Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The kinda gross thread

To disable ads, please log-in.

Last night we were giving Maggie her SubCu and it slipped out and she bled. It was weird, I have seen dogs blood when they cut themselves and it was dark but I guess it is different because of the needle? It was BRIGHT red, quite a few little drops on her black fur. Anyway, I am suddenly really bugged by my Koozie I use at work because it is the color of Maggie's blood.

Am I the only one who ever needs somewhere to express kinda gross thoughts?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Funny that blood doesn't bother me but when we did blood labs at school I couldn't bear to prick another persons finger.

Not because of the blood but because of inflicting pain

Here's the gross thing that I remembered instantly when I saw this thread: When I was an undergrad at Cornell we had to dissect a cow's eyeball in biology. It wasn't the eyeball so much that bothered me but the smell of formaldehyde that followed me to lunch and for many weeks after (in my head). Oog, that smell. Blechh.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

My human anatomy lab (with cadavers) was 2 hours long - and then I had to rush back to the cafeteria at my dorm before they shut down the dinner line. Not so hungry, but last chance to eat with pre-paid meal ticket : - (. True about the smell of formaldehyde - it seems to linger in your brain forever. Tokie

Bad associations:
    - In 1983, I had hepatitis. I ate a ton of peanut brittle just before I became gravely ill with nausea and vomiting; I still associate the sight and smell of peanut brittle with that experience.
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Still can't face Italian Wedding Soup. I made a pot of it in prep for having food to eat after having minor surgery. It was a BIG pot. Yes I froze some. But I really got tired of eating it, and haven't been able to face the recipe since. I associate how I felt after surgery with that big pot-o-soup, that translated in to multiple containers in my frig and freezer. bleh.
    Beth

I usually do not gross out at other's blood. DH had a pretty bad wreck a few weeks ago, while I was cleaning a nasty puncture that just didn't want to stop bleeding all I could think was "this is a pretty cool injury". I could not pack his open wound after his apendectomy got infected because he wrenched and screamed. My own blood in anything more than a minor cut will make me panic though.

At first Maggie's blood didn't gross me out then I got slightly queasy and now I have a maroon koozy.

I am not sure I could do human cadavers. My college roommate is a doctor, she was so excited about it in med school she called me "WE GOT OUR BODIES TODAY!!!" Different strokes.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I can't watch my blood getting drawn, but blood generally doesn't bother me. Although I have to admit that this fall when I cut the tip of my thumb nearly off at the dinner table, ten minutes later after I'd gotten the bleeding more or less under control, I really didn't have much appetite left for the rest of my plate.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Blood doesn't usually bother me but whenever my son had a nosebleed, I'd freak out. I also get very, very anxious about the finger prick blood tests but not about needles in veins, scalpels, etc.
    Cycling is the new running.

Visit my blog: http://www.riverofmuscadinespublishing.com/

When I was about 6 months pregnant with my last child, my job entailed training medical people on how to use dictation equipment. One of my last assignments was in the pathology cutting room of a major public trauma center. While I tried to remember all of the specimens represented a human who was having a rough go of it, I will forever be scarred by the sight of one man's entire ear and all the innards that accompany it. That, and the fluid filled fallopian tube 10 times its normal size that exploded when the technician touched it. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. (Okay, my keyboard actually stuck when I pressed e and w.)

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

We shared a walk-in freezer with an orthopedic lab when I was in Grad school. I was the only person in our group that was willing to go in the freezer, so I was often the errand girl. I never had any trouble with the human limbs and disarticulated torsos. Until one day I walked in and a woman's leg was exposed with perfectly manicured and beautifully polished toenails.
    I still get upset when I think about that. No idea why that bothered me, so much more. Why was displaced beauty more gross than the stark reality?
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

When I was 12, a friend of the family was an EMT and she regaled us with stories of car wrecks and such. The stories she painted onto my brain were so graphic, I can still summon them up even though I personally have never witnessed a really bad car accident.
    Also disturbing to me was that she said people's shoes always come off in car accidents. so whenever i saw shoes in the road...
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I went to a spinal anatomy seminar at a convention a few years ago. The presenter had cadaver parts, displayed on an overhead projector. I learned WAY more than I ever could from photos and drawings. Still, I was clear at the back of the big "ballroom," and that was as close as I wanted to be to that stuff.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet View Post
    I still get upset when I think about that. No idea why that bothered me, so much more. Why was displaced beauty more gross than the stark reality?
    Because the carefully painted toenails reminded you that the abstract 'piece of meat in a freezer' had only recently been a feeling and cared for part of someone. But you probably know that already.

I had to get used to a lot of 'gross' manifestations of death and decay during my mother's dying process two and a half years ago. I now push those images out of my mind and try to remember her as the beautiful woman she was.

On a different note...I recently started up a worm composting bin in a corner of my kitchen, and I had been a tiny bit apprehensive about handling a pile of squirming worms in my hands. I have enthusiastically raised snakes, tarantulas, and various creepy-crawlies in my day, but a solid mass of worms were something new to me.
    Not that I 'had' to hold them in my hands, but I felt if I were going to raise worms then I should not be afraid to get my hands right into them. I was pleasantly surprised when the 1000 worms arrived and I dumped them on the table- I quickly got over any squeamishness and in fact they felt kind of pleasant, all wriggly slowly as a mass in my hands. Not slimy or gross, more smooth and cool feeling.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    Because the carefully painted toenails reminded you that the abstract 'piece of meat in a freezer' had only recently been a feeling and cared for part of someone. But you probably know that already.

I had to get used to a lot of 'gross' manifestations of death and decay during my mother's dying process two and a half years ago. I now push those images out of my mind and try to remember her as the beautiful woman she was.

On a different note...I recently started up a worm composting bin in a corner of my kitchen, and I had been a tiny bit apprehensive about handling a pile of squirming worms in my hands. I have enthusiastically raised snakes, tarantulas, and various creepy-crawlies in my day, but a solid mass of worms were something new to me.
    Not that I 'had' to hold them in my hands, but I felt if I were going to raise worms then I should not be afraid to get my hands right into them. I was pleasantly surprised when the 1000 worms arrived and I dumped them on the table- I quickly got over any squeamishness and in fact they felt kind of pleasant, all wriggly slowly as a mass in my hands. Not slimy or gross, more smooth and cool feeling.
    eewww~~!!!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi