Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does chamois butter really help?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey, y'all! I'm going to do my first STP (Seattle to Portland) this year at age 56. I'm trying to get in as much saddle time as possible. My legs are in good shape, but I'm worried that after over 100 miles on the saddle that the next day my bootie will refuse to get on again. Any suggestions???

Howdy, Aint! Congrats on getting to ride STP! That is one ride I have always wanted to do. But I'm a bit far away. Maybe someday..........

Yes, I think Chamois butter really helps, if you are having chafing issues. I use Assos Chamois Creme, if I need it, but I suspect any of the products marketed as chamois creme are similar and are going to help your uh, delicate bootie tissues slide and not rub on your shorts and saddle. A cheaper option is Bag Balm. Sold for cow's udders, it is slightly antiseptic, nice and thick, and doesn't even smell TOO bad. You can pick it up at almost any drug store. Lots of ultra distance riders swear by it. Just one hint - if you use it, don't smear on so much that is oozes through your shorts and onto your saddle. Makes it a little too slippery that way! (I've seen it - not a pretty sight!) Whatever you use, smear it in all the creases, and anywhere else you feel you need a little more comfort. For 100 miles, I'd put whatever you decide to use in a small container that you can carry with you and re-apply as needed.

Have fun!!

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

I'm the opposite voice here: I bike commute to work plus do lunchtime rides for a total of about 125 miles a week. I just started doing centuries on the weekend with 20-50 mile recovery rides the next day and I don't use any chamois creme at all. My only issue to date has been my sit bones are a tad sore the next day when I first start out, but once I get going, everything gets warmed up and remembers what it's supposed to do, including them bones!
    Are you having issues now? If no, then you may not need any creme.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Thanks, Annie & Corsair! Knowing about being post menopausal and all that stuff, I wonder if maybe we older women having thinner tissues in that area might be more susceptible. I haven't had any actual chafing--just feel tender at the end of a 60-80 mile ride. Maybe I should get some sort cream that will sorta numb the area?? What do y'all think? Has anybody tried anything like that. By the way, Annie, I have this visual of using too much Bag Balm! Thanks for any info/input.......

Chamois Butt'r is my friend! I got great advice recently to try Chamois Butt'r (or any equivalent) in a different thread on this forum for chafing/itching issues with my thinning tissues in said zone. And I'm just beginning to ride 10-15 mile rides so far. I thought I was doomed. Not so! Completely chafe and itch free now.

Chamois Butt'r is nice because it's completely odorless, and completely non-greasy (seems even less greasy than hand lotions). It's the only product I've tried so far, though.

just as a footnote:

ahem - *clears throat*, I'm 46 and perimenwhatever right now......it may be some people just naturally have thinner tissue than others, it may be the shorts or the saddle or the bike fit. Or it could just be coz I'm the badazz all my friends keep telling me I am! (NOT )
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aint Doody
    Thanks, Annie & Corsair! Knowing about being post menopausal and all that stuff, I wonder if maybe we older women having thinner tissues in that area might be more susceptible. I haven't had any actual chafing--just feel tender at the end of a 60-80 mile ride. Maybe I should get some sort cream that will sorta numb the area?? What do y'all think? Has anybody tried anything like that. By the way, Annie, I have this visual of using too much Bag Balm! Thanks for any info/input.......
    Since there has been a lot of discussion around this the last couple of weeks I decided to googlesurf this morning...
    Didn't find alot that I thought exactly exaplined things for us... and some of the sites are linked to products, so I am always wary of those.
    This is what I found in ten minutes... I'll try and do some better research after I have finished my essay (due next week )

Apparently diminishing estrogen does have an effect on the integrity of our skin after menopause, and hormone replacement therapy can thicken the skin rather than return its integrity. It looks like a lot of sites recommend a Vitamin E cream to assist with keeping the skin on/around your girly bits soft, supple and less prone to thinning effects

http://www.womanlab.com/english/prof...salIssues8.htm

This site is kind’ve medical jargon, but there is an interesting bit on skin integrity, collagen and hormones – though not specifically to the genital area

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/menopause.html

Mentions skin and hair dryness as a symptom, but not any useful solutions other than HRT (Raven is not a fan of the idea of HRT)

http://www.bodyandfitness.com/Inform...h/managing.htm

QUOTED FROM THE SITE:
    Harness help from your honey. The nicest advice may be this: When you have sex on a regular basis, you naturally make more lubrication, says Mary Beard, M.D., an assistant clinical professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Utah Latter Day Saints Hospital in Salt Lake City. Continuing sexual activity is an important help in holding back the thinning and drying effects of menopause on vaginal tissues, she says.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/symptoms.html

This site recommends using a localised estrogen cream for the area, though whether that is internal, external or both I am unclear
    Last edited by RoadRaven; 06-09-2005 at 10:49 AM.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Smile

Hi!

RoadRaven, nice job on the articles!

There's the "chafing" and "sores" some experience.

Some people also have "tenderness" with or without the actual "skin" chafing and/or skin lesions. The "tenderness" can be specifically" located to your "girlies," or not.

There are many ligaments, muscle "insertions," etc. in the general area. Some of the tenderness might be of this type of origin.

For tendons, ligaments, muscle soreness in these and in other areas, docs are often prescribing NSAID topical creams. (DO NOT use these internally!)
    These generally have a prescription strength of an NSAID in them, along with an anesthetic (numbing). This type of a cream needs to be mixed by a "compounding pharmacist." Personally, I use ketoprofen 10% with Bupivacaine 1% in a PLO gel base. This stuff is wonderful! (I cannot take NSAIDS due to a prior history of a GI bleed with these types of drugs. I can, however, use this topical. It is very powerful and does not get into my bloodstream if I adhere to the directions when applying!)

It's a safer way to use NSAID medications. It allows, too, for "targeting" the actual area(s) of inflammation, without "flooding" your entire body with NSAIDS (and their side-effects).

I was very skeptical about the efficacy of using NSAIDS in this manner. I am highly impressed with the effectiveness!

For those who may have chronic muscular spasm and need to use muscle relaxants, these muscle relaxant meds can also be put into a similar cream, which allows for targeting the spastic area, without so many intense side-effects. This might help those who experience chronic neck, shoulder, trapezius spasms while riding, without the sometimes very sedating side-effects of oral medication.

Clearly identify, if you have not, the exact areas and/or originations of the discomfort. If some of it could be muscular, tendons, ligaments, etc., you may want to try one of these topical medications.

Have a great day!
    Have a great ride!
    ~Wishing you inner peace and abundant joy~

For the menopausal folks: I tried the estrogen cream--applied internally. My doctor said it was even safe for someone like me who can't do ERT. It didn't help me much, but it's worth a shot if you're having those hormonal issues. Along those same lines, I tried using that K-jelly stuff that's used for those kinds of purposes. It kept things from rubbing the wrong way, but it was pretty slimy-gooky feeling. I haven't used anything for a long time now. I just make sure I move around alot on the saddle, and get off it as much as I can, too, on longer rides.

Wink

Hi!

For those whose difficulties are clearly menopausal ( or the wonderful "perimenopausal"), there are preparations one can use evey few days. The purpose of these products is to assist with moisture (which will likely help to maintain tissue integrity). These products are used every few days, not every day. One such product is "Replens." It is not a hormonal treament. (These products are ususally sold in the "feminine hygiene" isle of the store!)

Best of luck!
    Have a great Ride!

Wow! Y'all are great with info. I've made a list and will give some of this stuff a try. I'll come back with a "field report!" Thanks soooo much.

A quick update--I wrote down the formula that julbee swears by and went to Rite Aid. They don't have a combining pharmacist there but gave me the name of one in the next town. Anyway, the pharm. at Rite Aid who is a friend of mine said that the combo of ketoprofen 10% and bupivacaine 1% in a PLO gel base (whatever the heck all that means!) would minimize inflamation and sorta numb the area. I also got some of that stuff that is internal containing Vit E and aloe. I'll let y'all know more as time goes on. At least I have a plan!!

Oh, yeah--I almost forgot--I also ordered Chamois Butt'r from Team Estrogen, too!

Smile

Hey there!

Aint doody, I hope your pharmacist friend had let you know if you need a prescription for the "componded" NSAID cream. I live in a state that requires a prescription for this. I've found some docs just don't know the formulation and/or don't realize that topical NSAIDs are available and effective!

There can be a big difference in the price between compounding pharmacists.
    You may want to check a couple of them out!

This "stuff" is also excellent on all joint areas, I find.
    It is a tremendous help with bursitis, etc.

Good Luck!
    Do let us know how it all works out for you!

Julie

<tucking these formulations away in my notebook so I can look em up and use em on perimenopausal patients who complain about saddle pain on the bike>

Thanks for the info!