Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question cheap online bike parts

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, my latest project has been running into quite a few snags. Not a single thing seems to be fitting properly and everything I need has to be ordered any way...

If I could at least get the thing functioning I could ride it down to the LBS to fit things properly but I can't even get to that point!

The handlebars are too thin for the original brake levers (the little attachment roundy thing on the brake has a screw that sticks out into the lever when it's tightened too small) the seatpost is still too big after 2 LBS measurements and replacements of the original (at least I managed to force it in...) and now the brake cable housing that came on it is cut way too long... Not to mention the inexplicable and utter lack of french threaded pedals in this world... sigh.

Oh I could go on with the details for about 3 more pages...

Anyhoo...

Does anyone know of a good, cheap, online parts store, preferably with vintage parts? Don't mind if they're used, just in good condition.

I need off-white cable housings which apparently don't exist, vintage french threaded pedals, vintage lightweight/mini fenders, and some un-rusted or de-rustable cruiserish handlebars...

It would rock my world if I could find these in vintage french brands... It's for an early 70's gitane mixte. Cheap is the key word here...It's going to be my first complete re-build after a test ride (if I can even get to that point...) Also any tips for tools... 70's french people seemed to build things as akwardly as possible...

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by IvonaDestroi; 03-28-2009 at 12:08 PM.

I sold and worked on French bikes (Motobecanes) in the 70s. You shouldn't need special French tools - just standard metric fittings. Of course, bottom brackets were different in the 70s, but French and British were similar. Freewheel and crank tools were specific to the manufacturer - no standardization at all. If you need tools for a specific part, maybe I can help if you describe it or post a picture

As far as finding French parts, the only thing I can suggest is eBay. Most of that stuff isn't manufactured any more. If you had money to put into this thing, you could probably replace the crank with something modern and use standard pedals. You could replace the handlebars and stem and brake levers together, as the external stem diameter you need probably matches modern specs. To get off-white cable housing, I suggest rubbing dirty hands on white housing. Always worked for me.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Go to the Classic & Vintage folder on bikeforums.net, and if you ask nicely they will help you.

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Contact Aldo about French stuff.

For miscellaneous things like handlebars check VeloOrange
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

can't you just cut the housing?

Quote Originally Posted by aicabsolut View Post
    can't you just cut the housing?
    Not so much, it's pretty much gone. I think it's actually 40 years old...

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    I sold and worked on French bikes (Motobecanes) in the 70s. You shouldn't need special French tools - just standard metric fittings. Of course, bottom brackets were different in the 70s, but French and British were similar. Freewheel and crank tools were specific to the manufacturer - no standardization at all. If you need tools for a specific part, maybe I can help if you describe it or post a picture

As far as finding French parts, the only thing I can suggest is eBay. Most of that stuff isn't manufactured any more. If you had money to put into this thing, you could probably replace the crank with something modern and use standard pedals. You could replace the handlebars and stem and brake levers together, as the external stem diameter you need probably matches modern specs. To get off-white cable housing, I suggest rubbing dirty hands on white housing. Always worked for me.

Good tip on the housing, I was actually thinking that, but it's sort of counter productive It's probably what I'll end up doing though. The reason I need off white is because it has the original (now off-white) brake levers that are awesome because they are very rare to find un-broken (they're light plastic!). I assume they once were white, but they're still in great shape

I have found some things on E-bay I could use, but now that I'm ready to buy everything's over-priced. Guess I'll just have to wait it out!

Thanx for the tips!

For miscellaneous things like handlebars check VeloOrange[/QUOTE]

OMG their Bottle cages are adorable...

Thanks for the VeloOrange heads up! Their bottle cages are great and they have great fenders too.
    Support me in my fight against MS as I ride the Cape Cod Getaway MS150! Marian's Marauders Team Page