Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Building strength/sore from cycling?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,

I am new to cycling. I ride consistently, 3 rides/week (2 on trainer, 1 outdoors).

My upper body is weak, especially my shoulders & upper back. They get sore from holding myself up on the bike.

So, I need to increase my strength so I don't get sore (and so I can handle the bike better), but how do I add in weight training for the upper back and shoulders when they are already sore from my bike riding?

My husband says just keep doing the cycling until my shoulders/back stop getting sore, then add the weights.

I'm not that patient! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hmm...
    Have you thought about starting with sit-ups? Often sore shoulders are as much due to a weak core as to a weak upper body. You might also get your bike fit double checked.

Though as long as you start slow, I don't think there would be any harm in doing some upper body work too - just do less than you think you are capable of for the first 2 weeks or so ...

Not sit ups.
    Planks.
    The transverse abdominus, the powerhouse, the core of all.
    See http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/a.../a/NewCore.htm

+1 on the planks.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I recommend Pilates. It's helped me a great deal. Have you had a professional fit for your bike? Sounds like your bike fit is not ideal.

Is your bike set up/sized correctly tho? Just wondering because you are saying you are having to hold yourself up....
    One day, I'm going to buy a cottage in a small village and become its idiot!

Cycling isn't a weight bearing exercise, so doing some strength training is a good idea anyway. Just don't go nuts too early with it and make yourself more sore. A strong core is also very beneficial.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Smile planks & pilates

Thank you for the plank exercise! I will start doing my pilates again, too.

I can concentrate on strengthening my abs, since they are not getting sore from the cycling, and see if that helps.

Yes, I did have my bike sized through Competitive Cyclist and checked by a couple of people, and I believe it's the right size. My last bike was too big and that was awful, I know what that feels like.

Yay, I feel better now that I have a plan. Thank you!

I was going to say Yoga--but yoga and pilates seem to cross over these days. YEP--on the plank. I thought I was in shape until spinning class. After spinning, we do abs--and the instructor ccomes over and leans on you during plank. I caved like a wet noodle. And you will build strength just riding your bike, but it always good to cross train.

My hubby always "poo-poos" new things--but usually follows when he sees results. He's now enjoying spinning class:-)
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by chollacat View Post
    Hi,I am new to cycling.* I ride consistently, 3 rides/week (2 on trainer, 1 outdoors).* My upper body is weak, especially my shoulders & upper back.* They get sore from holding myself up on the bike.* So, I need to increase my strength so I don't get sore (and so I can handle the bike better), but how do I add in weight training for the upper back and shoulders when they are already sore from my bike riding?* My husband says just keep doing the cycling until my shoulders/back stop getting sore, then add the weights.* I'm not that patient!* Any suggestions?Thanks!
    Check out this books: The weighttraining for cyclists, by Ken Doyle and The ultimate Guide to weight Training for cycling.First you are new to biking, it will take some time to get used to this sittingpostion, yes the shoulder get a little bit sore... add weight training into your training regime... it is not uncommen to get sore muscles when you start training new muscles... it will go away...Plank's would be a start for core/back, but there are many many different core excersises, to train the abs properly... slow movements, quantity and variety... this muscles have to be trained everyday... look for a good pilates class...Oh, and don't forget streching...And don't be to hard on your husband, he is right... I know how it is with married couples
    Hope I could help, good luck

Resi

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Planks it is--and so cost effective in this crazy economy.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    My problem with planks (and Pilates and yoga for that matter) is that if you do them incorrectly, either on your own or with an uninformed instructor, you can really hurt your back. Be sure to at least get started with a good instructor, and if you can, go to classes/instruction regularly in addition to doing the exercises at home.

Planks are great. IN addition you may want to do the 100 pushups program.

It's awesome! I think that yellow introduced us to it. I'll try to get links.

I teach spin class and after every class we do abs and pushups for core and upper body strengthening.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...hlight=pushups

I started with about 5 to 7 for each set and have been consistently doing 5 sets of 20 (2 or 3 times a week) since Thanksgiving.
    Last edited by silver; 02-15-2009 at 12:35 PM.
    "Being retired from Biking...isn't that kinda like being retired from recess?" Stephen Colbert asked of Lance Armstrong

I have a modified criss-cross crunch I call it I learned from pilates class I do. Plus, I pull my abs in tight any time I think about it during the day. Even sitting here right now. Those little things add up.

The thing that got SO tired for me when I first started that I did not expect was holding my head up. I told my doc (sports med guy and rides) about it. He specifically gave me a bent over single lat row to do. It works the muscles in the upper/back effort to hold up your neck/head.

All my upper body weight training is single hand held free weight dumb bells. Otherwise, one side tends to cheat the other.

Lastly, remember rest in weight training is important in gaining strength. When you are lifting, you are stressing and sorta tearing (for lack of better word) your muscles. During the "off day" is when they heal and grow bigger/stronger actually. One to two days inbetween is good. Over three days off and you start losing some strength gained.

It will get better... about 6 weeks is what I find is the breaking point to notice results... just keep at it!

Hi there,
    I have no idea if this is really working or if it's just me, but I kind of made up my own activity specific exercise for my core. Since I get so bored on the trainer, I practice sitting up and then gradually curling my upper body with my arms out reaching for the handle bars. Kind of a crunch on the bike while I'm pedaling. I don't know if it's really working but I'm almost to the point where I can control myself all the way down before my hand touch the handle bars. I do some crunches and upper body stuff (mainly push ups and dips since I hate going to the gym). But it's worked pretty good for me.
    Hope that helps. Have a great day!
    Gray
    Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul.
    Walt Whitman

My blog: A Gamut of Interests