Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Jocelyn! You're in transition! That's great. Will look forward to hearing about this trip.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Yes, DH was itching for a change in scenery after the year he's had, and really the only thing left for me to do at my position was resign. It was a question of when. We took a look at our books and decided that I could do it sooner rather than later, and here we are!

We've been wanting to do this for ages, and now more than ever it is well worth getting a different perspective on things.

Feels like a proactive way to spend our days while waiting for this new stimulus package to work its way into the system, too.

Heard Seattle got another round of snow, too. Not missing that. Not at all.

time

Jocelyn..how long are you guys travelling for? Do you mind if i ask what regions you're covering?

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Jocelyn..how long are you guys travelling for? Do you mind if i ask what regions you're covering?
    Not at all -- we got round-the-world tickets with Star Alliance, which allows for multiple destinations as long as we travel generally east to west or in the other direction, and we have to complete our travel within a year of our start date.

We started out Seattle to Paris in mid-Jan. Rented an apartment in Paris for two weeks then flew to Singapore. Singapore is about as centrally-located as you can get, so we've been using it as a regional hub. As I mentioned before, we went to Indonesia last week and arrived today in Melbourne. We also entertained thoughts of visiting a friend in India but learned that we should have gotten our visas before leaving the U.S. Poor planning on our part. After this we will head to Taiwan to hang out with family as the lunar new year festivities wind down, and then we go to New Zealand. At this time we plan to be back home end of March, but there is some flexibility.

coolio

Coolio! I have more questions...
    Did you get to do any shopping in Singapore??

How's Melbourne??? I hope the smoke situation isn't too bad atm.

Are you doing mainly the South or North island when you get to NZ?

If you have facebook, will you be posting your trip photos

Coolio! I have more questions...
    Did you get to do any shopping in Singapore??
    I had no idea Singapore was such a shopping mecca until I got here. But as we're travelling light, and I've never been much of a shopper anyway, we've pretty much kept it to window-shopping.

How's Melbourne??? I hope the smoke situation isn't too bad atm.
    Melbourne is lovely. We couldn't have asked for better weather. There has been a little bit of a wood-burning smoky smell in the city -- mostly yesterday -- but it hasn't been too bad.

DH's interview seems to have gone well (he is in round #2 this afternoon) and we visited with a friend of mine from grad school. Yesterday his wife and I went for a little bike ride down the Yarra River Trail, just barely 10k out and back.

Are you doing mainly the South or North island when you get to NZ?
    No set plans yet. I think we're entering through Auckland and then we'll spend a couple days there planning what we'll do. Any recommendations?

If you have facebook, will you be posting your trip photos
    I am on facebook, but I prefer to limit my network to people who I know in person. Perhaps when I get home I'll edit down a selection and post for TE'ers who are curious about the trip.

Waiheke

The great thing about Singapore is that it's cheap to fly to from Perth & it's a short hop! We almost went there on a long weekend last year...

Hey, great news about your DH's interview process!

In regards to flying into Auckland & what to do. Well, it depends on how much time you have & if it's only going to be spent on the N. Island

A couple of ideas-Waiheke Island, Rangitoto & Titiri Tiri (sp?) Matangi are cool places to visit when in Auckland.

The Coromandel The far north

The East Cape . Drive from Auckland along the coast to Gisborne. Great beaches at Ohope, Opotiki & Hicks Bay

You could always come back the inland route & go mtn biking in Rotorua(rotovegas)

If you want to go further, why not down to The 'Naki (Taranaki)

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I postponed my planned Italy trip until next spring (for the Giro). The economy isn't having an effect on my work--I'm busier than ever, but the renovation has sucked all the savings out of my life, and then some. So I decided to use this year as a savings year and then next year travel to Europe. I don't like having no savings.

Tulip: Busy is good. Savings is good, too. Having all your ducks in a row before doing extended travel: priceless.

Chances are that the economy will recover slowly so I imagine that you might be able to take advantage of some deals even next year.