Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did about 20 minutes around the neighborhood again, breaking my rule about not running yet on consecutive days (because I will not have time tomorrow and there's a big snowstorm coming). It was a fairly nice day although not as warm as yesterday. Looks like some good snowshoeing coming up though!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Yesterday was a pooootiful day, 12C, not a cloud in the sky.

I had done a looong run on Sunday, spinning Monday, nothing Tue, my PT-prescribed Lunges Wed and still had sore butt from that, 30min run Thu and a brief session of PT on Fri.

My legs were tired.

Nevertheless I schlepped my butt on top of the hill and round about there for an hour. I'm sure it wasn't a pretty picture (I got mercilessly passed by two old guys) but I'm glad I went and I have no pain. Woo hoo.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by Urlea View Post
    Crankin Try Teko brand wool socks, they are fantastic. It's all I've worn this winter and they have yet to fail me. They are as thin as their summer socks (which I also use).

Aggie Have I asked what distance race you are training for?

Good job getting your training runs in this week ladies, lets keep that going for next!
    +1 on the TEKO socks, I love mine! They are even nice in mild 40's-50's.

I am training for a half marathon, I am at a point where I am not really enjoying it but won't give up either!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I am so stoked!!

I've been following a 13 week training program designed to take a non-runner (which definitely defines ME ) from nothing to a 10K in, yes, 13 weeks. Today's run was week 12, workout 1 (of 3). The plan was run 45, walk 1, run 20 for a total workout of 66 minutes. Yesterday, I mapped out a loop out my front door that works out to 6.3 miles, and decided that today I would see how much of that I could cover in 66 minutes. Well, I can hardly believe it, but I covered the entire distance!! In exactly 66 minutes. I am sooooo excited. It's been a really long time since I've been in the shape to run this distance, and even longer since I've been able to do it at that pace.

I also wanted to thank you guys for the Bolthouse suggestion re: nutrition. As it turns out, I haven't found it yet, but the smoothie idea got me thinking that I might be able to stomach something like yogurt as a pre-run food. (I make my homemade smoothies with yogurt). So I had one about 20 minutes before, followed by a Gu Roctane *immediately* before I left, and that combo worked. I had enough energy and didn't get hungry during the run.

Now, it's time for breakfast, and then I'm off to my 10am swim lesson.

Have a wonderful day ladies!!

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Way to go Susan. That is great. I am working my way back up to that distance too. Keep up the good work. I hope by next weekend to achieve that distance.

Susan GREAT job on the speedy run! That had to be an amazing feeling!

Aggie_ama you said my thoughts exactly - not enjoying it but not going to give up!

Alpine Hooray on the no pain!

Oak I hear you on fit. my foot is a standard width but I have a high arch and instep and my first 3 toes are the same length so I need a wide toe box but an average heel. luckily I found a model of Asics that fit really really well.
    My daughter couldn't even find a snowboot in a woman's size to fit, she had to go to mens, I think she is at an 11 women's now.Long flat feet totally opposite of mine. (good thing - she can't take my shoes) At school and when I shop for shoes I have noticed girls feet are way bigger than they were a generation ago. All my friends wore size 6.5 to 8 and all my daughters friends and girls at school are wearing 8 to 11's! I wonder why that is.

Urlea {{{{{{healing vibes}}}}}}} sent over for you DH and for you to not catch anything. Glad to hear everything felt good on your run

No run today - I am glad I am doing the swim portion of the biathlon - the temps are only +8 F and there is nothing to break the wind on the 5 mi run portion.

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post
    I might be able to stomach something like yogurt as a pre-run food. (I make my homemade smoothies with yogurt). So I had one about 20 minutes before, followed by a Gu Roctane *immediately* before I left, and that combo worked.
    Maybe you want to try plain yoghurt with some honey on top. Tastes yummy!
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

I ordered the Teko socks, 2 micro pairs and 2 that are a little taller. Then I cleaned out my plastic drawers with all of my cycling/sports apparel. What a job. I brought up a bigger set of drawers my son used in college and rearranged everything, threw out a few things.
    I have a lot of stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I ordered the Teko socks, 2 micro pairs and 2 that are a little taller. Then I cleaned out my plastic drawers with all of my cycling/sports apparel. What a job. I brought up a bigger set of drawers my son used in college and rearranged everything, threw out a few things.
    I have a lot of stuff...
    At least it is important stuff

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post
    I've been following a 13 week training program designed to take a non-runner (which definitely defines ME ) from nothing to a 10K in, yes, 13 weeks. Today's run was week 12, workout 1 (of 3). The plan was run 45, walk 1, run 20 for a total workout of 66 minutes. Yesterday, I mapped out a loop out my front door that works out to 6.3 miles, and decided that today I would see how much of that I could cover in 66 minutes. Well, I can hardly believe it, but I covered the entire distance!! In exactly 66 minutes. I am sooooo excited. It's been a really long time since I've been in the shape to run this distance, and even longer since I've been able to do it at that pace.

I also wanted to thank you guys for the Bolthouse suggestion re: nutrition. As it turns out, I haven't found it yet, but the smoothie idea got me thinking that I might be able to stomach something like yogurt as a pre-run food. (I make my homemade smoothies with yogurt). So I had one about 20 minutes before, followed by a Gu Roctane *immediately* before I left, and that combo worked. I had enough energy and didn't get hungry during the run.

Now, it's time for breakfast, and then I'm off to my 10am swim lesson.

Have a wonderful day ladies!!

Susan
    Wow. You are just totally beaming. I can tell. Your good mood and excitement is just shining right through that post !

That is a great accomplishment. Excellent and congratulations.

Susan, congratulations! That is wonderful. So far my longest run is 5 miles, and that was last year. This year I've only done 3-4 mile runs. I still don't consider myself a "real" runner because I'm so irregular with it, don't do events, etc. I would, however, like to run a 10K someday just to say I did. I'm slow so I'm not as keen on the 5K distance as I would probably come in last in an event, and that would just make me feel lousy.

Your accomplishments are most inspiring!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Way to go Susan!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Emily, Please don't let your pace keep you from participating in events! You'd be surprised at all the different paces people run/walk at,at most races.

Keeping mind to run your own race makes a huge difference. I get passed by a lot of people and that will start to get me mentally if I don't remind myself that it's only my PR to beat, not somebody else.

Aggie I admire your determination! It's tough to train when you aren't exactly feeling inspired. Anything in particular that is keeping it from being enjoyable or just weary of the added distance?

Susan Woohoo!!! You'll be in ship shape come your half marathon, no problem. Congrats on such a great run!

Me, I am enjoying my rest day. Sunday is the only day I don't train for something and it feels great!
    For more details, check out my blog! http://stubborntriathlete.blogspot.com/

For all the randomness, follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/ShootRunTri

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I would, however, like to run a 10K someday just to say I did. I'm slow so I'm not as keen on the 5K distance as I would probably come in last in an event, and that would just make me feel lousy.
    Emily,

I agree with Urlea. You should do it anyway. I've lost a whole bunch of weight recently, but the past few years I was quite heavy. I still did triathlon and was always near the back. And I was slooooow. But I always finished. And while I wished I was faster, I kept thinking "well, I'm doing something that 99% of the other people out there can't even imagine doing. So who cares that I'm slow!"

I don't think you'd be last. But even if you were, you'd be DOING it. And that is a huge accomplishment to be celebrated.

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Emily, we should do an event together ! Right now, I can't see me ever running over 3 miles, because it still is not easy for me to run that far. I know eventually, I can build up, but a 10k I think might have to wait until the end of the summer. I don't care about being slow.
    Funny, I would never think about racing a bike. I know what that takes. I don't even do charity rides and every year I do less group riding, just riding with friends. But doing a 5K or 10K doesn't seems less daunting, as far as the actual thought of a "race."
    7 inches of snow and still coming down...