Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ran 3.25 today as per my training program requirements for the full. I realized as I was getting ready to go run that I couldn't remember the last time I had run under 5miles outside. It was difficult to think up a route that was that distance, but I managed. Went .25 over my allotted, but that's okay.

Overall pretty good run. I ran without headphones. I've been spoiling myself with ipod use this winter as a means to distract me from the cold, but since it was a balmy 20 above I left it at home today. The birds were chirping again, it was nice.

On to my odd question of the day, why should small busted women wear sports bras?

After my long run on Saturday I woke up Sunday morning with pain right where my sport-bra strap hits on my left shoulder. I've been debating if it may have been how I slept, but the top of my shoulder felt okay before I ran today and now it's a little tight. I did wear a looser fitting bra today though.

I didn't swim over the weekend and yesterday I felt fine when I did so I have a hard time believing it's from that. *shrug* I don't know what to think!
    Last edited by Urlea; 02-24-2009 at 10:19 AM.
    For more details, check out my blog! http://stubborntriathlete.blogspot.com/

For all the randomness, follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/ShootRunTri

I've recently re-introduced running to my training after a stress fracture in my heel 3 years ago. I guess you could call me a returnee. I've done some running on the treadmill, and recently adding spurts of it to my morning walk with Karma, my Whippet.
    She injusred her leg on Friday (she's fine now) so we kept it at a walk this morning, but will begin running again tomorow!
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by Urlea View Post
    Ran 3.25 today as per my training program requirements for the full. I realized as I was getting ready to go run that I couldn't remember the last time I had run under 5miles outside. It was difficult to think up a route that was that distance, but I managed. Went .25 over my allotted, but that's okay.
    I had a similar experience yesterday, 'cept my schedule called for 2 miles. 2 miles? I can't remember the last time I ran only 2 miles. So I did 3.4. and then today was supposed to be 5 and I did 6.25. I am taking tomorrow off even though it's a run day; I have a book club meeting (note that the "book club" that I belong to does not read...we just drink beer and chat).

Quote Originally Posted by Urlea View Post
    On to my odd question of the day, why should small busted women wear sports bras?
    Bras are totally overrated for us less endowed women. I usually just wear a camisole to prevent rub (I like the active camis from Patagucci). Works fine. Currently my pecs stick out almost as far as my b00bs. Pathetic. The older I get, the more they disappear.

Someone please knock me upside the head.

I just committed to a half-marathon to celebrate my 40th in October.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

***KNOCKS Susan Upside the head!*** but only for not doing so sooner!

Train smart and you'll do great. Best of luck, I look forward to hearing about your training runs!
    Last edited by Urlea; 02-25-2009 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Grammar.
    For more details, check out my blog! http://stubborntriathlete.blogspot.com/

For all the randomness, follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/ShootRunTri

Susan! Awesome!! Enjoy the training!

I did 7 miles last night (and a swim on monday). When I got home from my run, I just kept thinking, "I love running." That must be because nothing hurts at this exact moment!

I don't get to run again until sunday (plenty of swimming and cycling between now and then), but I am going to the trails sunday, and I am already looking forward to it!

I don't know about machine :-) As the volume has increased, my coach took my third run of the week out, and increased the lenth of my other two, so I have Friday off. I have found that I am more tired, so I am going to bed eariler to make up for the additional training

I am pretty intimidated by the next four weeks of my training. The buildup is a little bit insane, but I think I can do it...I hope....I might need to take a day off just to get some extra sleep :-)

Enjoy your runs!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Did my 30 minute easy run last night. My foot is still hurting dagnabit. I think maybe I need some arch supports, I dunno? Everything else feels great but that right foot is painful and from what I can tell it isn't a normal running injury pain (at least from the web resources I checked). My HR was at 170 which according the Polar "Own Zone" is at the top but not out of my hard zone. So that was my goal. I wanted to stay under 170.

Eclectic- I can't swim, if I did laps I would probably be in the 190's! Good cross training though, this weekend after my 10 miler I am going kayaking. I can't wait!

Urlea- I keep having the same problem. My training schedule calls for time and I go to a local walking path. I keep stopping mid-lap at time which is annoying because I am in the back of the park and I do a super duper long cool down which gets me impatient!

Tofu- Welcome back! I am just coming back and I feel like a total newbie. It is frustrating. Stay injury free.

Yellow- My husband's boss has a "prayer group meeting" that is really a beer bust!

Susan- Congratulations! I would be lying if I said I am not ready to be done with the 1/2 training so I can get back to riding. And I still have this crazy idea about doing a full for my 30th birthday in 2010.

Syndi- I made DH ride his bike along so I could ask what lap I was on!Normally I wouldn't do an 8 mile run where I had to do 10 laps it is a recipe for insanity. I think Eclectic said she bought a lap counter?

Kacie- Your enthusiam is both sickening and inspiring. Keep it up you are doing great!
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 02-25-2009 at 05:23 AM.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Ditto on everything Aggie_ama and Syndirelah said

Susan - YOU GO GIRL ! !
    Is this your first one?

Yellow - I am going to look up that cami - I just find any sports bra too hot and annoying to wear in the summer. I did however find some inexpensive ones made by danskin - they are actually comfortable and not too warm - I wear them anytime I can get away w/ it (neckline makes the difference)

Lap counting I did buy an inexpensive lap counter - works great if you have the presence of mind to click it. Another trick I use is to take a set number of rubber bands on my fingers. I transfer them from one hand to another every lap so if 8 laps make a mile I will take 4 bands. Hopefully the miles aren't to hard too track - your time should be able to tell you that. and anyway I don't do enough to get confused

Now for MY NEWS I did it ! ! ! ! happy dance, happy dance whoo hoo.
    I did the longest run of my life last night. It was on the treadmill but in my world that counts. I did the full 7 miles and didn't do any walking (except for about 3 steps when the treadmill unexpectedly quit at 60 min.)

I decided going into it I was only going to run a 12:30 mile. I have learned it really is a mind game. Starting out I thought "I will run 2.3 on the treadmill, 2.3 on the track and then 2.3 back on the treadmill - I can easily run 2.3 miles." When 2.3 came I thought "I am doing fine I will do 3" and that is how it went - I took it by songs, 12:30 minutes, daydreaming etc etc etc

I was able to carry on a conversation w/ decent sentences at varying times in the run. My HR average was 157 which is good for me. AND I was able to bump up the last .5 mile to an 11:30 mile. I wasn't exhausted when I was done - I felt like I could have kept going.

This was a huge break through for me - The 1/2 mary actually feels like something w/i my reach now.

I still can't say I like to run but I can say I don't dread it as much

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic View Post
    This was a huge break through for me - The 1/2 mary actually feels like something w/i my reach now.

I still can't say I like to run but I can say I don't dread it as much
    Congrats! You know my first 7 miler is what made me think "I can do this". It is the mental hurdle first for me, then the physical and not the other way around. When I used to run I used to look forward to getting home, putting on my shoes and going but not yet. I am hoping I will get there soon.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Susan, yee-ha! Think of how much time you've left yourself to train for the full marathon you'll do to celebrate 50! (I, on the other hand... )

Urlea, wear whatever makes you comfortable. Personally I'm small busted but very floppy (even when I was younger) and need a ton of support. If I ran bra-less the bounce would probably wrench my shoulders out of their sockets. Last year someone posted a video some bra company had made about bounce - their findings were that breast size really doesn't correlate with bounce. But yeah... cami, nip-its (or whatever they're called), band-aids, whatever makes you happy! I wish I could go "free!"
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

1 1/2 hours of snowshoeing last night. I know its not running . . . I'm not running for the rest of the pregnancy.

I'm hoping to get out to do 2 more long walks this week. I really miss running and can't wait to get back at it. We're already looking at the car-seat attachment for the jogger.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

Thank god, I realized I don't turn 30 until 2011 and that is when I am looking at a full. The day is already getting better.

lime A few years ago I did a fun run with a woman who was 7 months along. Seriously?! Who can or wants to run then? She naturally looked like she had a basketball under her shirt and not big old fat ankles. I hate those types, if I ever have kids I know I won't be one so I hate them.
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 02-25-2009 at 07:41 AM.
    Amanda

't'was about time, Susan!

Enjoy the process!

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    1 1/2 hours of snowshoeing last night. I know its not running . . . I'm not running for the rest of the pregnancy.

I'm hoping to get out to do 2 more long walks this week. I really miss running and can't wait to get back at it. We're already looking at the car-seat attachment for the jogger.
    I would waaaaay rather be snowshoeing than running!

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Me too, on the snow shoeing.
    I took 2 days off of everything to deal with my weird medical stuff. This morning, I should have been studying, but I felt better, so I went to the gym. I ran 2.5 miles, in 24.5 minutes, so that was mostly at 5.5-6.2 mph. I took 2 two minute walks after 10 minutes of running. My legs felt a bit heavy, but I noticed my HR was a bit lower (159 instead of 167). I really need to work on running more distance and forget about the speed, but after my run outside, I realized that I think I run faster outside.
    I think I might actually be able to ride outside tomorrow, so no run until Friday.
    My head was very clear when I went on my internship interview this afternoon. I have 2 semi offers, so I have to decide tonight. OK, I have to go read.