Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

a used ocr 3 great for an intro rider?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone!

I've lurked on this website for years. I find the people on the forums very helpful...and I love to shop for great workout gear

I've been indoor cycling for 4.5 years now. I had wanted to get into outdoor cycling but I was a)out of cash b) very afraid that I'm too clumsy to ride on the streets = lovely battle scars

well....after comments from roadies thinking I ride outside, I think it's time I start looking for a bike. That and I'm really looking foward to riding on a bike that fits me properly (lessened back pain).

I've checked craig's list, ebay, my lbs etc. I haven't had much luck finding inexpensive, yet decent, bikes to get into (I just finished the phase as a poor student, and am now beginning my poor teacher phase)

I have located a giant ocr 3 (46cm wheel base) for roughly $500 cdn from a private seller. I'm sure I'll have to go into a lbs to get the bike re-adjusted etc.

Would this bike be acceptable to start off with? Should I wait to find something else? It seems difficult to come by wsd bikes for petite gals.

My stats:
    I live in Ontario, Canada with all the awesome coldness, snow and rain.
    I don't know if there are many hills where I'm going to ride, but I imagine there will be mixed terrain.
    I'm around 5'2 and around 130lbs.

Any and all advice is very much appreciated. I've always wanted to ride outdoors, getting the bike is a first step.

I would ask a few more questions like how old is the bike, what condition it is in and approx how many mile are on it. I sold my OCR 1 which has better components than the OCR 3 for $500 a few years ago. Do a little more research before you buy. It would also help if you went to a bike shop and test rode a few bikes to check size etc. Then you will have a better idea of what to look for in a used bike.

You can probably find a new one (left over 2008) for about the same price, or just a little more.

Or haggle with the seller.

Could this possibly be the OCR C3? That's the carbon version, so the price may be a bit more justified.

I bought a used OCR3 about 3 years ago for $200. It serves me VERY well!

what year is it?
    Being a giant dealer I can tell you that the ocr 3 is a beginner road bike. They were made up to last year. This year they are called the Avail.
    New last year was 650.00 msrp US $$. Dont know how that converts.
    I would say if it's a newer model then 450.00 american would be the most I would pay for one. And it would need to be in top shape.

Quote Originally Posted by thach8 View Post
    I have located a giant ocr 3 (46cm wheel base) for roughly $500 cdn from a private seller.
    Sounds a bit too expensive to me. Unless it's the C (carbon) one.
    I would shop around and find something else. You can probably find some very nice used bikes in the $500-600 range.
    Good luck

Thanks for the replies everyone! The suggestions are all very helpful.
    I thought I had posted a reply with pictures of the bike, but for some reason the posting didn't show up

Anyways, here's the link:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/410723/

I responded to the person to purchase the bike for $350. I'm not sure if they'll respond back with an answer.

for some odd reason I'm finding it very tough to find a used bike for a petite gal in ontario. There are no bike shops who are selling used road bikes.

I'm not sure if this bike is the carbon one or not, but I'm leaning towards not