Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

thanks, that looks like fun but I don't think I will be around for it- I am heading out to medical school!
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

What, GU not good enough for you?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

haha no.

Too bad for you. You could have had me as one of your experimental patients

no no, good for you. plus this is good because I get to see another city.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    But... I put flame stickers on it. Now I will go fast on it.
    I guess you went a little too fast, huh?
    Better take those decals off

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    I guess you went a little too fast, huh?
    Better take those decals off
    I went down and had the bike on top of me before I even knew what happened.

The BF said "You weren't clipped in, why didn't you just put your foot down and not fall?"

Apparently, the answer is because of the flames, the bike falls too fast.

Apparently, the answer is because of the flames, the bike falls too fast.
    !!!!! L O L !!!!!

Thanks! I NEEDED that. Too funny!

I'm guessing that was a spammer, but since I got a reminder for this thread, this is what the bike's at now... I just put simple grips on & the different sized front tire on it. I'll deal with fenders & different handlebars later. I'm debating between the hammered honjo fenders on velo orange or the soma ones... Or making wood ones eventually. I could get the VO milan or tourist bars to share shipping if I got the honjos, or the soma whatevers to share shipping if I get the soma fenders.

But I'll just ride the bike for now

Catriona-
    Are those panaracer t-serv tires? What size? Do you like them? are they comfy? thanks for any input!
    ...never met a bike that I didn't wanna ride.

They are panaracer t-servs - the front one is the new style 700x28 which I think is a little thinner from the old style t-serv 700x28 that's on the back.

I do like the tires - but I can't say that I've really tested them out in a huge variety of conditions - they've been on dirt and over potholes without any difficulties. They are comfortable, and other than mountain bikes, they're the only thing I've used other than 700x23 tires on my road bikes, so I'm not the most experienced person with tires to give you an opinion.

They do have fairly good reviews which is why I bought them.

*growl*

So a month or two ago, I fell on the surly and bent in the rear rim, requiring buying it burly wheels... So I got some 36 spoke rims laced onto shimano XT hubs...

And yesterday, it was bright and sunny when I was biking home to get lunch... and since the weather's been raining non stop lately and was supposed to start raining again in the afternoon, I decided I was going to ride the perimeter trail around base.. 'cause I'd heard there was a paved fitness path around and had never actually tried it...

So I bike along, scare the hell out of some poor women walking (I came up beside them on the grass ... I'd shifted gears coming up so I'm not sure how they didn't hear me, but one woman screamed and jumped to the other side of the path,hugging her friend.... and seriously, I was like 3 feet from her)

And I have a nice ride on the path, and at some point the path ends and I'm riding along the road... a car is coming up behind me and there's a grate in the road in front of me, so I decide to just ride over the grate & not swerve out to avoid it because of the car...

What I don't realize or didn't catch was that the stupid grate had it's rails perpendicular to the road, not horizontal and the spacing between the grating was bigger than my tires...

So I ride over it and the bike drops down, there's a massive kerchunk and my wrists were not happy with the impact they're absorbing... but I get over the grate, don't fall, and it takes me a second to realize what happened...

So I keep biking and I start feeling a rhythmic feel when I use the rear brake, much like it did when I dented the last rim inwards....

And I'm thinking there is no way that I've wrecked another stupid wheel... It must just be out of true.

But I looked at it more closely today, at one spot in the rim, it bows out on both sides.

I'm hoping I can maybe put a clamp on the rim and get it flat... maybe sand it a bit if I have to and get it true afterwards...

I'm not sure the surly, rear wheels, and I get along.

I'm beginning to wonder about you...I do hope your wrists are ok, though.

It's the flames I tell you!

I took a lot of ibuprofen... managed to get out for a ride today & took my carbon road bike which is my most wrist friendly. The right one's angry at me, but not too badly.

I think I just gotta start treating the surly like the rest of my road bikes, where I'm too chicken to ride them over anything.

The bf told me I need to get some bike handling skills. Apparently, I should have hopped over the grate.

Or been smart enough to realize that it was a parallel grate (I've never seen a grate parallel to the road, so I didn't even think...)

It I can't get it flat, I guess I'll just buy a new rim and learn how to change a rim. I should lay in a little stockpile at this rate.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Ouch.
    You're lucky you didn't crash. Parallel grates can be beyond hazardous to a cyclist.
    I totalled a rim on the rear wheel of my old Seven on a parallel grate. It pinched the rim in on the tube (and popped two before I realized it! ). I had to replace the rim and get new spokes (I think). A big P.I.A., but fortunately, I didn't crash.
    STAY AWAY from those danged things. Take the lane if you must.
    Glad you are unhurt.

Ah well... now I know to look out for those things. I very sensibly swerved to avoid the one that was about 100 feet after the first.

In retrospect I'm surprised I managed to bike over it at all... And I'm glad it was on the surly 'cause I woulda cried if I did it on my other bikes, I'd expect they'd not have done as well.

I'm going to call the base provost and find out who to complain to about those 2 grates... Because that is pretty retarded and if that's their fitness circuit they should really make it non-hazardous to cyclists.

the spokes looked fine - the rim's kinda bowed out on either side probably in an area that's less than a finger across.. I'm hoping that if I cut a piece of wood to fit in the rim, and then put a flat piece of wood or aluminum across either side of it, I can put a clamp across it and bend them inwards & flat.

I'm not thrilled at the idea of buying another new rim for it now, but I probably will eventually end up doing that. either way, it sounds like I got off lighter than you did with your seven - I hope you weren't hurt.