Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Scotte,

I'm jealous of your son for more than just the bike

Scotte- That puts it in perspective. The kids in TMBRA (TX) my husband sees are not racing hard courses riding bikes spec'd out like this. They are riding the beginner loop I ride with my $200 Craigslist hardtail. I was speaking more to what I see generally than your child specifically, some of the kids I see are nice, polite and appreciative. Some of the adults don't deserve their bikes either I think it is just a lack of manners in the world.

And again, I probably at any given time had a grand in bowling balls, yes bowling balls. But bowling paid for 2 years of college, I had a blast for 16 years until I burnt out hard and fast. Good luck to your son this year.

Ellen- If you are in Austin I have a couple of girls I can call for rides at the beginner/intermediate trail. Real fun group who put up with me being slow as molasses. Be sure to come tell us about your adventures.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Scotte
    I am glad that you found a good home for the bike. I really, really want it but my business is dead. I tried to justify buying it to myself...you know...for fitness, to combat the depression that is settling in,...but....I don't know how I am going to pay my mortgage or my business van payment or anything else right now. Kills me to lose the opportunity at a great deal for a bike that actually fits me, but things are very bleak for me and I should not be spending on anything but essentials. Thank you for the opportunity.
    Sounds like your son is a gifted athlete. I wish him (and you ) much success. He is fortuante that you see his potential and are willing and able to support him in his endeavors.
    Ellen, congratualtions on a great buy of a great bike!
    Last edited by mmouwse; 02-12-2009 at 08:13 AM.
    =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadger View Post
    Yup, that is my excuse... I did it just to protect you Mel :-)
    So if anyone ever asks, you can tell them that you bought the bike for a good cause!
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

Quote Originally Posted by melissam View Post
    So if anyone ever asks, you can tell them that you bought the bike for a good cause!
    Hey, Auntie Em. I have a very nice 14" Litespeed Unicoi for sale.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Hi Scotte,

Your son may not be able to express his gratitude to you at his young age, but believe me, when he gets to be in his 30's and has his own kids, he will understand your sacrafices and giving him the once in a lifetime opportunity. You're kid only once. And you are giving him a lifetime of not just wonderful fond memories, but more like one phenominal unbelievable memories where others can only dream.

How can I say that? well my parents allowed me to do things too. Like when I was training on alpine skiis. I shattered it during one practice run. That evening, I had a new pair of Rossignol skiis with brand new salomon bindings all fitted to my boots etc. I was able to go to the practice the next day. They drove me to practice without ever complaining... And the memories I will cherish forever. My sister only got a brand new CJ-5 jeep on her 16th birthday (Nanu-nanu was the rage at the time). I think I had much better deal

Financial responsibility when they grow up? Well. I manage my money carefully, prudently. I own my own house in a beach community of LosAngeles suburb. I have no credit card debt, car is fully paid, and house will be mortgage free in few more years. So if you raise him right, he will know the value of money when he grows up.

I wish your son success at his races with many happy memories to come.

Wish you well, You are a one heck of a wonderful father.
    smilingcat

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    Hey, Auntie Em. I have a very nice 14" Litespeed Unicoi for sale.
    OK, who's gonna buy SK's Unicoi so I don't have to? Come on, it's for a good cause!!

Not me! Not me! I already did my part for the cause
    Support me in my fight against MS!
    http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/Ellen.Mallman

Maybe Sadie should post it to temp the masses. And torture those of us who can only dream.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadger View Post
    Not me! Not me! I already did my part for the cause
    True dat! You are exempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Maybe Sadie should post it to temp the masses. And torture those of us who can only dream.
    Unfortunately for some of us, "Litespeed Unicoi" + Google = Temptation

- My name is Melissa and I'm a bike-a-holic

Quote Originally Posted by melissam View Post
    True dat! You are exempt.

Unfortunately for some of us, "Litespeed Unicoi" + Google = Temptation

- My name is Melissa and I'm a bike-a-holic
    You'd be surprised. It's a 2000 frame so it's a deal. This would be a great bike for someone who wants a hardtail or a commuter bike.

Components
    --Newly installed new and unused Race Face Evolve 170 mm crank and BB
    --Cane Creek Crono Wheels with Michelin Comp S tires front and rear with very little wear
    --Answer Manitou Ti Spring Fork /70 mm travel
    --Cane Creek S-5 headset
    --XT 8 sp shifters with XT front der and XTR rear (rear der has very few miles)
    --Avid Speed Dial 7 (adjustable) levers and brakes
    --Easton carbon CT2 seatpost
    --WTB saddle
    --Salsa fliploc collar
    --Could use a new chain

Geometry -- see pages 40-41 in catalog at www.litespeed.com/archives
    -Top Tube 21
    -Head < 71
    -Seat < 73
    -Chainstay 16.93
    -BBKT Height 11.75
    -Wheelbase 39.6
    -Front Center 22.8
    -Fork Rake 1.65
    -Stand Over 27.2 though my measurement is 26.75 at lowest point
    -Head Tube 4.2
    -Frame Weight 4.06

I haven't posted about the bike because it's too dusty to photograph and I don't want to wash it when it's this cold. Id take $900 which would include a $100 packing and shipping allowance. I have no idea what shipping and insurance would cost, but I would take it to www.webcyclery.com here in town to be professionally packed since I have no experience packing full bikes for shipment.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.