Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Does anyone have a loom

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi, I am interested in learning how use a loom and thought I would ask a few questions here. What kind do you have? Is it large/small? I have seen all different sizes. How hard are they to set up? From speaking with some, I have heard it can take a while to set-up. I think it would be fun to learn but maybe I am getting in over my head.

Well, I've used looms before, although I don't have one. Floor looms, 4 harness, is what I had. Yes, the set up is the longest, finicky part of it! Stringing each thread through the heddles (the wire/string things on the harness') and then the beater, and evening up the tension. But it's fun, once everything is set up and you get a rhythm, and watch your fabric grow! It's not 'hard' per say, to warp a loom, you just need to take your time and do it carefully, and make sure you 'control' the warp to keep it from tangling up. Have fun!

Where's salsa? She's the one to ask.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Hi, Solobiker! (Hi, SK). I have three looms---one four harness that is 45" wide; one eight harness that's 25 inches wide; and one eight harness table loom that's about 16 inches wide and that folds up and can be put into its own suitcase to carry/ship to workshops. (Most weavers have more than one loom--the different sizes and harness set ups serve different purposes). The more harnesses, the more complex patterns you can weave.

Looms are not hard to set up but it takes a certain Zen-like patience, so if you want to weave you just have to decide to turn off the rush-to-be-done urge and not be bothered by the time it takes to thread them.

I took Weaving I about 8-9 years ago; just got a wild urge out of the blue. If I can do it, believe me, you can. I looked at the set-up requirements in the first class, and just said to myself, if you want to do this, you need to decide now that you will not mind the threading time. And honestly, I never have minded it. It's a sort of contemplative, repetitive, simple procedure. Sure, it takes a few hours. No big deal. It's not hard to do at all, and not hard to learn. And it's a ton of fun. You're always getting surprised as you start to weave and see how the colors you picked interact with each other. I love that. But then I am easily entertained.

Feel free to ask any questions you like. Many of the weavers I have met have been incredibly generous with their time and advice and I would be happy to pay that forward.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I weave too!
    I have floor looms, but started on a tabletop model.

Important things:
    putting the fiber on the loom is as much a part of weaving as moving the shuttle is, relax and enjoy it.
    Keep the cat away while doing so.
    It's possible and not hard to load fiber onto the loom without a helper, but if you have a buddy, it can be fun to work together.
    I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle

Thanks for all of the information. I am thinking I should start with the smaller one, the 16" because right now I don't have a lot of storage space. Does it matter for a begginner what size loom is used? I would imagine the smaller the better. I don't think I would mind setting it up as I have quite a bit of patience and I quilt which takes a long time with cutting all of the pieces. I would love to see some pictures of the work you have done to get inspired.

oh, one other question. Do you have any recommendations any books so I can try to teach myself?

Smaller isn't necessarily better or easier, but it IS cheaper. A four harness table loom is the way most people start, and you should be able to get a used one for $100-150. You have to lift the harnesses with hand levers, which means it goes more slowly than with a floor loom, where you can lift the harnesses by using foot pedals. But for a beginner, that's ideal--you have plenty of time to see how it works and learn to understand it. If you end up liking weaving, in time you'll get a floor loom, but no rush for that.

The classic beginner's book, which I used and still consult often, is Deborah Chandler's "Learning to Weave". See this Amazon review (no, I DIDN'T write it, but I could have): Deborah Chandler's book is the next best thing to attending an excellent weaving class in person. Then after you learn to weave, it is a reference book that can aid you for years to come. Even after weaving for more than 10 years, I often turn to this book. It has plain detailed instruction with wonderful illustrations. Photos and drawings as well as the fabulous explanations guide you right along. Whether you are just learning to weave or want to add to your weaving library, I strongly recommend this book!

Here's a sample I did for a class. It's in doubleweave structure, which lets you do some very cool color blending. The stripes in the warp are shades of pink to red to maroon, so you can see by the end results how much weaving with a different color (I used purple, blue, orange, yellow...) can change the appearance. That's the fun of weaving--it's like alchemy to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doubleweave1.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	8593  
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Thanks, I am sure I will have more questions. gosh so much to learn.