Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Anyone had this happen

To disable ads, please log-in.

When I stopped for a short rest this AM, I noticed that I have what appear to be small cracks in the top and bottom of my headtube. I ride a 2004 Dolce Elite that I just got a couple of months ago. I have only ridden 10-12 times for a little over 200 miles. Any thoughts?? Problems like this?? Is Specialized good about backing up their product - or will I have a fight on my hands??

I'm sure since your bike is practically brand new and still under warranty, you should have no problem. Take it back to the shop where you bought it and show them the cracks. Good luck - this definitely should not be happening!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Let us know what happens! I just bought a 2005 version of the same bike last Friday.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

I am taking it to the LBS tomorrow after school so I should know something. Keep your fingers crossed that their warrenty is really, really good. I'll let you know.

Good news . . .

I just got back from my LBS, they had never seen that happen to a headtube. No hassles, no problems, they were calling Specialized as I left to get a new frame - probably an 05 instead of an 04 but who am I to complain. I am heading out on a biking vacation on June 12 and they said no problem I would have my bike back in plenty of time. I love to deal with reputable people who want to please their customers.

Good for you! I hope they treat you right and that you have a wonderful vacation! We'll have to have a report upon your return!

Yay! I knew they would do good by you - they don't want to lose your future business, of course. Great news!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Happy Happy Camper - I mean Biker

LBS called this AM and Specialized replaced my cracked 04 with a brand new 05. Not just frame, they just shipped a whole new bike. Major points for Specialized in my book. No questions, now problems, just sent a new bike. And in less than a week!! As you can tell I'm very excited. I picked it up late this afternoon and it is awesome. Well, I Jjust wanted to let everyone know how great Specialized was in backing their product. Thanks for listening.

good for them! that's the way it should be... hey, just FYI when you get the new bike VERIFY they sent the right size frame!

when I was a new cyclist I bought a Lemond Buenos Aires... couldn't tune it up and when it was checked by the LBS they realized it was 6mm out of alignment... I was riding a 51cm. Lemond sent a new one 3 months later (grrrr....)

After riding I would really hurt but being new I chalked it up to that same newbie-ness... finally bought a Litespeed, cause the Lemond just hurt... when I went to sell it I found out they had sent me a 53!!!! I ride a 49 now... so that frame was just a weeeeee bit too big...

probably a fluke, but just double check! Glad you're getting a new one... very cool!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

frame size

BC, what is your height? I'm around 5'6" and i ride a 54c

Hiya Buster! Good to see ya over here...

I'm 160lbs... but I have the "family" body... very long torso and very short legs ( a lot like a guy but with boobs )... so I ride a mens frame in a small size... I tried the WSD bikes (I really wanted a Trek Project One!!!) but the top tube was always too short and the frame too tall... so I went to mens but a smaller size...

this is why when a new person says "I'm 5'7" too so we should ride the same size right?" my answer is "NOOOO!!!" height is only a small part fo fit!

you must have some great looooooong girl legs!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

frame size

Hey girl! Have to thank you for telling me about this site. And you're exactly right! Two people could be the same height, but proportions would be different. My next bike I'm gonna go to a LBS with a sizing system. There are several in Atlanta. Basically what the LBS guy I bought my bike from did was have me stand on the bike and lift it to see how much clearance I had. (Real technical hu?) I love my bike, but I'm sure the fit could be tweaked. So my next bike I will pay the extra $100 and get a personal fit done.

Hope you had a good 4th.

A good tip someone gave me was that IMMEDIATELY after getting a bike fitted, mark your seat post, seat rails, handlebars - all the moveable parts basically with a small scratch in an inconspicuous place - that way if they should become misaligned due to a fall, or a friendly well meaning person with a screwdriver you can put them right back where they were.

Marking posts, stems etc def a good idea

The indoor trainer has 5 marks on it's stem for the 6 of us who use it...

Necessary...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Also remember about bike frames sometimes between different companies the frame sizes are a little smaller or bigger. I wanted to buy a Trek and would have needed a 54 but that was not in stock. So I ended up with a 52 by Cannondale that fits perfect except if you believe in the old standover method of bike sizing then it touches when I stand over. Not to mention a friend has a 54 Specialized that is to small for me. I am one of those longer torso types as well. Thus I can't ride WSD either. When I first started riding almost a year ago my seat was all the way down, now it is cranked up above the handle bars. Just proves what can happen as a person gets in shape.