Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

For those who work or live near a campus

To disable ads, please log-in.

photoshop??

I work on the campus of an art school and I want one that says:

Warning - frequent public display of questionable fashion trends!

And

Nihilistic paint-covered undergrads on fixies!
    I can do five more miles.

Quote Originally Posted by indigoiis View Post
    I work on the campus of an art school and I want one that says:

Warning - frequent public display of questionable fashion trends!

And

Nihilistic paint-covered undergrads on fixies!
    fixies? I have one for you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fixie.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	8697  

Those signs are perfect!!

yup photoshop... that is from the comic strip PhD or Piled Higher and Deeper... it was started by a couple of Stanford grad students in the late 90s and is a staple at Stanford and at a lot of universities around the world now. The second photo is from Stanford, and that corner was known as "death corner" as it was a very major intersection on campus (no cars here, just people walking, biking or skate boarding) and has no control to it at all.... I have seen many accidents and near misses.

for any of you who are in grad school, or have been to grad school and haven't read the Piled Higher and Deeper comics, I would highly recommend them... really funny and so true :-) http://www.phdcomics.com/
    Support me in my fight against MS!
    http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Ellen.Mallman

I'm a full time student and I have noticed in the last year the single speed trend. What the heck! Who said that 'look' was cool? It offends me when I roll up on my fender laden honey while sporting my egg beaters, spandex and yes....a HELMET. I ride but I'm not 'that' cool (tons of sarcasm here). Not really offended just highly entertained by it. I think the fact that bikes are becoming cool again has boosted member of our cycling team though. So there's an upside to it.

campus

I certainly didn't see any of those types of signs on Curtin Uni's campus! When I went to register/pay etc, I noticed a lack of bike storage facilites accross campus. There are bike racks but not as many as i think there should be

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    I certainly didn't see any of those types of signs on Curtin Uni's campus! When I went to register/pay etc, I noticed a lack of bike storage facilites accross campus. There are bike racks but not as many as i think there should be

I would be totally impressed if in any Canadian university campus had large, secured bike storage areas for students. (Not faculty who might have the luxury of hiding bike in office..).

It's been ages since I've gone to university..and maybe there's maybe alot of change in this area. However when I lived in Toronto, every time every few months, I went to University of Toronto downtown campus area for meetings, do research or get my haircut (I had a good deal going there at the salon), I often worried my bike would still be there when I returned.

Wonder what the amount of bike theft there is on campuses these days. Or maybe it's a semi-myth?? I'm always amazed the number of poor (at least they seemed to be to me) students living away from home, driving cars...costs enough money to run a car... I'm speaking as someone who went to 2 different universities as a full-time student, in cities that had good public transit systems to the campuses.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    I would be totally impressed if in any Canadian university campus had large, secured bike storage areas for students. (Not faculty who might have the luxury of hiding bike in office..).
    Wouldn't mass - even "secured" - storage defeat its own purpose? For example there are very big bike cages at the UBC Hospital, but one is known to be unsafe because who-knows-who who has a key seems to have friends in the wrong business.

At UBC currently I don't think there are poor students driving to campus. It's way too expensive to park. And now every student has a UPass (very cheap transit) which has increased the ridership on the buses that lead to campus to very high level. There are a few individual bike lockers that one can rent, and many buildings have arranged indoor parking somewhere for grad students and staff. It's hard to sneak bikes in offices in big buildings, the firefighters are quite strict about that.

On the outdoor racks, bikes that are not properly secured will be lifted almost instantly. Lots of students - especially those who live on campus and don't depend on their bike for transportation - are quite careless, locking only their front wheel for example. There are plenty of those bikes to steal.

Still, parking at high-traffic bike racks makes me nervous. I try to leave my bike in less busy areas.

nope

Curtin doesn't have an enclosed bike lock up facility nor does ECU (another uni north of the river). I'm going to carry two locks & take my front wheel with me for when I do lock my bike up.

I have a commuter bike specifically for uni & will be covering it with bicycle stickers so it looks less appealling.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    Wouldn't mass - even "secured" - storage defeat its own purpose? For example there are very big bike cages at the UBC Hospital, but one is known to be unsafe because who-knows-who who has a key seems to have friends in the wrong business.
    Sad. I was referring to caged bike areas that had post and ring bike stands also installed inside to lock up bike also. Nothing is 100% assured but double-locking ( bike cage plus individual lock up of bike inside cage).

Just as long one doesn't leave expensive bike accessories that are easily slidable/removable.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Sad. I was referring to caged bike areas that had post and ring bike stands also installed inside to lock up bike also. Nothing is 100% assured but double-locking ( bike cage plus individual lock up of bike inside cage).
    They have a bunch of those. I think they go for $30 a year or something, which is pretty reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Curtin doesn't have an enclosed bike lock up facility nor does ECU (another uni north of the river). I'm going to carry two locks & take my front wheel with me for when I do lock my bike up.

I have a commuter bike specifically for uni & will be covering it with bicycle stickers so it looks less appealling.
    Why not get non-quick release skewers for your wheels? I have skewers on my commuter that I have to undo with a hex wrench, which I have in my saddle bag anyway. Doesn't take much longer than the QR, really. And I have a hard time imagining a thief taking the trouble to take a hex wrench out when there are all these QR bikes around...

I'm thinking about getting that even for my road bike so I can quit worrying about someone leaving with my wheels.

hmm

I'll ask at a couple of bike shops for the non qr skewers. Hopefully someone in Perth will have some.