Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: aero-bars

aero-bars

To disable ads, please log-in.

newbie here,
    finished week 7 of spin classes, last 3 weeks 4x/week. I find the aero-bars uncomfortable. Instructor has been helpful with bike fit. I'm not sure if I am just that tight in my torso or what? Maybe this just takes time.

Hmmm...

The bars on the spin bike are shaped somewhat like aerobars.

However, when I was taught to teach indoor cycling.....we were told that getting into an aero position was not important in an indoor class because you are not moving and therefore there is no beneift to being in the aero position.

Personally, I think that there is a benefit to being in the aero position indoors only if you are training your body to be more comfortable on aerobars outdoors.

So, I would recommend that you not bend down into the "aero" position. Place your hands lightly just to the sides on the stem.
    "Being retired from Biking...isn't that kinda like being retired from recess?" Stephen Colbert asked of Lance Armstrong

Thank you Silver.That is what I was thinking. I am not training at this point to purchase a bike with or adding aero bars. I am very happy spinning and riding my mtb. I have been reading all threads in regards to favorite bikes. I do want to participate in a women's only triathlon again, but I will continue to learn the basics of bike technology and terminology.

Riding in the "aero" position in the spinning program is a contraindicated movement.

Resting your weight on the indoor cycle's handlebars will isolate your upper body and put strain on your low back. Throw in a little neck pain too.

An indoor bike doesn't have any "give" and doesn't "move" with us. Don't try to make it more complicated than it has to be. Three hand positions, five movements. If you're doing anything more than that you're doing it wrong and putting your riders at risk for injury.
    The Journey is the Reward.

Every time I see this thread title I want a candy bar.

Pam