Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

If I can get Tuesday off, I might ride from home to Sunol and up Calaveras Rd and find a place to hang out there, perhaps either at the top of the false summit or, if I can get there in time, the top of the wall.

At least the bald eagle will have a good vantage point.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Stage 1; any suggestions, advice tips for the best place to snap pictures? Spazzdog has never seen Sonoma County. Going to the TT sounds good but so does finding the perfect scenic spot.
    If the weather is OK, there's a group I'm riding with from Vacaville up to the first KOM, the one on 128 just west of Winters. The other KOMs that day *might* be easier to drive closer to, but just know that they often close off the roads to traffic really early.
    http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com...stage1-map.pdf

KOMs are great, especially the ones later in the day, as the boys will be spread out, going slower, and have that gritty determination look on the face. Sprint points are typically not much, as the whole thing is over in 30 seconds. ITTs are fun, 'cause you can watch 'em one at a time.

and BikeMomma, thanks so much for the offer, but I'm ok on crashspace in Merced (I will take any restaurant recommendations for the evening tho)! Haven't decided where I'm gunna end up watching that day yet. And if this SNOW thing continues (they required chains on Palomar a few days ago!) then I may hunker down at a finish line coffee shop until the boys arrive.

-- gnat!

DH and I are going to be hanging out at the start of the stage in Merced. But we're heading north and the rider are going south so that's all we get to see. Still better than nothing. I have a question for you Amgen veterans. Would it be impossible to get around and drool at the teams if we had our bikes with us? Our hotel is a couple of miles from the start and I would rather ride my bike there than drive the car. bikerHen

If I remember properly from last year the stages had bike valet. We went to two (Prologue and Santa Rosa) but I think they all had something?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by MM_QFC! View Post
    We'll be flying into SR tomorrow...
    Mary
    which means you're flying in today I'm trying to find out if my Santa Rosa cyclist cousin Maury will be around on Sunday too.

This just in, he will be working at the exhibition in the city center. His employer, Lowepro donated $10k last year when the city fell short on sponsorship funding they helped put them over the top. So they get to display their wares. If you're at the fair and see the Lowepro booth stop by and thank them and ask "which one of you is Duck and Trek's cousin?"
    Last edited by Trek420; 02-12-2009 at 01:04 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    which means you're flying in today I'm trying to find out if my Santa Rosa cyclist cousin Maury will be around on Sunday too.

This just in, he will be working at the exhibition in the city center. His employer, Lowepro donated $10k last year when the city fell short on sponsorship funding they helped put them over the top. So they get to display their wares. If you're at the fair and see the Lowepro booth stop by and thank them and ask "which one of you is Duck and Trek's cousin?"

nope, since I posted that early today (Today, 07:48 AM ), I still mean that we're flying to SR tomorrow...
    also, did you know our joint employer is a sponsor in Modesto?

Quote Originally Posted by bikerHen View Post
    I have a question for you Amgen veterans. Would it be impossible to get around and drool at the teams if we had our bikes with us? Our hotel is a couple of miles from the start and I would rather ride my bike there than drive the car. bikerHen
    I bet BikeMomma would know the answer to that!

But the Amgen start / finishes I've been to (granted, not all that many) all have had secure bike parking. It's definitely the way to go.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by MM_QFC! View Post
    you know our joint employer is a sponsor in Modesto?
    No, but that makes me feel sooooooo much better that we're not getting a profit share bonus this year. doesn't it?
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

I'll be in Sac at the Prologue. A friend scored us passes to the Amgen VIP tent...yippee....I've never been to a race before. I can't wait to see all the bikes and pros. Lots of folks have reported seeing some of the teams training out on the American River Bike Trail this week and out along the Sacramento River as well.

If you come to Sac, it might be raining, so dress appropriately. The weather guy just said it will rain tonight and tomorrow night. There looks to be a small gap which may coincide with race time, 1:30-4. And the temp is cold, at least cold for here......in the mid to upper 40's early and 50-ish in the afternoon. Had hail here earlier today as well.

The camera batteries are charging and the back pack and VIP pass are all next to the door ready to go out tomorrow. Almost forgot, if you're coming, arrive downtown early because parking will be a total pain. Someone posted the link for sacbee.com, the local paper, and it does have a lot of really good info on the route, restaurants, parking, and events.

See ya!
    nanc
    Ride your ride.

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    I bet BikeMomma would know the answer to that!

But the Amgen start / finishes I've been to (granted, not all that many) all have had secure bike parking. It's definitely the way to go.
    Why yes - yes I do!

Gnat and bH -- you asked about Merced Restaurants. Here is a link to a whole bunch of them, sorted by type: Merced Restaurants.

As for personal recommendations close to the racecourse, there's:
    Steak & Seafood:
    Fernando's, 510 W Main St
    The Branding Iron (if you want a good steak), 640 W 16th St
    Asian:
    King's Asian Sushi Cuisine, 360 W Main St
    Nagami Japanese Restaurant, 2650 W 16th St
    Pine Cone Mongolian Grill (all you can eat and GOOD!), 1277 V St
    Pasta:
    DeAngelo's, 350 W Main St
    There's a much better pasta place in North Merced...Strings, 731 E Yosemite Ave...will take some driving, but worth it.
    Mex:
    J & R Taco's, 437 W Main (very good, I eat there often)
    Trevino's, 408 W Main St (on the local historic buildings list)
    Indian:
    Taste of Little India, 1052 W Main St (VERY good)
    Sandwiches:
    Subway and Quizno's are on the 400 block of W. Main St, and there is Limey's Lunchbox at 709 W. Main St.

...and to cap off a good meal - how could I not include it - is Starbucks at 425 W Main St.

Geez, can you tell I'm hungry??!

As for bike parking, I understand that they will be bringing in several rows of racks for the Fun Ride in connection with our Lifestyle Festival (yes, we're a start city but we're having one anyway). I believe the racks will be located at the corner of W. Main and N Streets. There are also a few racks in front of the Civic Center at W. 18th & N Sts. There are also some on the first level just inside the entrance of the Shannon Parcade parking structure at the corner of W. 18th & M (next to Civic Center).

Have fun you guys!
    ~BikeMomma
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

We just figured it out- going to Sausalito on Monday for the start of stage 2!
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

The women's crit was amazing, inspiring. The speeds, the concentration, the crashes here at the start one rider says "wait for me!"
    Last edited by Trek420; 02-11-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

bikerHen, did you see anything? I hadn't followed this thread and didn't ask you when I saw you in Palm Springs.
    Tis better to wear out than to rust out....

Cold and wet on Howell Mtn, but we had a camper trailer and a rain tent, so it could have been worse. And... I got someone's Astana bottle out of the peloton - full of the power bar sun tea flavor drink. I'm going to just assume it was Lance's because he was on the front.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Did they catch the guy who stole his bike?

Meanwhile back in Santa Rosa .... and they're off!!
    Last edited by Trek420; 02-11-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton