Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone have a good resource for hip stretches/exercises? My hips are really sore today. I am not ready to give up the half marathon dream but my body is protesting. Sometimes I wish I could blame age but I turn 28 Tuesday, I am a kid compared to a lot of marathoners I know!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Noodle around on here, I have found this very helpful.

http://www.runnersworld.com/video/0,...-1-0-5,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Anyone have a good resource for hip stretches/exercises? My hips are really sore today. I am not ready to give up the half marathon dream but my body is protesting. Sometimes I wish I could blame age but I turn 28 Tuesday, I am a kid compared to a lot of marathoners I know!
    I have to do hip stretches too!

I see a chiropractor who specializes in runners.....he keeps my hips right, and gives me stretches every time. I also roll on a roller thing all of the time.
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

I am dead! Today I ran a slow easy 6 miles just to recover and than had a house full of family to celebrate DH 48 BDay. I just finished cleaning up and put on loungy clothes! Yummy dinner and homemade cheesecake to die for! My legs feel fatigued and I am sooooooo tired after yesterdays long run and todays run.

Hope everyones week is blessed!
    Anita "Shiraz"

thanks R&R girl! that is a great site. I go on runners world all the time but haven't run across those.

Aggie_Ama
    I do the hip swings everytime after I run and I can tell a big difference. My hips are becoming much looser - they used to be my problem but now I don't even notice them (maybe because my calves took over as the problem area)

Also I do a glute/hip stretch that I didn't see on there that hits the side muscles.
    I face the rail holding on, cross my legs close together, bend over and push the hip of my back leg out and back until I get the stretch down the side of th buttock area.

I do 2 sets of 10 on each leg of the hip swings w/ the glute stretches in between.

hmmmm I am sorry to hear you are hurting but I thought it was just because I was 52 - there is some small consolation in knowing that 28 year olds suffer too. What is it about group suffering ? ? ? ?

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollgirl View Post
    I find the recovery the hardest part. I am 47 and it just takes longer than it used to. The two girls I train with are 10 and 15 years yonger. They can still do back to back hard days. Not me.

I try to focus on really doing quality work on my hard days, going very easy on my easy days and taking 1 or 2 rest days a week. It does me no good at all to go into a scheduled hard day with a lot of fatigue built up.

I also ice when I get home and have a recovery drink after every workout.

You can do it!!!! Just not as often as the kids!!!!!

Ruth
    I do have a recovery drink immediatly following.

How and what do you ice? and for how long?

I have been doing inside calf stretches every time I am at the Y whether it is a run day or not and I can finally feel some let up in the pain department there. I am going to have to suck it up and do more treadmill - it is the cornering on the track that was the problem.

I am going to take more recovery time and work on hydrating better (I thought I was doing a good job in that dept. but I guess not) and eat better suppers. BF and lunch are very good but then I am not a supper eater especially if I go to the Y after work.

I did spin class today then walked the track for about 1/2 mile to visit w/ a friend. When at spin class I thought "ahhhhhhh this doesn't hurt!"

thanks for your support all and keep it coming - I need it!

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

1 month in

I'm still making progress on my Marathon Training (with Dad). We had our longest run yet yesterday- 9 miles. It felt GREAT! I loved every minute of it
    My legs definitely felt like they were in new territory during the last two miles.

I took today off, mostly b/c I wanted to see a movie with my girlfriends and I figured it wasn't too bad of an idea to rest after a long run...

Ten miles next wknd, starting to think about electrolyte replenishing during the runs..maybe when I get to twelve miles or so?

Happy Running!

8 or 9 miles today... the "usual" for Sundays lately it seems. 4-5 miles mostly flat, 4-5 miles mixed. It was cold and windy... should have worn my lined wind-proof shirt. Me and my dog ran sidewalks that were a little wet and still icky from recent snow, her feet and the back of my legs were dirty! I had to hose her off (with cups of warm water and then dry with a towel ) when we got home.

Upcoming week... Tuesday hill repeats, Thursday intervals counting steps (100 hard/50 easy, 200/100, 300/150, 400/200, repeat for 20min - not quite 2 full sets right now), Sunday another 8-10 miles.

I definitely have to have my chiropractor visits no farther than 3 weeks apart, my pelvis and hip joint really need to be adjusted. I might need to put them sooner, and talk to my PT about strengthening to reduce frequency of joint adjustments, or something. I really want some massage and acupuncture (both would feel good), so maybe I'll just do those every couple of weeks, too for good measure.... all in the name of endurance, right??

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    No running for me today...except maybe to the bathroom. There's been a stomach bug going through the nursing home where I work, and this weekend was my weekend on (last night I had two residents start "throwing and going"), and now I have it. Yuck. I just hope my roommates don't catch it--trying to quarantine myself as much as possible. Also hoping it only lasts 24 hours as these bugs often do.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Ugh. If it's the same thing I had two weeks ago (I suppose probably not) it is NASTY. It was really a full week before I was 100%. Hope you feel better soon Jolt.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Wow, there is a lot of running going on!! I can hardly keep up with all the posts.

I love how much everyone supports each other here... hints on stretches, recovery etc.

I ran 7,5 miles yesterday on trail along the OR coast, it was beautiful, peaceful and fun. Slow... but that's OK, I was trashed from a hard ride and there were a ton of very steep hills.
    Last edited by Wahine; 02-16-2009 at 01:40 PM.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Ugh. If it's the same thing I had two weeks ago (I suppose probably not) it is NASTY. It was really a full week before I was 100%. Hope you feel better soon Jolt.
    Yuck!! I don't think it's the same as that...I am already starting to feel better than I did this morning and the GI stuff has slowed down a lot. Hopefully this will be one of those 24-hour things.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by eclectic View Post
    I do have a recovery drink immediatly following.

How and what do you ice? and for how long?

I have been doing inside calf stretches every time I am at the Y whether it is a run day or not and I can finally feel some let up in the pain department there. I am going to have to suck it up and do more treadmill - it is the cornering on the track that was the problem.

I am going to take more recovery time and work on hydrating better (I thought I was doing a good job in that dept. but I guess not) and eat better suppers. BF and lunch are very good but then I am not a supper eater especially if I go to the Y after work.

I did spin class today then walked the track for about 1/2 mile to visit w/ a friend. When at spin class I thought "ahhhhhhh this doesn't hurt!"

thanks for your support all and keep it coming - I need it!
    OK, so don't call the men in the white coats, but when I can, I take an ice bath....15 mins. The first two mins are brutal and then it just gets numb and tingly.

If I can't do the ice bath, I take 4 ice bags and 2 very large ace bandages and do 2 bags on each leg and wrap them tightly with the ace. I leave them for 20 mins and then shift them down over my knees.

It works wonders.

And I am also doing the chiro every two weeks and a massage every two weeks. It has really helped.
    Last edited by rocknrollgirl; 02-16-2009 at 03:16 PM.