owie!!

so, when the professional fit my road bike a few weeks ago, he talked about how, on the bike, women are supposed to bend at the waist and keep the pelvis upright! of course, to accomplish that, the saddle needs to be far enough forward and the bar needs to be high enough and close enough for a good fit. once that was done - voila - no hand pain, no shoulder pain, and best of all, my sharona was not screaming in agony on each ride!

and, I adjust my pelvis frequently to get that upright pelvis - it seems to work the abs better, too!

live and learn, I figure!

good luck!

Namaste,
    ~T~

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMitre
    Even with a nice, comfy saddle, any one else notice feeling a little extra tender down there when their period is due? At certain times of the month I seem to notice my saddle more than others.
    I don't have them very often any more but thank you for mentioning this MM.....coz mine came through Sun and both Sat and Sun I could NOT get comfortable on the saddle. It isn't a new saddle, I've ridden it for months but all the sudden it didn't fit right, it hurt me, I kept standing on the pedals (which then caused me to have foot pain!), even my back hurt. As the days are passing, the saddle is becoming my friend again so I can only put it down to my period starting.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Thumbs up Suggestions

Looks like the gals have got the saddle and fit aspect covered. But what to do once you're irritated ...

1 - Wear a skirt -- you're a bicyclist so you've got the legs! With no panties! Besides, who needs the lines? You don't need anything else pulling up during the day. If you are in an office and must wear hose ... cut out the crotch!

2 - Take 20 minute baths with baking soda to relieve the pain and a few drops of tea tree oil to help prevent infections, particularly yeast and fungus. You can also apply the tea tree oil directly to your toes after your bath or in the gym as a preventative measure for them as weel. I swear by it.

3 - Wash with Aveeno oatmeal soap ... I prefer the liquid. Nothing is more gentle. period. Make sure your partner does too. His harsh, chemical soaps do you no good. Just buy him some and make it a little present. If he bulks ... tell him to please use it were it counts and he can use his English Lather everywhere else for that manly scent (think I just confused my products, but my point is made!)

4 - When done bathing, air dry is best. If in hurry and you must ... pat dry. Never rub. The Dr's are now debating blow dry on cool / low ... some are for it others are not ... so I'll leave the choice up to you.

5 - Apply a little vitamine e oil to the affect area for more relief and faster healing. That's straight from the OB/GYN.

6 - Get those shorts off immediately when you are done to get the air circulating ... slip on a wrap skirt if away from home and from underneath squiggle out of the shorts.

7 - When you do ride, apply some A&E ointement (doesn't smell all that great) as a protective layer that provides some additional "glide." Most often used on babies for diaper rash ... so you know it's gentle and protects from the skin / sorea area from moisture.

8 - Invest in some good quality shorts with an antibotic chamosis.

Hope this helps ...

Pedal Power