Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Entered the world of bike commuting...

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I figure, what better way to get in rides as often as possible than to commute to work by bike? I'm so **** sick of I-5 I could throw up. So I'm bike commuting and so proud of myself!

LOL...I've only done it twice so far, and might I say there are quite a lot of logistics to figure out? For example, today I am eating a grab bag of Cheetos and trial mix from the vending machine for lunch. I had to get my morning latte from a little deli in the building and I'm sure she gave me a double shot of caffiene (whoo hoo! my body's a buzzing!) I have icky stubbly legs because I forgot my razor. Had to smack the wall-affixed hair dryer a few times to get it going.

But! Oh, I feel good! I have this dumb-*** grin on my face all day. It's just a little over 11 miles each way and it takes me almost an hour each way, has two KILLER hills toward the end (and then hills the other way, of course), but I just did my best to spin in my lowest gear.

I didn't have to get in my car today, didn't have to deal with the freeway, didn't have to pay a ridiculous amount of money for gas, didn't have to hunt for a parking space and didn't use my own hot water (well, I need to when I get home because I'll be all sweaty again-see earlier posts, lol-but I only pay for one shower a day now instead of two when I workout).

Can I say how cool this is???

I saw a thread about bike adjustment and I'm getting my first one on 6/18 (after payday) and can't wait! I know my stem is too long; my shoulders always hurt so bad after a ride! We'll see how I do after the fitting, hmmm?

Ok, I'm such a dork, but my co-workers don't really get it (they think it's incredible to bike so FAR) and I needed to share w/people who GET it!

That's terrific Lynne. I love commuting. It's just a nice way to start the day.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

yeeehaaa - another commuter

Just wait til you decide to "take a spin" at lunch to burn off the cobwebs. Even the ladies here on the board can tell when I've had a great lunch ride coz my posts are even more obnoxious than normal!! I love my daily commute - I feel cranky and irritable when I don't get it for some reason. by the way - can you pack a lunch?.....I wear a backpack and carry my clothes and lunch and who knows what else every day, keep deodorant, comb, personals and even some of my clothes at work and switch out every few days.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

way to go! I commute once a week when my knees are good (almost there again..sigh)... 20.2 miles each way... takes me an hour 20 min. I leave a wash cloth and towel in my office restroom as well as soap, makeup, a ponytail holder (preventing the "hair by helmet" look ) and just wash up when I get here... I also leave clothes here the night before I ride so I'm not in bike clothes all day... works out pretty well... and yep, I feel GREAT on the days I ride... if I sit in traffic it takes almost as long as if I ride...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    I love my daily commute - I feel cranky and irritable when I don't get it for some reason. by the way - can you pack a lunch?.....I wear a backpack and carry my clothes and lunch and who knows what else every day, keep deodorant, comb, personals and even some of my clothes at work and switch out every few days.
    I'll chime in with Corsair and everyone else - nothing beats that virtuous grin you get from commuting!!! Yes, you have to think a bit about what to carry, what to store at work, how you will dry out your chamois without being arrested or fired at work, and what to eat/drink at work and for your ride, but boy is it WORTH IT!!! Those daily miles add up and Corsair is right about the re-energizing you get from riding again later in the day. Welcome to commuting!!!

:-(

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hmmm...I'm having a hard time though...need to vent and I'm worried about my "commuter skills". I have to ride through downtown Portland to get home. I'm not good at the whole "rush-hour-cars-all-around-me-people-crossing-in-front-of-me-crossing-the-MAX line tracks-taking-the-wrong-turn" commuting thing. I am really intimidated trying to get through downtown. I almost felt like tapping one guy on the shoulder and asking for tips, but all the people I see are so good at it!

Then today, hit all the stinking red lights, got behind a super-muscley masher guy who was slow to start at every light, but went like crazy once he got started (passed him once, he passed me, I stayed behind intentionally but caught up to him at like 4 lights). I haven't eaten right for a few days, doing the route two days in a row (has hills, I should have taken a recovery day until I'm fit enough to do it). I get to the first big hill, my stomach growls and I know I'm in trouble. Got to work about 10 mins late, which I am really trying to avoid as my work is not alternative transportation friendly.

Then I find out today that I can't have a permanent locker in the freebie gym locker room (business gym thing) because "too many people ask for one". I tell her there aren't people bike commuting and that stuff is heavy! Took her two days to call me back just to give me sh*t??? No bike racks and someone knocked over my bike yesterday and I think scratched the frame against the lock chain (I have to lock my bike to a stairwell, my company won't let me bring it inside because it's muddy).

I'm sure I'll work all this out, and I'm still glad to be getting my workout, but the tough thing s/b getting to work and home over those hills, not this stupid stuff!! Argh!
    I get to have pizza after this, right? No...wait...cheesecake....

Dang! The evil anti-bike spirits are after you! Could you get any help/hints on safer routes or info on working with your employer to improve commuter relations through the Bicycle Transportation Alliance in Portland? Hang in there commuter-hero!!

Rich, creamy mocha-swirled cheesecake virtually presented to new commuter, Lynne! Sorry I can't present it in person. I'm only a thousand miles or so distant. Hope you DID treat yourself to something special. Sounds like you earned it.

I agree with all who say commuting by bike is the greatest way to start a work day. I am lucky (in some ways). My work day starts late so I can ride extra-long routes to work. Actual commute would be 2.5 miles. I usually stretch it to 25-30. Downside is that I often have to ride home in the dark. :::shrug:::: I have good lights and do the short, 2.5 miles. It's worth it to leave the car at home. I carry clothing most days in my BOB trailer. Don't need that much room, but I'm trying to get accustomed to the trailer for longer tours. Occasionally, I'll go light and take the fast bike and a backpack. I just don't like that on my back, tho'. So tend to take the BOB, in spite of the weight difference. I am much cheerier on the days that I bike to work! I have also been trying to do any errands that I possibly can by bike, too. Use it as my main transportation as much as possible. God knows, I could do better! But I am trying and loving as much time on the bike as I can get.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

I try and commute whenever possible, like Annie, its worth it just to leave the car at home.

But I have also to take kids into town to school, so that limits me a bit. Sometimes I bike down, partner takes children in to school, he meets me at my work, we pack his bike in to boot, and he heads off home on his bike.

I am looking forward to school holidays because on those days I wont be limited by having to ferry passengers, and I can ride to and from work.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Lynne: what type of environment do you work in?......as in all office, warehouse, combo??......have you talked to your co-workers?? they may actually help you keep on eye on your bike and take care/protect it. Especially if they know that's your only way of getting home.
    As for the traffic - I ride like I belong on that rode doggone it.....coz I am after all considered a vehicle. It can be intimidating but believe me, the drivers Know when you're backing down. I don't mean I'm an Aggressive rider, but an Assertive rider. I also - thanks to someone here on the board - try and let the drivers know what I'm doing ie: if there's a right turn lane and I'm going straight, I signal that I'm staying in the straight lane....you'd be surprised how many people will back off to let you move over where you need to be. As for the masher guy - I'm with you, I'da just let him go. If it happens again you might try stiking up a conversation with him, ask him if he finds it easier to start in such a high gear!!
    I'm sorry to hear about the locker - you may have to leave a duffle bag under your desk to keep you biking clothes in.....or talk to the other ladies and see if they'd mind if you left them in the restroom.....heck - ya might inspire some other ladies to ride too! Someone here I think said they had a friend who laid out all her bikie gear under her desk to dry out until time to go home.
    No matter what, you're already doing more than most people even dream of, keep up the good work and it will work out for you!

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    ...Someone here I think said they had a friend who laid out all her bikie gear under her desk to dry out until time to go home.
    No matter what, you're already doing more than most people even dream of, keep up the good work and it will work out for you!

Funny, that's exactly what I do with my biking clothes!

I'm really lucky though - my office is across the street from a Marriott, and when I started working at this office I went looking for the closest gym. It turns out that this hotel has a decent little gym - though expensive - but it was worth it to me to have a place to take a shower after my morning commute. And of course since it's a hotel there is the added plus that they supply the towels. So I take my shower, then walk across the street to my office. My bike goes in a storage closet in the office, the single pannier that I use to carry my work clothes go under my desk, and I spread my damp cycling clothes over the pannier so that they are dry by the time I'm ready to head home.

If I were in your situation I'd probably leave a bag under my desk with toilet articles, a towel, etc. In fact at one point before I joined the health club I considered leaving a small plastic bucket at the office figuring I could fill it with water, hide in a stall in the rest room , and at least sponge off before changing. If there is a handicapped stall, even better.

I don't ride in city traffic, but there are several spots on my commute that can be kind of hairy. In fact, my commute to work is 16 miles and my commute home is 18 miles because I find that it's easier to co-exist with the morning drivers. After work there seem to be more nuts out there, so I go out of my way to find a slightly quieter alternative to my morning commute. I take whatever room I need on the road (to be safe), and I always signal my intent to change direction. I've had drivers stop to let me turn left, which always surprises me.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 06-03-2005 at 03:49 PM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

You guys are so sweet! Now if you just worked with me, lol!

Well, with all the downs, there are a lot of ups to my commute. I do have access to the freebie gym with a full shower, shampoo and soap (icky soap, I need to bring my own) and towels and a hair-dryer. For the next couple of weeks, I have access to a drawer at work to put some stuff in (tried just leaving my stuff in the freebie locker room, got a what's-what from the management). I will lay my clothes out to dry all day around my desk because while my co-workers think I'm nuts, they tell me they can't do what I'm doing, so I get a little respect.

We have a guy transferring from Seattle to our office and he's got an "in" so he confiscated an empty cubicle to put his bike in. He offered to let me put mine next to his, so I just have a month or so to get through. (although we have to put down cardboard on the floor so we don't get the carpet dirty...WHATEVER).

I'll probably be doing Tues-Thurs commuting. Kind of a bummer I can't do more right now, but I need to condition myself. So...it's Saturday hard/pleasure rides, Sunday rest, Monday riding around the track (my BF has taken up racing, but I can ride around it for an hour before...my one chance at a smooth flat fast ride!). Tues commute, Weds riding w/my honey, Thurs commute, Friday rest up for Sat. How's that for planning?

See my post about my new bike, too! Going out today for it's virgin ride
    I get to have pizza after this, right? No...wait...cheesecake....