Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Bike!!!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Congrats on the new bikes!
    I find I'm feeling some of your excitement!

A HUGE yes on Vermont!
    I love it here!
    The Autumn is simply breathtaking!!!!

It's my favorite season!
    This year, I hope to be able to ride some distance by Fall, we'll see!

Just imagine the thrill of the gorgeous scenery AND riding the new bike while taking in the scenery! WOW!!!
    ~Wishing you inner peace and abundant joy~

OT: BVIs are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Surlygirl
    Ohhh The British Virgin Islands. Hubby and I rented a 50 foot sailboat for our honeymoon there and island hopped. It was wonderful. Some year we want to go back and do it again. The Bitter End and all those places.
    Hey cool - that's where we're going. We have a credit at the Bitter End Yacht Club since we'd already paid in advance for our trip and then couldn't take it when I had my accident. I can't wait, though! We went 1.5 years ago for hubby's 50th birthday and stayed at Biras Creek for a week, which was sheer paradise, but we wanted to go to BEYC this time so we could do more sailing. We just took sailing lessons over Christmas so are pretty much novices but want to practice! Did you sail the 50-footer by yourselves? If so, I am very impressed, but even if it was crewed, it sounds glorious and perfect for a honeymoon. I just love the BVIs~

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Well, I've had my first couple of rides and I'm in loooove :-)

My poor Redline, I feel so disloyal to it now. But, the Fuji did help us figure out that I needed to move my seat way forward...so now I'm even doing better on the Redline. And I'm still commuting up hill and over Dave...I mean dale...hehe....on the Redline.

I posted in another thread, I can actually SPIN on this one! And hills...they are so much easier! I can't wait for the weekend to get back on my baby for another spin....

Oh! And I found a female group that I can ride with Sunday mornings. So I'm going to try that this Sunday. I'm nervous, but the average speed is about 12-13mph (including the hills), so I think I should be fine. This is an intermediate group, so I assume I should immediately let them know that I do not know how to draft and whatnot? I'm also going to a clinic on 6/19 to learn how to handle gravel, drafting, proper braking, etc. Can't wait!

And, I agree with ALL the other posts....this website is so incredibly helpful and supportive. Thanks!
    I get to have pizza after this, right? No...wait...cheesecake....

Hey Lynne, glad you're having fun on your new baby. I'm still waiting. Hubby had to call all over the U.S. to try and find a 49 Purple Orbea. Nobody has them. I think he did find one, but he won't tell me.

Emily, when are you going to the BVI? We rented the sailboat and sailed it ourselves. However, Hubby has been sailing since he was a kid. I on the other hand am a beginner. We went in September and as you know that is
    Hurricane season so you have to be careful and pay attention. Its nice to just get up and sail somewhere each day and we usually anchored with other boats at night and people had cook outs and we went to each other's boats for drinks so it was fun. There are plenty of secluded spots too Usually whoever rents the boats to you will question your sailing abilities and skill since they don't want to lose a customer or their boats.

Oh no, Surlygirl! What a bummer...I was looking at the pink one myself...that is the cutest dang bike (ok, and it kicks butt, too...but so cute!)
    I get to have pizza after this, right? No...wait...cheesecake....

*bounce, bouce, bounce*

I got my bike last night! Wheee! Got a Fuji Touring. Turned out to be the only bike I could test ride that was in my price range, but she fits like a glove! Rode her around a bit last night, still getting used to the brake placement, they seem much harder to reach than my hybrids were. I know touring bikes aren't speed demons, but compared to what I had, this thing zips!

Unfortunately it'll be another couple weeks before I can play with it some more since I leave tomorrow morning for Annual Training (Army stuff), but I'll be stylin on my way to Girl Scout camp after that! (And I won't have to worry about my brakes all the time anymore lol)

OT: BVIs and sailing

Emily, when are you going to the BVI? We rented the sailboat and sailed it ourselves. However, Hubby has been sailing since he was a kid. I on the other hand am a beginner. We went in September and as you know that is
    Hurricane season so you have to be careful and pay attention. Its nice to just get up and sail somewhere each day and we usually anchored with other boats at night and people had cook outs and we went to each other's boats for drinks so it was fun. There are plenty of secluded spots too Usually whoever rents the boats to you will question your sailing abilities and skill since they don't want to lose a customer or their boats.
    We're probably going in late November/early December. I would be too scared to risk going during hurricane season, even though prices are best then. The Bitter End Yacht Club has a fleet of over 100 boats that their guests can take out, but it would only be in protected areas and only day sailing, so I think that since my husband and I both have our sailing certifications (even though it is just the beginning level), we'll be fine. Neither of us would be qualified to do what you did (yet), but one reason to go to the BEYC is to gain more experience on smaller boats in a very safe area. I can't wait!

Emily
    Emily

Sounds like fun, I'm jealous. I've been having trouble with Vertigo in recent years sailing. The ground moves for days after I go sailing. Not a pleasant feeling. Every year we talk about going back to the BVI to snorkel and sail with the kids. I remember one place we anchored and there was a barracuda that swam around the boats. He was somewhat tame do to all the boat traffic in the area and I think people fed him. Nice to watch but I didn't want to swim with him.

Sounds like fun, I'm jealous. I've been having trouble with Vertigo in recent years sailing. The ground moves for days after I go sailing. Not a pleasant feeling.
    Oh yes - Barry and I both got this from a week of sailing school! It was especially bad when standing in the shower (sensory deprivation?) Really strange feeling. I don't know that I would want to be a big time sailor or own a boat because of this, but I think I'd enjoy doing it on vacation. I can't wait!

Emily
    Emily

I find the Vertigo most disturbing when I'm standing on a twenty foot granite pier in Maine and it feels like its moving. And I KNOW its not moving. It never happened to me until I hit 40 and then everything changes I guess.