Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    I had my only bike wipeout on the Mt Vernon trail! It was my first time riding out of the basement and back in the sunlight. Got banged and bruised, but it didn't stop me from riding!
    I wouldn't call it a wipe out but it was my first clipless fall. A train was going overhead on one of the bridges and it made scrap metal rain from above. I quickly stopped and that was about all I did- no unclipping, no trackstand, just stop and fall. good news was that I was not impaled with metal bad news was that I scraped my knee up. I felt like a beaten person that day.
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by sfa View Post
    In theory, I suppose I could, and back when I was young and very fit I might have even tried it. I'm in suburban Baltimore, so there's about 40 - 50 miles of highway between me and the Mt. Vernon trail. I'm pretty sure I could make it down there, but then I'd have to pitch a tent on George Washington's lawn and sleep before attempting the trip back!

But MARC trains allow bicycles and I'm only a few miles from a MARC station.

Sarah
    Ah, well, that's far! When I lived in Maryland I was much closer in (the third house from the DC line, in fact). I suppose Balto is considered the DC area to some.

MARC is a great system. They might have restrictions on bikes during rush hour (except for folding bikes).

I could take Amtrak up and join y'all...I'll have to think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by madscot13 View Post
    I wouldn't call it a wipe out but it was my first clipless fall. A train was going overhead on one of the bridges and it made scrap metal rain from above. I quickly stopped and that was about all I did- no unclipping, no trackstand, just stop and fall. good news was that I was not impaled with metal bad news was that I scraped my knee up. I felt like a beaten person that day.
    We had a rider coming the other way wipe out and slide into our path. My friend ran right into him and endo'ed and almost ended up in the stream; my rear slid out when I tried to stop and I went down on my left side. I guess I should be glad it was smooth wood rather than rough pavement. So far, this has been my only bike accident (knocking on wood)..
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

ouch. I wiped out along the trail once as a teenager along there when I couldn't make a sharp down hill turn to get on to a wood bridge and decided wiping out was better than ending up in the creek.

But I think there were wet leaves about.

I sanded my thigh a bit.

Unfortunately, I can't say that's my only wipe out.

We had a rider coming the other way wipe out and slide into our path. My friend ran right into him and endo'ed and almost ended up in the stream; my rear slid out when I tried to stop and I went down on my left side. I guess I should be glad it was smooth wood rather than rough pavement. So far, this has been my only bike accident (knocking on wood)..
    Was that south of the marina? Those boards are often slippery and those hard-core guys on bikes take it way too fast. It stays shady, so the moss grows on the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Was that south of the marina? Those boards are often slippery and those hard-core guys on bikes take it way too fast. It stays shady, so the moss grows on the boards.
    I think so, but I'm not very familiar with the trail or exactly where we were. I know it was damp and shaded and I doubted that the wood ever really dries off. They should consider applying something to the wood to increase the traction; can't be good for runners or walkers either.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I think so, but I'm not very familiar with the trail or exactly where we were. I know it was damp and shaded and I doubted that the wood ever really dries off. They should consider applying something to the wood to increase the traction; can't be good for runners or walkers either.
    I'm sorry you and your friend crashed. I've been in a close call there in the same situation. The guy was going WAY too fast and his bike slid out from under him. I stayed upright, but I was going very slowly. I think they have signs up indicating that it's slippery (it's been a few years since I lived there).