Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey, MD - just wanted to give you the heads up that your hill climb issues may not show up in standard indoor asthma testing. Even though my fitness is quite high when spinning indoors - and the tech said I set a new high on the pulmonary test machine at the clinic - I have never been able to get enough air on even smallish hills. My old doc wasn't very active herself- or very sympathetic. Experienced cyclists who ride with me always said "asthma?" when they heard me wheeze and cough on hills. Old doc said it wasn't exercise-induced asthma if I could train so hard indoors. New doc (a runner) said, "oh you have exercise-induced asthma, use the inhaler all the time, no worries." For me, it's a combo of the hill climbs and sucking in those outdoor allergens.
    Most importantly, ride to enjoy, keep at it, and you will improve. You can learn to relax and recover a little even while climbing- I'm working on that, and it's helping a lot. A heart-rate monitor can help you with that.
    Good luck! Lynda Gene

Quote Originally Posted by latelatebloomer View Post
    Hey, MD - just wanted to give you the heads up that your hill climb issues may not show up in standard indoor asthma testing. Even though my fitness is quite high when spinning indoors - and the tech said I set a new high on the pulmonary test machine at the clinic - I have never been able to get enough air on even smallish hills. My old doc wasn't very active herself- or very sympathetic. Experienced cyclists who ride with me always said "asthma?" when they heard me wheeze and cough on hills. Old doc said it wasn't exercise-induced asthma if I could train so hard indoors. New doc (a runner) said, "oh you have exercise-induced asthma, use the inhaler all the time, no worries." For me, it's a combo of the hill climbs and sucking in those outdoor allergens.
    Most importantly, ride to enjoy, keep at it, and you will improve. You can learn to relax and recover a little even while climbing- I'm working on that, and it's helping a lot. A heart-rate monitor can help you with that.
    Good luck! Lynda Gene
    Good to note.

With all of ya'lls horrible asthma stories I'll be sure to try to get a sympathetic athlete for a doc if/when I go that route. That shouldn't be too difficult in Boulder if my insurance company will cooperate.

Moved from sea level to Boulder back in August. so basically 6 month. You would be acclaimated to the altitude for daily easy activity. but for aerobic sports like cycling and up a hill... whew. it will take a while longer. I normally train at sea level and I used to take like a one/two week trips into the sierras or into the rockies to train. My resting heart rate at altitude was gosh want to say like 20% higher?? and my power output was non-existent. You are working lot harder than you think!!

Give a pat on your back and you are just doing fine (provided its not asthma) Being able to climb at higher elevation is a feat in itself. Lunacycle can attest to that I'm sure. She said she was from Boulder area.

And learn to spin, learn to use your calf, ham string, glutes... Your quads will love you for it.

smilingcat

Exercise Induced Asthma?

Try to read up on it - might be your case:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/exerc...article_em.htm

Martina
    Czech Chicks Rule !

I have the same problem, and yes, to some extent it is asthma in my case. But there's also a just-plain-out-of-shape aspect and a psychological aspect, and that last one also relates to a breathing technique aspect. The psychological thing is that when I "know" (anticipate, think) I'm doing something that's going to be tough, I tighten up my abs and almost hold my breath. One answer to that is to concentrate on breathing OUT. Blow out actively and in will take care of itself, especially if you manage to relax your abs a bit, and your shoulders, and just about every part of your body except your legs -- they're the only bits that really need to work hard. I can't say if this is really going to work for me. It's too snowy and icy outside. But I've been practicing thinking this way in the gym (spin class) and when walking hills and it seems to be working there.
    Last edited by Duck on Wheels; 02-17-2009 at 12:01 AM.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Quote Originally Posted by MartianDestiny View Post
    Good to note.

With all of ya'lls horrible asthma stories I'll be sure to try to get a sympathetic athlete for a doc if/when I go that route. That shouldn't be too difficult in Boulder if my insurance company will cooperate.

In reference to my post earlier regarding asthma...
    The cost of DD's pediatric intensive care unit hospital bill was mind blowing. The insurance company's IME would rather pay for disease management, vs acute care. Every insurance company we have had since our dx has it's own disease management unit team that we get specific mailers/info etc. to aid in our asthma action plan. FWIW... things might work out better than you think.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck on Wheels View Post
    I have the same problem, and yes, to some extent it is asthma in my case. But there's also a just-plain-out-of-shape aspect and a psychological aspect, and that last one also relates to a breathing technique aspect. The psychological thing is that when I "know" (anticipate, think) I'm doing something that's going to be tough, I tighten up my abs and almost hold my breath. One answer to that is to concentrate on breathing OUT. Blow out actively and in will take care of itself, especially if you manage to relax your abs a bit, and your shoulders, and just about every part of your body except your legs -- they're the only bits that really need to work hard. I can't say if this is really going to work for me. It's too snowy and icy outside. But I've been practicing thinking this way in the gym (spin class) and when walking hills and it seems to be working there.
    Thanks, Duck. This will help me on my Arizona trip in a couple of weeks (I am so totally unprepared!)

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck on Wheels View Post
    I agree. When I don't pay attention going up a hard hill, I find my breathing reverts to short breaths in synch with my pedal strokes. BAD! I consciously change to deeper slower breathes and make sure I am fully exhaling. But the really important part for me is to do my 'waist-up zen' routine. I let my legs do their work and I envision my body from the waist up just relaxing and being in some yoga meditation class or something. I relax as much as I can from the waist up. When I tense my arms or shoulders, I immediately feel like i need more oxygen- it's weird but true. I envision myself as a little tern flying and floating over the ocean waves effortlessly. Relaxing and breathing slowly and deeply really does help.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, the commute hill this morning seemed to go better than normal! Maybe I'm just wishing it so or maybe it actually was? Either way I'm happy

Dropped a gear (to the middle ring on my bike), psyched myself up, and went for it. Today I had a "rabbit" and my goal was to keep up with him, and it worked! Granted he wasn't a cyclist, but he seemed in fairly good shape and wasn't on a huffy BSO (bike shaped object) so I'm happy.

I've been attempting to relax my upper body which is very good advice (thanks for the reminder) ; I just need to get better at it. My shoulders always tense and hurt going up the hill on my commute; I think that's a function of my pack. On actual rides my goal is to get rid of the "lance hump" I've discovered I have which is actually closing my diaphragm off to some extent. New bike might help with that since it's a hair longer as will ditching my camelbak for some bottle cages (I am a mtn biker after all)

I think a lot of it is psychological. A LOT. As Redrhodie said, shifting your focus off your speed and onto technique or (is it possible?) enjoyment of the task works wonders. After first doing a little stand and climb, I shift down to a spinnier gear, look at my front wheel, and start counting breaths. Often a song will come into my head, or I'll let my thoughts wander. I don't look at the other riders. A guy might hammer by me but by the top, because I'm not pooped, I can often pass other riders who were kicking butt at the bottom.

Slow and steady. Relax your shoulders. Move a little forward. Sing a song. Recite the alpahabet. Count your breaths. Ease up a bit. You'll find it much easier to breathe!

(p.s. this is all stuff I learned right here on TE!
    I can do five more miles.

I am also a masher not a spinner, but I noticed that you put yourself in an easier gear this morning and maybe that helped too? The fact is, if you use your granny gear for the big hills, you're not using as much power per stroke to put yourself over the hill and it might make the difference between running out of air and not.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Hills! I recently moved froms coastal SC back to the Bay Area and have negative experience on hills. Last night it was sunny enough to sneak in a couple miles in after work. I tackled a short and steep hill near my home only to find that 1/2way up, I actually had to stop and walk it up.

It came in part I think from lack of experience with my gears (I'm working on that) and a recent 'clipless tip'. I'm still a little spooked, and when I saw that I was climbing the hill at 3 mph kind of panicked, thinking that I would soon stop, clipped in and fall again.

Nevertheless, the hill is ny new nemisis. I will conquer thee!
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

I often find that I could walk up a hill faster than I am riding it. I haven't tipped over yet.

One thing I've noticed is that I speed up a bit if I focus on pedaling full circles, so I'm pulling up between 6:00 and 12:00 in addition to pushing with the other leg from 12 down to 6.

Quote Originally Posted by MartianDestiny View Post
    Dropped a gear (to the middle ring on my bike),
    Oh good grief, you were trying to climb in the big ring? No wonder you weren't going anywhere.

Sounds like a cadence monitor would be a good investment for you. Unless you're in your bottom gear and have no choice, you really want to be above 55-60 rpm on the hills to spare your knees.

Among other things, if you're mashing the gears you're likely not pedaling very smoothly, so you are at a bit greater risk of tipping over when you get below 3 mph or so.

NY Biker, I've heard people say that before, but not while they were walking up said hill. Your walking speed declines on a steep grade, as well...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Oh good grief, you were trying to climb in the big ring? No wonder you weren't going anywhere.

Sounds like a cadence monitor would be a good investment for you. Unless you're in your bottom gear and have no choice, you really want to be above 55-60 rpm on the hills to spare your knees.

Among other things, if you're mashing the gears you're likely not pedaling very smoothly, so you are at a bit greater risk of tipping over when you get below 3 mph or so.

NY Biker, I've heard people say that before, but not while they were walking up said hill. Your walking speed declines on a steep grade, as well...
    O DEAR NO! I've never tried to conquer that hill in the big ring!!! Wasn't long ago I was dropping all the way down to true granny (bike is a triple).

I've started to work some single leg pedaling drills while out with my roommate (who likes to ride her comfort bike around town) and it's definitely helping my spin (not sure how she feels about me keeping up with her one-legged though! ). I'll keep up with that; just got to find a way to do it and not scratch up my top-tube...poor Yeti

I couldn't stand it anymore though and went and picked up my new toy. I've only taken it up the baby commute hill thus far (not the big one), but darn was the difference impressive; I just sailed right on up like it was nothing. I can't wait to try it out on some real rides this weekend. Watch, it will have all been a bike/fit issue (yea, right! "It's not about the bike").