Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

To disable ads, please log-in.

Emily, in the 5Ks around here, there are usually LOTS of finishers in the 40- and 50-minute range. (And I'm not just talking about people in the older age groups either.)

+1 on running your own race. I haven't noticed anyone posting in this thread that's Olympic caliber! (And if I've missed someone, apologies!) But for "the rest of us," it's just for fun and fitness. In a local race, how I place is entirely dependent on who else shows up. And it really doesn't matter much to me.

Plus, there are lots of runners in this world who never enter a race. Lots of us on this board have fun with some friendly competition, but you're no less of a runner if that's not your cup of tea!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Urlea View Post

Aggie I admire your determination! It's tough to train when you aren't exactly feeling inspired. Anything in particular that is keeping it from being enjoyable or just weary of the added distance?
    The distance isn't really getting to me. I think it is the schedule and structure. I am so tired I don't feel like doing anything I don't run, which is only two days a week. It is pretty exhausting to run 5x a week. Last week I went mountain biking but yesterday I sat around the house, ran some errands. This is my first time ever doing a training schedule and I am not really enjoying the "run x amount on x day" part I guess.

DH says he felt the same way when he was a football player but the end result (for me completing the 1/2) was worth it and then I don't have to run if I don't want to.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Thanks for all the encouragement - you gals are so sweet!

Actually, I would probably consider a 5K, given all the stuff you have said, except that most of them I've found just aren't very convenient for me to get to from where I live (out in da boonies), and I am not a morning person, so I tend to run around lunchtime (or late morning). I've also been cutting way back on discretionary spending for a variety of reasons, so paying $25+ to do such a short event (and the driving to and from) just doesn't seem practical right now. But, never say never -- I will consider it if an event comes up nearby that has a reasonable entry fee and doesn't begin at oh-dark-thirty.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Emily - come and run w/ me and you won't come in last

A couple of years ago I had an asthma attack in the middle of the OW swim. I had to switch to my back and just kick - took me FOREVER to get out of the water and that is my strong leg. I was going to quit because I knew I would be last but decided to finish anyway (mainly because gas was like 3.00 that time and it was a 5 hour drive to get there) and I decided someone had to finish last.
    I finished and guess what ! I didn't come in last! Second to last but not last.

Like everyone said you would be surprised who is there. I am there because of the friendly competition and to meet my own goals.
    Mainly because if I don't have an event to train for I don't work out, being good for me just doesn't cut it.

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic View Post
    Mainly because if I don't have an event to train for I don't work out, being good for me just doesn't cut it.
    I think that's part of why I say that I really am not a "runner", if being one entails training for and doing events. Maybe I should say I am a "fitness jogger". I only started last February, and once it got too warm for me to run outside (about May here in humid NC), I stuck with treadmilling at the gym. Even though I haven't done a cycling event in several years, I still consider myself a cyclist, but not a runner. If I ever do a running event, then I guess I'll probably feel like a real runner, but for now, I run to burn calories and for heart and bone health, not to do events. Just a slightly different focus.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow