Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Sun Protection

Question Sun Protection

To disable ads, please log-in.

I would like some input on good sunscreens for bike riding. Though I'm no teenager (far from it!) I find that all the sunscreens I've tried so far make my skin break out. I need to find a really good (30+ SPF) sunscreen that will stand up to sweat and won't clog my pores. Most of the higher SPF sunscreens I've seen are not facial sunscreens and most of the facial ones are 20 and below ?????

Also, I really want to find an helmet that has a decent visor that won't fall off. I know that many riders ride with their heads down and thus keep their faces more or less out of the sun, but I like to look around while I'm riding and I have a hybrid bike with higher handle bars. The helmet I have now has a visor that is mainly held on with double stick tape (it came that way, new!).

Thanks for your input!

Deborah

Try Bell helmets - if they fit your head shape. I kept the visor on mine. I hit my husband in the back with it whenever I get aero on the tandem , but he doesn't mind,

For sunscreen we use Coppertone Sport - SPF 30 and Coppertone Oil Free SPF 45. Neither seems to make me break out any more than normal.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

you may want to try a facial moisterizer that has sunscreen in it. You can always ask the cosmetician at your drugstore. They can be used on a regular basis and are made for the face.
    that's why I ride...

Wink

i use banana boat sport spf30 for body, and banana boat face sunscreen spf25. the face sunscreen comes in a yellow tube with blue writing. i am sensitive to creams as well. i also use neutrogena moisture lotion for face, yet it only has spf15.

hope this helps

goddess1222

For daily non sport wear I use Neutrogena Healthy Defense, it has an SPF of 30 and a moisturizer. It's not waterproof though and when I'm working out I sweat buckets. I'm also not really good about remembering to put more on after a couple of hours so I like to use the waterproof stuff - even if I pay for it with a few breakouts. I'd rather those than cancer!

TandemHearts.com

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I think I've tried most the the aforementioned sunscreens. I was hoping there was something I'd missed . As for the helmet, I find it odd that with all the info out there about sun protection, they don't make better visors for bike helmets. They make big floppy hats for gardeners and even baseball players get a decent brim on their caps. Why are bike helmets so scanty in the visor/brim department? After all, we're out there in the sun as much as anyone...And why are they so poorly attached? Double stick tape? Come on! Anyway, thanks again.

Deborah

My Bell doesn't use tape to attach the visor. It actually snaps in. My husband has a Giro that came with a visor and it snapped into place as well - although he took his visor off.

TandemHearts.com

I've been trying out an SPF30 sunscreen by California Baby. It's pretty water-resistant, and it doesn't seem to make me break out. California Baby products are geared towards babies (of course) and adults with extra-sensitive skin such as myself.

Take care, and hope this helps...

Off topic

Joycily,

Will you be doing the organized ride in Solvang in March? We're thinking about driving down for it - it's about 5 hours from us.

TandemHearts.com

Hi Veronica!

We've thought about it, but I suspect that we're leaning towards no right now. While it's about 3 hours away from us, it's also in the first few weekends right after our wedding so we have a number of family obligations for those weekends. *wry sigh*

Thanks for asking though! :)

-j

Wink still off topic

Congratulations! Enjoy the wedding festivities! Solvang will be there next year. I highly recommend Death Valley though. It was amazingly beautiful. Next year's fall ride is Oct. 18.

TandemHearts.com

Back to sunscreen

First, what kind of helmet are you using that has double stick tape on the visor? Sounds cheesy. Visors go on with velcro at least, but a good helmet has the visor attached with pegs and snappy things. Beautiful, carefully sreened skin isn't much fun with brain damage from a crummy helmet. Having crash tested a number if them, I promise thst just getting a better one is worth every penny. A solidly attached visor will keep the rain out of your eyes, too
    Now, down here in the blazing subtropics, we like Bullfrog Gel. It comes in spf 45 and hasn't made me break out. It's fairly waterproof and is a gel not a cream so you don't sweat under it. This may be what causes the breakouts?
    I don't put it on the forehead- the helmet should cover that and there is nothing more awful than sunscreen dripping in the eyes.
    Bullfrog makes a slew of products, all high SPF. Skiers and beach volleyball types like it too.
    Hope this helps.

missliz