Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Amgen, who's going and where?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Spazzdog and I plan to zip on up to Santa Rosa to catch a bit of stage one.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

We'll be at the Solvang Time Trial - Hoping to get close to behind the starting gate to see the riders as they get ready to roll! tokie

Stages 3, 4, & maybe start of 5

One of the gals I ride/race with (Charlotte Hart) has been picked up by Vanderkitten this year, so I "might" go up to Santa Rosa to watch the ladies' race for Stage 1. She won't be racing, as the team, like the whole nation, is feeling the economic downturn, and they're only sending their "top dawgs" to the start line. But she'll be going to support her team, and it might be fun to tag along & hang out with another couple going up there.

I'm planning to make a family day of Stage 3 (San Jose to Modesto) -- drive the family to SJ, watch the start, maybe grab some eats, then drive to Mo-town for the finish, home for dinner in Atwater. Should be a fun day and an education for the rest of the Nutt clan.

Stage 4 on Wednesday starts in Merced -- my doorstep. As I work for the City, I've been heavily involved in organizing, especially regarding the volunteers. The rest of the committee knows, however, that at 9:30am when the teams start arriving, I turn into a fan and I'm no longer an employee (kindof the opposite of Cinderella) -- I'm outta there. After the start from Merced, a group of us plan to hop into cars to take the back roads to beat the race to Guadalupe Grade for the chance to be crazed mountain-top fans (we're threatening to run in bikinis with full bike tan blaring -- no devil suits or thongs, however). Those are our weekend hill ride stompin' grounds, after all. Our hope is to beat the race to Clovis to catch the finish, but we're still not sure we can. We may get stuck behind the race caravan, and then it would have to be a speed contest on beating the race to Clovis from a side road. A team/club member lives in Clovis, so it's there for dinner, then a late night drive home.

I have the day off for Stage 5 to watch the start in Visalia, but I may be sortof tired of it by then with all the driving & all, so I might just kick back at home -- or go for my own ride -- or go to work, depending on my workload next week.

So, at least two, possibly even four, days of TofC bliss in store.
    ~BikeMomma
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

I wish there was a crying smilie! Last year this was the best birthday present and vacation of my life. But this year with the economy being bad our family couldn't give us money for tickets this year for Christmas and we COMPLETELY got that so the DVR is set for the show. I am so glad my dad gave us his old HDTV last year so I can see it in huge, glorious color. Hopefully VS will have it in HD, they are spotty on that.

Maybe next year we will go but dang can they top this field?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Hey BikeMomma - if you make it to the women's crit, look for the lone gal in teal and chartreuse and yell "Go Jadine" at her once or twice for me . I certainly won't be able to make it down there, but I have a teammate who had such a fun time last year (she was 8th!) that she's coming back.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Thumbs up Check out the women's race!

The women's crit was fun to watch last year! DH and I stumbled into some pizza shop in Santa Rosa, grabbed a slice and sat and watched the wiz by. We kind of did a fly by the seat of your pants vacation (meaning I was too lazy to plan and he doesn't) and had no clue it was happening.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I'm driving the whole thing again, third year running!

So far, my only set plan is to be at Tunitas KOM. I had my heart set on Palomar until I saw all the snow (!) that was up there two days ago.

But, I'll be about; look for the chick with pink hair in a princess crown!

-- gnat! (this may be a miserable trip idea, standing out in the rain for a week... we'll see!)

The idea of taking Amtrak to Davis just occured to me; Not sure if bf will spend valentine's day that way, but if I present it just right...
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

Stage 1; any suggestions, advice tips for the best place to snap pictures? Spazzdog has never seen Sonoma County. Going to the TT sounds good but so does finding the perfect scenic spot.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Spazzdog and I plan to zip on up to Santa Rosa to catch a bit of stage one.

Hey Trek - I'm heading back there again (DGF too)...we'll be staying in SR area, but heading over to watch the Prologue (ITT) in Sacto; then following Stage 1 on Sun (in Davis before start, leap-frogging peloton to get to see one of the KOMs...then we might catch a little of the finish line festival stuff in SR - if not, we can meet up there anyway...
    Mary

I'm confused about the route, the finish in SR is on Saturday, right? If we wanted to head to the hills do you know where that will be?

Duh, there is probably a map.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton

The Santa Rosa finish is Sunday.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by gnat23 View Post
    I'm driving the whole thing again, third year running!
    Gnat, where are you staying for Stage 4 (Wednesday) and are you watching the start or driving straight to Clovis? If you're stuck for a place to crash in Merced and don't mind my kids (three) & dog (big tongue, dangerous tail), you're welcome to stay with us. We live in Atwater, 15 minute drive to the start line at City Hall/Merced. The only thing is, I'll be leaving the house pretty early to help check in our volunteers.

The early forecast is calling for a storm to come in Wednesday....which means possibly SNOW for Stage 4 if the levels are low enough, probably icy roads. Fun!

Eden - I'll be sure to look for Jadine. My yelling voice is lacking right now, since I've been sick, but we'll see.

~BikeMomma
    Last edited by BikeMomma; 02-12-2009 at 12:34 AM.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    The Santa Rosa finish is Sunday.
    Oh, silly me.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    N+1 bike ~ Brompton

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    I'm confused about the route, the finish in SR is on Saturday, right? If we wanted to head to the hills do you know where that will be?

Duh, there is probably a map.
    I see that you already learned the Stage 1 is on Sunday (Saturday is the prologue/ITT all in dt Sacramento)...Sunday is Davis > SR. I have more detailed route info...can either PM or call me, ok?

We'll be flying into SR tomorrow...
    Mary