Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Some Couples...the Illustrated Valentine's Day Fitting Report

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm exhausted...but the day went great!

We left for St. Louis at about 8:30 for the 180 mile drive. I tried something different since we weren't in a rush...I went the speed limit (and was passed by every single car on the interstate - except two trucks, but they were OLD trucks).

Going the speed limit gave me a chance to savor the boring and FLAT countryside of Southern Illinois (and to hear the pitter-pat of Silver's heart (when she wasn't on the cell phone talking to her mom for an hour)

But alas, what is that in the distance?
    Yippee! Where're there!

We arrived 1.5 hours early and caught some lunch at Chipotle where we had the friendliest servers around. Next door was the old Tivoli Theatre where they announced that ...there was LOVE IN THE LOOP!

Our trip was spent in an artsy area of St. Louis called THE LOOP on Delmar. Since we still had time, we went to Plowshare Crafts where we were greeted by the resident humane society adopted pooch - Buddy - who had some evident personality:

That's an AUBURN kerchief on his neck...which we chastised the owner for...fearing that it might make him choke!

Silver looked at Jewelry:

...but bought a wackey jacket that is "so her"

THEN...drum roll please...BIG SHARK BICYCLE COMPANY!

We arrived a bit early giving us time to unload. When Dirk, the chief fitter, arrived, we were ready to go. For three hours, we were doted over by 4 staff members - including bagels, powerdrinks, etc...unfortunately, they didn't have Silver's desired model in her size, so they fit her on the Cervelo P3...RISKY...that's a $4,500 bike she's looking at!!!

Meanwhile, I'm over -sporting my winter weight gain- on my Madone.

After three hours on the saddle, we had a romantic dinner for three (with a friend of ours) at the [Now] world famous Blueberry Hill (which wasn't smoke free)

Then the drive home...I was exhausted, so Silver drove the last half...and as we got close, she went to CVS while I relaxed in the car:

So, summary for the day:
    • Silver ordered a new Cervelo P2 (as she reports on the Triathlon forum) and got tweaks on her Madone fit
    • Mr. Silver got seriously needed adjustments:

• raising the seat, and pushing it back
    • flipping the stem
    • getting jammer bars, and
    • getting a much needed new fiz'i:k saddle (along with integrated light and saddle pack)
    • We spent the entire day together from sunrise to sunset and had a blast!
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Sooooooo cool mr silver!! Sounds like the perfect day! And tell Silver congrats on the new ride. sweet!!

That was fun, thanks for sharing the ride with us!

And not ALL of southern Illinois is flat as a pancake. My grandparents lived in Johnson County, and it was hilly!
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by bmccasland View Post
    And not ALL of southern Illinois is flat as a pancake. My grandparents lived in Johnson County, and it was hilly!
    Yep, been there, done that...my absolutely weakest ride of last year was over there

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=7117499

And just down the road (Big Bend) you could have checked out Mesa and Maplewood bikes. The loop's pretty cool though, and so is Big Shark.
    As for smoke free, yeah, no. Unfortunately, it's still hard to find that around here.
    Did you also get a chance to check out the St. Louis Zoo, Science Center and Art Museum in Forest Park? All free free free!
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

That looks like an awesome trip. Hate the travel part, of course. But at least it was safe. Hope the new fits work out well. Thx for sharing.

Off to check out Silver's Cervelo story in Tri now...

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Great seeing the mini-album of your adventure. Sounds like so much exciting fun, and what a wonderful way to spend Valentine's Day!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow, you're bringing back some memories! I went to Washington University in St. Louis 30 years ago, and we spent a lot of time at Blueberry Hill and in the Delmar area. My memories are hazy, but slowly coming back as I look at a map of the area.

Glad the fittings went well...
    Last edited by divingbiker; 02-15-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: remembered just how long it's been since I was in college--aack!

Yes, the loop is great. I've also taken some maintenance classes at Big Shark. What I don't understand is the fact that you are crossing the river and there is no traffic on the bridge around you? Not sure I've ever seen that before.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    What an enjoyable trip and thanks so much for taking us there.

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    What I don't understand is the fact that you are crossing the river and there is no traffic on the bridge around you? Not sure I've ever seen that before.
    Hmmm, I've never had a problem (in my five trips to St. Louis...)

I just love road trips like that. Thanks for sharing.