Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yeah Aggie- I see it all the time too, but mostly with the bmx racing kids.. Parents come running in wanting - as Lance used to say "the sheaat"... The newest, coolest, lightest, etc.... I just order it up and smile. And then I see the kids throwing their bikes on the ground like common trash at the races- and throwing a fit because they didnt come in first..
    Yeah dad, they really deserved that new dxr crankset now didnt they?? sheesh.
    The latest is every kid in town wanting to clip in. I have 5-6 year olds coming in to get clipless pedals?? And they are ROOKIES! OY

After our son started demading that he needed one of the high end Trances, and would settle for nothing less than xtr and full fox, we decided that he needed a little reality check.
    We have yet to have set him up on a new bike.
    But as for this kid on the tricked out Titus with the sweet cobalts, more power to you dad! Maybe he's an up and coming pro? Who am I to judge??
    Our manager runs cobalts on his race bike. Nice wheels. Very nice.

Sorry dad, I feel like we are being petty. I don't fault you for giving kiddo the best but as I look at that tiny bike and go home to my hardtail bike with Alivio and Deore I can't help but be a smidge jealous.

RM- The boy likely isn't thanking you today but one day I stopped and thanked my dad for my 1986 cutlass. I thought I would die when that was presented in 1997 as my option for driving. I didn't get it then but I sure do in my wise old age. I made my mom cry last year telling her I hated shopping at Weiner's and Walmart but I got to stay in our neighborhood they couldn't afford with good schools and that was worth more than Guess jeans. At least those parents willing to spoil their little darlings are using your shop!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I personally want to be Scotte's 12 year old. I'd buy this bike if I could.

I sort of wonder about how today's kids are going to be... I only had yard sale bikes when i was little - and there was one yard sale orange 10 speed that we all inherited when we got tall enough to ride it. I definitely have way too much now... But my little niece is spoiled rotten - not that I don't play a part in that... but given that she's the only child in the family, it means that if all her aunt's & uncles and grandparents give her one nice gift... she makes out

Aw, let's not make unkind assumptions about a guy who bought the frame used right here.

One of the most heart-warming stories in motorcycle racing is a lower-middle-class family from Kentucky who sacrificed everything to get their sons what they needed to race. Not one of these high-pressure stage families, either - by all accounts, the kids got everything they needed emotionally as well, and they're still an incredibly tight-knit family. The middle son is a former World Champion and still riding very strongly in the premiere class in the world, and the other two boys are no slouches either.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I assume Dad has kick butt toys and builds kiddo a good bike with parts off his bike. Or has a way to get parts cheap. I know a lot of people who have way better parts than what I have sitting around collecting dust, it wouldn't be a stretch to buy a frame and build a complete bike for some of my friends without buying much else. I on the other hand often don't have an extra tube at my house but that is how I roll.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    One of the most heart-warming stories in motorcycle racing is a lower-middle-class family from Kentucky who sacrificed everything to get their sons what they needed to race. Not one of these high-pressure stage families, either - by all accounts, the kids got everything they needed emotionally as well, and they're still an incredibly tight-knit family. The middle son is a former World Champion and still riding very strongly in the premiere class in the world, and the other two boys are no slouches either.
    That's the Hayden Family! When Nicky won the USGP he said that he could remember that they had buckets in their house because the roof leaked. Their parents sacrificed everything just so the kids could go motorcycle racing. It's a great story of a humble kid from Kentucky who becomes World Champion!

End hijack...
    Bork Bork, Hork Hork!!

nice to see another motorcycle race fan here

okay, end hijack.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I will chime in here, since I am the one buying the bike

Just talked to Scotte and turns out that his kid has come in second in nationals a couple of times... hoping for first one of these years! Sounds like I am not worthy of riding his bike :-) He is one lucky kid to have such an awesome bike and such a supportive Dad!

I will post photos once i have the bike and have taken it on its first test ride. (I am pretty excited!)

Ellen

I'm now jealous of you & the 12 year old!

Enjoy!

Thumbs up Alright!

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadger View Post
    I will chime in here, since I am the one buying the bike
    Ellen
    Ellen -- congratulations! I am so glad to see someone buying this beautiful and wonderful bike. We are now bike twins - same size, even. I rode mine this very day. This one is a beaut -- prettier and newer than mine (don't tell her -- I still love her!)
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Ellen now I can be jealous of you!! Seriously my parents probably spent $800/yr on bowling balls when I was bowling. Flew or drove me all over to bowl in tournaments and paid for me to participate in several leagues. Like I can judge on this bike. Make sure to tell us all about this bike and how much fun you have! Have you been mountain biking or is this a start? I would guess it is not a start but maybe?
    Amanda

Thanks ladies! I am pretty excited.

AA: I have been mountain biking a bit....first in Peru (sort of pseudo mt biking), then Moab and Banff, but this is my first mountain bike of my own. It is way more than I was planning/expecting to get, but I couldn't pass up this opportunity! I will have to come up riding in your neck of the woods sometime!

Ellen,

Thank you for buying this bike -- I don't think I could have handled the temptation much longer!

It sounds like a very nice bike is going to a very good home; may you have many enjoyable miles.

- Melissa
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

Quote Originally Posted by melissam View Post
    Ellen,

Thank you for buying this bike -- I don't think I could have handled the temptation much longer!

It sounds like a very nice bike is going to a very good home; may you have many enjoyable miles.

- Melissa
    Yup, that is my excuse... I did it just to protect you Mel :-)

Talking

Yes, the bike is SOLD. THANK YOU Ellen, you won't be disappointed.

Thank you everyone else for being so supportive of a great bicycle. I also ride a Racer-X and my parts are not as good as my son's. I'll tell you why, which covers the "other" discussion.

First, with only a small number of kids (compared to bmx or baseball) who competitively race mountain bikes and road bikes, all of the parents are really into it, and all of the kids have nice bikes. For my son, it's not about an "expensive bike", and whoever said the kids don't understand money, that is true, they don't. But it really isn't about money, it's about weight.

My son started racing mountain bikes when he was 8 years old and about 60 lbs. He started out on a 24" IBEX something with 18 gears, and yes, no granny in front - 34x44. Then this thing weighed like 35 lbs. I don't know how many of you have mountain biked in Flagstaff, AZ, but the rides start at 7,000'. Then there are two ways to ride, up and down. So he is 60 lbs., riding a 35 lb. bike, at a 1x1 gear ratio, trying to go up the mountain. How much fun do you think he had?

Then when you get into racing, the promoters are designing the courses for professional mountain bikers, not 8 year old kids, so again, climb-climb-climb. Nobody likes to walk their bike, that's no fun, so what do you do? You build the lightest bike possible which still doesn't even come close to an adult to bike weight ratio. Then what happens when you try to build a super light bike, the cost goes through the roof. It sucks. I'm not a weight weenie, just want my kid to participate and enjoy a really cool sport - sure beats psycho baseball parents. lol

Catriona - were you riding your yard sale special up a 10-15% gradiant, 1 mile single track climb, then coming down that same mountain, at a National Championship Mountain Bike race in Mammoth Mountain, CA as a 10 year old. Probably not. lol

I won't bother to mention the specs for my son's road bike and TT bike. We'll be racing mtn and road bikes in AZ, CA, CO, and OR this year so the bikes are cheap compared to the travel budget. Our kids are only kids once and we only live once. If the impossible happens and he is a pro cyclist, then at least the traveling won't be a shocker, it's just part of the deal. If nothing else, cycling will probably be part of his life forever.

Running Mommy - we'll be at the Valley of the Sun Stage Race TT in Buckeye this Friday afternoon if you want to see some serious fast kids from AZ, CA, CO, TX, and UT! And yes, we do get pro deal on some items, like the Cobalt wheels, which does help the cost. Thank you to Crank Bros for that.

And the coolest thing about all of this is ...... when your 12 year old son starts to drop you down a technical single track descent which you've been riding before he was born!! Amazing!!

Thanks all, this was fun.