Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have had American Pie stuck on replay since yesterday. But thanks to Zen I now feel a bad case of Julie Andrews coming on.

Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    Scientists think that a song stuck in your head is the most common hallucination. I do that all the time because I play an instrument in a lot of different groups. I must really be nuts.
    I think an earworm and an auditory hallucination must be 2 different things. So, being a scientist I looked up your claim and found things like this abstract:

A case of idiopathic musical hallucination with increasing repertoire
    M Satoh, M Kokubo, S Kuzuhara

"Musical hallucination is defined as a type of auditory hallucination characterised by the perception of music without an external source. Reports in the literature state that musical hallucinations are common in women, and are associated with ageing, deafness, brain diseases (epilepsy, tumour, stroke, meningitis and neurosyphilis), psychiatric diseases (schizophrenia and manic depression), toxic states (alcohol) and drugs (antidepressants, salicylate, quinine and aspirin). Some authors proposed that, when listening to music, the auditory input is processed by three stages, operating in a hierarchical fashion: perception of individual sounds, perception or imagery of pattern in segmented sound, and encoding or recognition of patterned segmented sound. It is supposed that musical hallucinations are caused by abnormal autonomous activity in the auditory brain systems responsible for normal musical imagery."

Still not convinced that it's the same thing, or is it
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Heh.

Hallucinate this
    LOL!!! This song goes through my head over and over more times than I can count! Happens all the time. "Do Re Mi" (the whole thing) is also a particular favorite of my warped brain.
    Thanks!

Gray
    Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul.
    Walt Whitman

My blog: A Gamut of Interests

TsPoet sez: I think an earworm and an auditory hallucination must be 2 different things. So, being a scientist I looked up your claim and found things like this abstract:

From personal experience, they are very different things.

The earworm is an annoying snatch of song (my most recent one was a snatch of a hymn I dislike) that just worms its way into my mental conversation with myself. I find myself humming it throughout the day and it drives me NUTS. The worst, of course, is that I never quite remember the whole thing, so I just have a sappy phrase to put up with.

The auditory hallucination is a whole different beast. I'm starting to occasionally "hear" someone say my name. No I'm quite alone. No, it's not frightening. It is a bit weird, but I don't mind a little bit of weirdness in my life. In fact, I prefer this to that %*##@^!! hymn. Considerably less annoying.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Title music from the super nerdy-cool british sitcom, the IT Crowd.

Brilliant.
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 02-05-2009 at 08:42 AM.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Heh.

Hallucinate this

Oh that's just great-I'm playing in the pit for a local high school that's doing that one in March! Right now I'm doing Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor dream coat, and in May it will be Willy Wonka. Will it ever stop!!???

Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet View Post
    I think an earworm and an auditory hallucination must be 2 different things. So, being a scientist I looked up your claim and found things like this abstract:

A case of idiopathic musical hallucination with increasing repertoire
    M Satoh, M Kokubo, S Kuzuhara

"Musical hallucination is defined as a type of auditory hallucination characterised by the perception of music without an external source. Reports in the literature state that musical hallucinations are common in women, and are associated with ageing, deafness, brain diseases (epilepsy, tumour, stroke, meningitis and neurosyphilis), psychiatric diseases (schizophrenia and manic depression), toxic states (alcohol) and drugs (antidepressants, salicylate, quinine and aspirin). Some authors proposed that, when listening to music, the auditory input is processed by three stages, operating in a hierarchical fashion: perception of individual sounds, perception or imagery of pattern in segmented sound, and encoding or recognition of patterned segmented sound. It is supposed that musical hallucinations are caused by abnormal autonomous activity in the auditory brain systems responsible for normal musical imagery."

Still not convinced that it's the same thing, or is it

Oh- maybe I should be really worried, at least about the cause? I don't think I will let my husband read this-he may have me locked up!

Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    Oh- maybe I should be really worried, at least about the cause? I don't think I will let my husband read this-he may have me locked up!
    I agree with Momonbike - I think an ear worm is not an hallucination. When a song is stuck in my head it can be distracting or annoying, but I never think I really hear it. I think you have think something is real for it to be an hallucination, even if the thought it's real is transient.
    I've had smells that I think were hallucinations, though.
    My photoblog
    Strada Velomobile

I have two dueling- "Start Wearing Purple" and "Strange OVertones". Both I know very little of so I jsut hear "Why don't you start wearing purple, wearing purple...." or the part of strange overtones where they talk about getting their mittens.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Tulip-I live in the country where women glow & men thunder...
    Actually, the men plunder. Can you hear, can you hear the thunder?

My latest earworm is driving me nuts, not because of the tune but because it's wrong.
    Isn't it ironic, don't you think? It's so ironic, I really do think.
    It's like rain on your wedding day. (That's NOT ironic, that's a bummer)
    It's a free ride, when you've already paid. (Again, not ironic, just unfortunate)
    It's the good advice, you just didn't take. (not ironic, just stupid)
    This is driving me nuts! Please somebody, tell me there is some example of ironic in that song somewhere before I go insane.

Maybe this
    as the plane crashed down, he thought "well isn't this nice". - maybe that's ironic??
    My photoblog
    Strada Velomobile

I kissed a girl and I liked it : by Kate Perry.

I have had that stuck in my head for 2 weeks. Problem is, that is the only part of the song that I know.
    I heard it on a comercial for something one day and can't get it out of my head.
    Donna

Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet View Post
    This is driving me nuts! Please somebody, tell me there is some example of ironic in that song somewhere before I go insane.
    Well I had to look up the lyrics, but I thought the first one was ironic, dying the day after he hit the lottery.

Now you've got that song stuck in my head. That's exactly why I was afraid to look at this thread. Is that ironic? (I guess not.)
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Ever been driven crazy by a song in yer head? Be bopped too much one day and memorized some lyrics? Headbanged too frequently?

I can't get "Great Southern Land" by Icehouse out of me head...

What about you?
    Well, not til I read this post!! Thanks CC

(BTW... when I was a kid I thought Icehouse were telling me about a "great southern man" )