Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ama & Urlea - I haven't tried either of these options but I'll look for both of them at the grocery store. I'm definitely willing to experiment to see what works for me. Thanks for the suggestions!!
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post
    Ama & Urlea - I haven't tried either of these options but I'll look for both of them at the grocery store. I'm definitely willing to experiment to see what works for me. Thanks for the suggestions!!
    I have the same issue. I have to have a totally empty stomach when I run or I get horrible indigestion and cramps. I usually gel.

The other thing I used to do was yogurt with a package of instant oatmeal mixed into it and usually fruit - preferrably berries. It seemed to stick to me OK but was still light and refreshing enough to not cause the stomach issues.

The pre-made smoothies work well too. I like Bolthouse as well.

I should be running right now... what am I doing on the computer?
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Schedule for today was 5 easy, 35 hard, 5 easy but I was worn out. I just opted for 4 laps (3.2 miles) as hard as I could which wasn't hard but high heart rate. That took about 33 minutes so I trucked on until my watch read 35 and slowed for cool down running gently for about 3 more minutes to get to the car then walking a bit. I just didn't have gas in the tank for 45 minutes.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I did intervals yesterday, 9 x 1 minute. It felt better than I thought it was going to as stiff and sore as I was, and with the beach a little soft just an hour before high tide. Still I'm pretty sure it was GPS error the one interval it said I ran at a 2 minute pace.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

So in the morning, I am running a 10K. Since I only started running about 14 months ago, and this race was the first time I had ever run that far. I am afraid that I have worked myself up for this! My pace last time I ran this 10K was 11:15. When I ran a 10K in September my pace was 9:09. I want to beat that second time, but this is a much much hillier corse. Since September, I have been working so hard on distance, and I hope a little speed came with it! OH--and it's supposed to rain here! Gotta run fast anyway!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

Good luck Kacie. I really hate the feeling of being rained on, seriously it gives me borderline panic attacks. I might stay home if it were raining.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Good luck Kacie! Is it at least supposed to be a warm rain?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    The other thing I used to do was yogurt with a package of instant oatmeal mixed into it and usually fruit - preferrably berries. It seemed to stick to me OK but was still light and refreshing enough to not cause the stomach issues.
    My stomach could handle the oatmeal and fruit mixed in if I were cycling. But that's definitely too many solids for me to run on.

My longest runs are 1 hour. If I ever decide to try to go longer (like if I'm ever crazy enough to get sucked into a half marathon) I'm going to have to find something that either sticks with me, or something I can consume on the run.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

GO KACIE ! ! ! !

Good luck tomorrow.

re eating before running - I don't know what I will do the day of the 1/2 mary I don't run in the AM I run in the PM and have fueled all day. I figure I need to start trying Gu etc. because I run so slow I would need dinner in the middle

good for you Urlea on getting outside - I am chicken - too much ice

Well I thought last night's run would be great because I felt good all day and had a good AM swim.
    Well I pushed it and didn't use my inhaler, didn't take any aleve and it was probably the most difficult 2 miles I have done. My legs hurt and felt like lead and my breathing was labored although my HR wasn't up.

Now I know the value of training logs w/ notes. Note - use inhaler, note - don't get cocky after your first 6 mile run and think you are 23 not 52 and can recover that fast. Note - Painkillers in moderation are a good thing, not something to be scorned. Note - get more sleep. Note - eat better suppers Note- drink way more water after long run - I think that was most of my problem - I thought I was hydrating well but I need to do more

I decided to get up and swim today thinking that would help - NOT a good swim day. Even my arms were tired. THEN to add to the misery I did legs only whip kick and stretched a groin ligament so even my breast stroke hurt I was going to call it a day, get out but decided to use the pull buoy and just do arms to finish out the time.

I am supposed to start speed work tomorrow - 5miles worth - so not happening I hope to do 1 mile warm up, 1 mile of short intervals and 1 mile cool down. That will up my weeks mileage from 10 miles to 11 or 10% which is recommended, rather than jumping to 13 which is 33%.

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Go Kacie!!!

I actually went for a 4.5 mile run today. Easy recovery stuff. My body is sooooooooo tired from all the skiing.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I was supposed to run yesterday. I got dressed and was waiting for my DH to come home and run with me...and as I sat there and listened to the wind...gusts to 55 mph, I lost my motivation. He walked in and looked at me and said..tea anyone?

So I got up this morning and went out at 4:45 before school. Nothing fancy, just 3 miles, but I got it done.

So hill repeats on Tuesday
    3 miles today

I went to the gym to run on the treadmill after my 5th (sigh) interview for an internship position. I knew I would need to run after that.
    On Wednesday as I was lying down for relaxation at the end of yoga, I got a huge spasm in my back. I have never had this. I had to stay seated until it worked itself out, but it was *there* for the rest of the day. Yesterday it was still around, but I went to spin. Then my left hamstring started hurting, which is another oddity. I think I was favoring my leg or changing my position on the bike because of my back. Last night I was in pain, but was much better this morning.
    So. I warmed up and then ran continually for 21 minutes, 5 seconds, which got me to two miles. This is about 50 seconds faster than Monday. My HR still is up in the 160's at this pace, but I guess that's the way it is. I walked for 2 minutes and then ran a little longer, to get to 2.5 miles.
    I am happy with the increase in my ability to run continuously, but I feel like it will never get easier. I hope to run outside next week, after my Garmin arrives. I am trying t remember how slowly I had to build up when I started riding...

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    Go Kacie!!!

I actually went for a 4.5 mile run today. Easy recovery stuff. My body is sooooooooo tired from all the skiing.
    OK rub it in

we have all this snow and no mountains

It's about the journey and being in the moment, not about the destination

Yeah, it is the end of the work week! It's been a long exhausting week .

First of all GOOD LUCK EVERYONE ON YOUR RUNS!
    YELLOW IS COMPETTING IN HER FIRST TRAIL ENDURANCE RUN TOMORROW!
    I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR HOW SHE DOES!!

I went to the gym today and did a 6 miler tempo run, wts and lunges. Tomorrow is my long run. Hope I didn't do too much today. I need to feel strong tomorrow. I wish it would warm up here. Our mornings are only in the single digits and our highs have been 20-30's by 2:00 in the afternoon.

My friend made me a copy of soem yoga workouts. I think I will go check them out. I can't believe how much I like Yoga.
    Anita "Shiraz"