Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Brussels Sprouts!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I always thought I hated them. On the other hand, I don't think I'd eaten them since childhood, when they were most likely presented to me overcooked by my mother.

Soooo, the other night, a friend invited us over for dinner, and served steamed brussels sprouts as part of the meal. So, I gamely served some up for myself and, lo and behold, they were prettty good!

As I was preusing the veggie aisles at the grocery store this week, I happened upon a 2 lb bag of brussels sprouts, so I scooped them up and brought them home. Last night, I roasted 1/2 pound (tossed with a little olive oil, kosher salt & black pepper) for 30-35 minutes @ 400 degrees, shaking the pan every 5-7 minutes. They came out FABULOUSLY.

Who woulda thunk that I'd actually be looking forward to making myself brussels sprouts again for dinner???
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

Yummmmmmm.

My childhood b-day dinner menu - porkchops with applesauce and brussel sprouts. So, I was a tad weird. Ok, still am.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Yummy

Brussels sprouts have an undeserved bad reputation! Lots of people think they hate them. I have made it a personal goal to open their minds. I often serve brussel sprouts when I have guests for dinner. About 80% of the time people have that same reaction, "I thought I hated them"!

They are soooooo yummy!
    Bork Bork, Hork Hork!!

Quote Originally Posted by Adventure Girl View Post
    I often serve brussel sprouts when I have guests for dinner ..... They are soooooo yummy!
    Do you have any special ways to prepare them? I'm open to ideas. Although I must say that roasting them was a really tasty way to prepare them.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

I steam them for about 15 mins in my double vegetable steamer. They have to still be bright green, but a paring knife has to pass into them.

Then I add a bit of butter, sugar and chickcen stock (concentrate) to a cup or so of the steaming water, in the bottom half of the steamer* and turn them around in that. done.

*that's just my regular pot with a matching steamer thingie added on top - like so:
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 01-21-2009 at 09:06 AM.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

I've sauteed them with a bit of chicken stock, bacon and a sprinkling of toasted pine nuts. Turned out delicious.

Hmm....I may have to pick some up myself now that I'm only cooking for me for a few more weeks. BF does not like them unfortunately.
    Specialized Tricross Sport / Specialized Lithia 143

I've tossed them with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then roasted them with some onions.

I'm the only 'sprout lover in the house, so I have a supply of these on hand--single serving baby brussel sprouts!

Roasted w/garlic- yum!
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

Add a little bit of maple syrup when you toss them. Mmmm!

I roast mine, too. Olive oil, garlic, sea salt, pepper...whatever I have on hand, really.

At Christmas, I actually had a few left over so I threw them in our vertical chicken roaster (with carrots, potatoes, parsnips, etc) and they were delicious!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

DH cuts them in half and sautes them with garlic and a little hunan chili sauce. YUM.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    My childhood b-day dinner menu - porkchops with applesauce and brussel sprouts. So, I was a tad weird. Ok, still am.
    I never had this specifically for my birthday, but it was always one of my favorite combinations. And, yeah, I'm weird, too.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Wow, all these variations sound fabulous! I'm looking forward to trying several of them. Thanks!! Fortunately, Jeff liked them enough last night that he's perfectly happy with me making them again. Lucky me.
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

Yeah, lucky you. Bubba likes brussels sprouts somewhat but can't stand the smell of them cooking. So I'm always scouring restaurant menus or planning for days when he's out of town.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    I never had this specifically for my birthday, but it was always one of my favorite combinations. And, yeah, I'm weird, too.
    Too weirdness.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

I learned to eat them (along with a lot of other stuff I'd never heard of) in the college cafeteria, of all places. Now they're one of my favorites.

Others have posted with good suggestions... I like to steam them, or sometimes cook them in a little water with chicken stock, a squirt of olive oil, a pinch of brown sugar and about a capful of cider vinegar, and a couple slabs of BACON!

I didn't like spinach at all either, until I learned that the derned stuff didn't always have to be boiled down like turnip greens... Now it's one of my other favorites, (as long as it's not boiled ;-) )